New solo Elite attacks?

Twice in about 30 minutes of play I've had a situation where as soon as I exited a safe house (this is in the LZ) a single Elite came barreling around the corner and ran straight for me to attack. As soon as I open fire on him he drops something - not when I kill him, as soon as I start shooting.

I have never seen this kind of NPC behavior in D1 or D2, and the first time it happened it so totally 'threw" me I thought I had accidentally fast traveled to the DZ. I mean, he looked just like another player running at full steam and right at me to PvP. I am used to NPCs standing around half-blind and being able to creep right up on them without them even knowing you're there.

I don't think it was a Hunter, as it didn't look anything like one. Appeared like a standard Elite and was just as easy to kill.

Not complaining or anything, it's just such a huge change in behavior since I started Div 1 3.5 years ago I am curious if Massive had some statements about it, or if it's some kind of bizarre glitch.

Originally Posted by Sock_Monkey Go to original post
    Twice in about 30 minutes of play I've had a situation where as soon as I exited a safe house (this is in the LZ) a single Elite came barreling around the corner and ran straight for me to attack. As soon as I open fire on him he drops something - not when I kill him, as soon as I start shooting.

I have never seen this kind of NPC behavior in D1 or D2, and the first time it happened it so totally 'threw" me I thought I had accidentally fast traveled to the DZ. I mean, he looked just like another player running at full steam and right at me to PvP. I am used to NPCs standing around half-blind and being able to creep right up on them without them even knowing you're there.

I don't think it was a Hunter, as it didn't look anything like one. Appeared like a standard Elite and was just as easy to kill.

Not complaining or anything, it's just such a huge change in behavior since I started Div 1 3.5 years ago I am curious if Massive had some statements about it, or if it's some kind of bizarre glitch.
    he just is there to drop loot no big deal. he's a loot goblin

Originally Posted by nuxbag Go to original post
    he just is there to drop loot no big deal. he's a loot goblin
    Is that what that is? I've heard the term "loot goblin" used before but had no idea what one was.

Is that what that is? I've heard the term "loot goblin" used before but had no idea what one was.
    PLay Diablo III, they have loot goblins

Babou..'s Avatar Senior Member
    He sometimes stands and waves his arms in the air and says "Catch me if you can" lol Shoot him and he drops a piece of loot, kill him after that and he drops nothing

zigMAGNA's Avatar Senior Member
    just btw.. that dude is programmed to take 1... just 1 pot shot at you with his pistol... to get your attn.

He won't even hurt you.. he will take his 1 pot shot..and then run away... trying to entice you to chase him.

You shoot him and land one shot.. and it should drop 1 high end loot from him... any additional shots you hit him with.. will go towards killing him.

Originally Posted by KnightGhostbear Go to original post
    PLay Diablo III, they have loot goblins
    Here are a few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TVybclya0Q (Gem Hoarder goblin)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glBFTX9z4T0&t=3m19s (bottom right is a large gold chest.. the player is a MONK class who clicks the gold chest and it opens with a blood shard goblin that pops out with a loopy laugh)

Diablo 3 has different types of goblins.. but they all offer some type of loot..and the concept is the same.
    Thus..dude here in Div 2 is a "loot goblin" essentially.

YodaMan 3D's Avatar Senior Member
    For me, the more times I have killed him, the more aggressive he gets. Never hurts me, but I have been attacking lvl 4 CPs and had him come at me.

T73s37K's Avatar Member
    So, what is the 'official' name (or, should say 'enemy type") of this loot goblin dude, BTW?

Originally Posted by T73s37K Go to original post
    So, what is the 'official' name (or, should say 'enemy type") of this loot goblin dude, BTW?
    I was wondering this same thing; Is this a nickname the players came up with, or does Massive actually use the "Loot goblin" term?

Originally Posted by zigMAGNA Go to original post
    just btw.. that dude is programmed to take 1... just 1 pot shot at you with his pistol... to get your attn.

He won't even hurt you.. he will take his 1 pot shot..and then run away... trying to entice you to chase him.

You shoot him and land one shot.. and it should drop 1 high end loot from him... any additional shots you hit him with.. will go towards killing him.
    Well I am a very, very part-time player (and an old dude to boot) so obviously not up at all on the latest in-game stuff, and had no idea about these guys. So when he came barreling around the corner full speed and right at me I was quite surprised, since it was a totally unknown NPC behavior to me, and I opened up on him right-off.

I actually thought the first time might have been a SW glitch or something, but after the same happened a second time I thought I'd ask here. :-)

Thanks for educating me!