What I Like about Just Dance 2020

I've avidly played Just Dance 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019, and this summer I went through the other years of the Unlimited catalog (JD1 thru JD4, 2014, and 2016) for the second time. I'm really excited about Just Dance 2020.

Most of the extremes this year are really extraordinary. They look really smooth the way the coaches perform them, the variety of moves are fun to try to time, and they look really cool. Some of the moves feel really good. I like the rhythm of the movements better than in previous years. They seem more natural, less counterintuitive.

The seated dance to God Is a Woman is phenomenal. I never imagined that a seated dance could be this good. The Diamonds seated dance was pretty good, but God Is a Woman is simply WOW.

Xbox Kinect seems to be scoring the Just Dance 2020 dances more reasonably.

The choice of songs for the All-Star Mode seems pretty reasonable, in terms of which dances would offer a reasonable experience for players across different platforms and modes of game play. Having explored different platforms and modes, I know that most dances that are easy on one platform or mode are hard on another. I think the team did a good job of finding dances that don't tend to be too frustrating on a particular platform/mode (while also meeting whatever other goals you were trying to deliver with the All-Star mode).

There are always a couple of silly dances in Just Dance. Sometimes, these seem bothersome. I was never a fan of Shaky Shaky; it was a little uncomfortable to do regularly with Kinect. But this year's silly dances seem all right to me. I don't mind Baby Shark or Infernal Galop.

I like the new option to sort by Score. It makes it easy to find all the new dances down at the bottom. Thank you very much. This is incredibly helpful.

I'm sure the millions of Just Dancers have a variety of needs and opinions, and realize that mine is just one. But I'm really excited and wanted to express my thanks.
     1 people found this helpful

This is a wonderful post, GreekPhysics! I've only played JD2020 for a few hours so far, but I love all the effort the devs put into this version! The extremes truly are extraordinary this year, and there's 9 of them!!! I'm going to have to watch several on YouTube in slow motion to thoroughly know what I'm doing, and I love the challenge! I also appreciate the attempt to include tap dancing in "Always Stay on the Bright Side of Life" - it's not a style you can easily learn by following along, but for a 10 year anniversary tap dancing feels like a necessity. The All Stars Mode is so nostalgic - the very first Just Dance song I ever played was "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry in 2010, and my best friend and I would dance battle "Rasputin" every time we saw each other for a few years. Just Dance has been a near constant in my life for 9 years, and there's so much I could say about how much these games mean to me. Thank you Just Dance!!
     1 people found this helpful

Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Thank you both for sharing your detailed feedback!

Originally Posted by Black_Widow9 Go to original post
    Thank you both for sharing your detailed feedback!

I have some advice for you guys to take in consideration for Just Dance 2021:

• Be selective with the songs you want for your games old and new songs. If there is a song you can't make a professional choreo with a unique feeling to them, skip it. Don't just go for chart topics, go for songs that could make your routines stand out as something amazing, complex, and unique

• Give I your absolute all of the teams and choreographers love and energy for all of your games and routines like JD4 and JD2014. Whenever you guys make routines, one single move should not be repeated, if so, your routine will likely be awkard and will be negative recepted. They should have a unique and kind of professional way of making them stand out as something fantastic, make them really memorable, eye-popping at best. Prove you ARE THE BEST.

• There should me more unique and harder choreos in the game. Seriously, you are losing fans because of it. It sounds shallow, yes, but you have to please the fans.

• Modes like Kids Mode NEEDS to be removed to never return(and WE AREN'T PLAYING) because fans hate this series because of that. It should be be replaced with Just Sweat mode similar to it's fitness routines in Just Dance 4. And making Party Master Mode should be tweaked and make better expanded like in JD2014

• Stuff like Mash-Ups and Battle Mode(from JD4 and JD2014) should return, reasons here: https://youtu.be/T51hjYlHWFc

• You guys should really focus on trying to be expansion of Just Dance 4 and Just Dance 2014. Take both of those game's strongest points and strengthen them. Really try to be THE BEST from the menu design to the choreos.

• DO NOT make goofy alts. The fandom wants to see a lot more extremes and Sweat/Fitness choreos or choreos that improve over the classic choreos in every way

• Instead of making the Just Dance games just it's own thing, make a few new series based on what people want. All of those songs and choreos should be alternates of the main songlists it will save more money for it. Example: if you want to make dances for kids, make a game centered around kid dances and PLEASE remove kids mode the fans are begging. For the kids games dances, make them alternates of the main songlists if people want choreos like those big professional studios like 1MillionDanceStudios, make a game for professional choreos which will make your choreographers unique moves shine. If people want a workout choreos(which should always be there in every Just Dance game), but if you want a combo of everything without the "childish and lazy" choreos, then thats the main JD series that's similar to JD4 and JD2014 where routines were unique, energetic, and stood out fantastically.

• Also, if Ubisoft is going bankrupt, start a Kickstarter to raise money so you could afford more choreographers and artists

Remember make next JD game to turn some luck around. Try to make your next JD game the best of the Just Dance installments. If you guys show that you guys are at least listening to the fans and critics by Tweet, video, live stream, instagram post etc., we would appreciate it. Please Ubi people like me are paranoid. Prove you are the best and put your 1,000,000 times of effort, love, and energy into the classic routines, alternates, and basically every thing you make in JD2021 onward until the end.

Originally Posted by AaronB2516 Go to original post
    I have some advice for you guys to take in consideration for Just Dance 2021:

• Be selective with the songs you want for your games old and new songs. If there is a song you can't make a professional choreo with a unique feeling to them, skip it. Don't just go for chart topics, go for songs that could make your routines stand out as something amazing, complex, and unique

• Give I your absolute all of the teams and choreographers love and energy for all of your games and routines like JD4 and JD2014. Whenever you guys make routines, one single move should not be repeated, if so, your routine will likely be awkard and will be negative recepted. They should have a unique and kind of professional way of making them stand out as something fantastic, make them really memorable, eye-popping at best. Prove you ARE THE BEST.

• There should me more unique and harder choreos in the game. Seriously, you are losing fans because of it. It sounds shallow, yes, but you have to please the fans.

• Modes like Kids Mode NEEDS to be removed to never return(and WE AREN'T PLAYING) because fans hate this series because of that. It should be be replaced with Just Sweat mode similar to it's fitness routines in Just Dance 4. And making Party Master Mode should be tweaked and make better expanded like in JD2014

• Stuff like Mash-Ups and Battle Mode(from JD4 and JD2014) should return, reasons here: https://youtu.be/T51hjYlHWFc

• You guys should really focus on trying to be expansion of Just Dance 4 and Just Dance 2014. Take both of those game's strongest points and strengthen them. Really try to be THE BEST from the menu design to the choreos.

• DO NOT make goofy alts. The fandom wants to see a lot more extremes and Sweat/Fitness choreos or choreos that improve over the classic choreos in every way

• Instead of making the Just Dance games just it's own thing, make a few new series based on what people want. All of those songs and choreos should be alternates of the main songlists it will save more money for it. Example: if you want to make dances for kids, make a game centered around kid dances and PLEASE remove kids mode the fans are begging. For the kids games dances, make them alternates of the main songlists if people want choreos like those big professional studios like 1MillionDanceStudios, make a game for professional choreos which will make your choreographers unique moves shine. If people want a workout choreos(which should always be there in every Just Dance game), but if you want a combo of everything without the "childish and lazy" choreos, then thats the main JD series that's similar to JD4 and JD2014 where routines were unique, energetic, and stood out fantastically.

• Also, if Ubisoft is going bankrupt, start a Kickstarter to raise money so you could afford more choreographers and artists

Remember make next JD game to turn some luck around. Try to make your next JD game the best of the Just Dance installments. If you guys show that you guys are at least listening to the fans and critics by Tweet, video, live stream, instagram post etc., we would appreciate it. Please Ubi people like me are paranoid. Prove you are the best and put your 1,000,000 times of effort, love, and energy into the classic routines, alternates, and basically every thing you make in JD2021 onward until the end.
    Agree or disagree

Agree or disagree
    Both! I agree and disagree. :-)

First of all, I'm very pleased with Just Dance 2020. It has everything I expected and more. For me, there is a good variety, it seems like it has dances for different audiences and different cultures. (I like the inclusive nature of Just Dance.) It has a record number of extremes and in my opinion they have brought the extremes to a wonderful new level. The seated dance is phenomenal. There are a lot of different styles of dance moves to learn. I'm finding a lot of challenging moves to learn and improve, even on the regular dances. I enjoy most of these songs. (I can't expect to love all 100%, but it's surprising how many I do love, and this year, I don't mind my least favorites.)

go for songs that could make your routines stand out as something amazing, complex, and unique
    I would put all of the JD 2020 extremes, the seated dance, and several of the regular dances in this category. That's just my opinion though.

There should me more unique and harder choreos in the game. Seriously, you are losing fans because of it. It sounds shallow, yes, but you have to please the fans.
    With a record number of extremes in JD 2020, I would expect you to be happy with the current progression. :-)

As to whether or not they are gaining or losing fans, Ubisoft has tangible data. Surely, they are looking at sales, views of various dances (like demos) online, perhaps they have game play data to see what is danced to the most, etc. When I visit the WDF, there are a small percentage of players showing mastery of all the dances. I would think a great percentage of players need repetition on easier dances and need many easy and medium dances in the game. But Ubisoft doesn't have to guess or use our opinions; I'm sure they have ample data to help them judge by (but I'm sure they also appreciate all the opinions they receive on the forums, social media, and the many other ways they can listen to feedback). Maybe you are right. Ubisoft should have indicators as to what is right, and I'm sure they listen.

Modes like Kids Mode NEEDS to be removed
    Why? This mode is outside of and separate from the main game. What harm can it possibly be doing? There are parents and kids using this mode. I don't know if the number using it is significant; again, I bet Ubisoft has data to determine this. But the kids using this mode are future avid Just Dancers, so even if the number is small, it is important for the future customer base. This mode is just an option; it doesn't interfere with the main game.

You guys should really focus on trying to be expansion of Just Dance 4 and Just Dance 2014. Take both of those game's strongest points and strengthen them.
    It's obvious that you are very passionate about Just Dance (I am too, by the way). That's great. I'm sure the Just Dance team appreciates your passion and will consider your input.

Personally, I really loved JD 2015, but I also love JD 2020. In some ways, I feel that JD 2020 is better, but again that's just one opinion.

Every year, the game will surely be different to some extent. Change can be scary. Sometimes change is good.

Happy dancing. :-)

Originally Posted by greekphysics Go to original post
    Both! I agree and disagree. :-)

First of all, I'm very pleased with Just Dance 2020. It has everything I expected and more. For me, there is a good variety, it seems like it has dances for different audiences and different cultures. (I like the inclusive nature of Just Dance.) It has a record number of extremes and in my opinion they have brought the extremes to a wonderful new level. The seated dance is phenomenal. There are a lot of different styles of dance moves to learn. I'm finding a lot of challenging moves to learn and improve, even on the regular dances. I enjoy most of these songs. (I can't expect to love all 100%, but it's surprising how many I do love, and this year, I don't mind my least favorites.)

I would put all of the JD 2020 extremes, the seated dance, and several of the regular dances in this category. That's just my opinion though.

With a record number of extremes in JD 2020, I would expect you to be happy with the current progression. :-)

As to whether or not they are gaining or losing fans, Ubisoft has tangible data. Surely, they are looking at sales, views of various dances (like demos) online, perhaps they have game play data to see what is danced to the most, etc. When I visit the WDF, there are a small percentage of players showing mastery of all the dances. I would think a great percentage of players need repetition on easier dances and need many easy and medium dances in the game. But Ubisoft doesn't have to guess or use our opinions; I'm sure they have ample data to help them judge by (but I'm sure they also appreciate all the opinions they receive on the forums, social media, and the many other ways they can listen to feedback). Maybe you are right. Ubisoft should have indicators as to what is right, and I'm sure they listen.

Why? This mode is outside of and separate from the main game. What harm can it possibly be doing? There are parents and kids using this mode. I don't know if the number using it is significant; again, I bet Ubisoft has data to determine this. But the kids using this mode are future avid Just Dancers, so even if the number is small, it is important for the future customer base. This mode is just an option; it doesn't interfere with the main game.

It's obvious that you are very passionate about Just Dance (I am too, by the way). That's great. I'm sure the Just Dance team appreciates your passion and will consider your input.

Personally, I really loved JD 2015, but I also love JD 2020. In some ways, I feel that JD 2020 is better, but again that's just one opinion.

Every year, the game will surely be different to some extent. Change can be scary. Sometimes change is good.

Happy dancing. :-)
    About the kids mode, I said to make them into separate series based on what people want with the same song list as the main games. So if people want to make dances for kids, then make it a separate JD game with kids dances. If you want something similar to those big studio dances like 1MillionDanceSudios choreos, then a specific audience could go get JD2020 or JD2021 Professional Version(I know its corny but it's what I can think of). Want dances sorely focused on workout choreos, BOOM, Just Dance games of Workout songs. But if people want a combo of all the things like professional, yet quirky choreos with harder dance moves and choreos WITHOUT the kid style dances, like JD4 and JD2014, then that's what the main series is for that is the main Just Dance series. Not only would it reach out to more people to buy their games, but from a business standpoint, they would gain even more money.

As for Kids Mode, everyone, including me, hates the mode. It is pointless to work on and it really needs to be replaced with a much better mode like Just Sweat was in Just Dance 4 with its own fast paced, workout, hard, sweat inducing choreos.

I would sorta agree.

I have noticed a definite trend of the dances slowing down over the years. You play earlier JD's and the moves are much faster. Having said that the moves have become more technical. So it's this odd thing where you're moving slower but with a larger variety of moves in a song.

I honestly thing part of that is the actual songs themselves. When JD started the charts were full of dance music set to a straight 120BPM. Right now we have charts full of grime and electronica, but surprisingly little dance, there's a lot of stuff that's either slightly too fast or slightly too slow. So the actual rhythm and pace of the songs must make it harder to choreograph for.

In terms of the game modes. Yes I agree spin off JD Kids into it's own title, leave more dev money on JD for other things. But I disagree that JD itself should just be about a workout! To me JD is a fantastic and hilarious party game, it's also a great workout and I love the extreme mode songs now and then, I just don't want them all the time.

For me the ideal JD would be :

Unlimited World Dance Floor for anyone with Unlimited subscription.

More "Party" songs (i.e. get some DJ's from some good clubs to pick their top tracks that get people going and pick from that list rather than the Charts alone).

Revamped menu-system. Too many button presses to just get dancing (or to stop dancing). It's in the title. I want to fire up JD and basically be dumped right into the WDF, then bring up a sidebar menu to leave and go somewhere else if necessary. Also I want "sweat mode" built into the WDF as a toggle/mode, heck why not always have calorie counting on and have a second list showing your calorie ranking as you play?

I use a Kinect. Ultimate JD knows this and doesn't ask I want to use a Phone every time I launch it. In fact it has nothing but the Ubisoft Titlecard, the JD loading screen and then straight into the WDF, I think I mentioned this already.

I want more "achievements", e.g. right now you can get one for all "good" or better, I want ones for even better scores. I want ones for nailing a particularly tough segment of a song, especially in an extreme version of a song.

I don't care about cosmetic items in the game unless other players can see my cosmetics. Therefore during dancing I want to see my name and those around me (not just the top 3) a little larger and with our cosmetic items like animated fonts for our names or scores. Our gamertag more visible. Maybe if room is the problem make a ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Ultimate JD doesn't just want me to dance and have a good time, it's also my trainer and wants me to do better. It spots exactly what I'm doing wrong and lets me know what it is so I can nail those high scores, i.e. on kinect tell me which limbs are out and if they should be higher, lower, etc. It also has a training mode where the dancers explain the more complex steps like a real dance lesson for the extreme dances. And finally a mode where you can rewind and replay a section or loop over just one section or move till you get it right.

Ultimate JD also has a party mode. It just plays random songs without stop from the local library so anyone can step in or step out, like a local only version of WDF.

Speaking of local library. To save bandwidth Ultimate JD will use the videos in other versions of JD you have installed as part of its library.

Yes I agree spin off JD Kids into it's own title, leave more dev money on JD for other things.
    Okay. This makes sense to me. If the money/time/effort put into kids mode could instead be put to make the game better, I would be a fan of that. Maybe there could be a Just Dance Kids, as a separate game rather than a separate mode. (Seems like I've seen special versions geared towards kids in the past.) A nice thing about it being its own separate game is that parents wouldn't be concerned about kids exploring the non-kids mode when not supervised.
    It also has a training mode where the dancers explain the more complex steps like a real dance lesson for the extreme dances. And finally a mode where you can rewind and replay a section or loop over just one section or move till you get it right.
    These would be really helpful. (Though the scoring could also be adapted to be a little more challenging this way, too. If I have the chance to practice and experiment with a move repeatedly, or if in practice mode it would give me hints about my mistakes, the game could be a little more demanding on the scoring in regular mode.)

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing. Happy dancing. :-)