They gave us remastered for free not to long ago, other companies might have called that an expansion pack and sold it
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by kami-kun Go to original post
    They gave us remastered for free not to long ago, other companies might have called that an expansion pack and sold it
    You'll likely find they gave it away for free because DLC's is where the money is at and a free update refreshes the IP, keeps users interested and more importantly keep them downloading.

There is always an ulterior motive for corporations and that motive is always money. Short term loss == long term gains.

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by kami-kun Go to original post
    Ubisoft gave a new version of Steep and a whole new mountain for free in June after E3.

zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by zenframe1 Go to original post
    There is always an ulterior motive for corporations and that motive is always money. Short term loss == long term gains.
    Hmmmm...I would imagine that a company's primary motive would be profit. (unless it is not-for-profit organization, which I don't think Ubi is).
    And I think the condition (Short_term_loss == long_term_gains) would be false for many cases.

"Ubisoft revealed its sales and earnings figures for the first half of 2019-20 financial year this week, revealing a massive 93 percent year-on-year decline in operating income.

In a press release, Ubisoft pinned the blame almost entirely on Ghost Recon: Breakpoint but it’s worth noting that The Division 2 didn’t meet sales expectations either. However, there was no mention of that in the financial report."

Originally Posted by zaxcv4321 Go to original post
    And I think the condition (Short_term_loss == long_term_gains) would be false for many cases.
    It would be false in many cases, but I don't believe it is in this instance. Development of Remastered wouldn't have been a massive time sink comparative to writing an entire new codebase, and it extended the lifetime of the product meaning continued revenue from the DLC, which I expect will have been considerable historically given the success of the product and the engagement of it's users.

zen, its taken them 4+ months to simply port Rocksmith from 32-bit IOS to 64-bit IOS.
    Load the code up on a new box and click "build".

Now multiply that by 6 platforms...

PS3 PS4 Xbox360 Xbone Steam IOS is not so trivial.

(you can make an argument that the code will work on the older systems w/ no changes but then bugs like "it takes 15 minutes to enumerate songs" creep in)

Originally Posted by pedietz Go to original post
    zen, its taken them 4+ months to simply port Rocksmith from 32-bit IOS to 64-bit IOS.
    Load the code up on a new box and click "build".

Now multiply that by 6 platforms...

PS3 PS4 Xbox360 Xbone Steam IOS is not so trivial.

(you can make an argument that the code will work on the older systems w/ no changes but then bugs like "it takes 15 minutes to enumerate songs" creep in)
    My point is not that producing software for multiple platforms is simple - or that simply producing software is simple in any way shape or form. I'm a developer myself so won't be entering into any discussion re that. That's Ubi SF's problem and I don't know enough about their systems to make comment.

My point is STILL that by releasing the remastered update for free they promote customer engagement and satisfaction, extend the lifetime of the product and make more money from the DLC's because more users will upgrade and use the software than if the Update was paid for.

At this late stage in the products life cycle Ubisoft make most money from DLC sales, rather than from sales of the Rocksmith itself, so that is what they would naturally want to promote.

zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    I was happy to purchase the original RS, dlc for the original, then again for RS 2014. I would have also paid for the remastered release if they had charged for it, because I think it was that good of an improvement. So I was very happy that they offered the upgrade for free, but I can see their incentives for doing so.
     1 people found this helpful