Brutom's Avatar Junior Member
    I was wondering what your impressions and opinions of it are; since I'd expect that many of you here have tried it?
    I've had it since last weekend and like it pretty well so far, although I'm sure I don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks!

Brutom's Avatar Junior Member
    I was wondering what your impressions and opinions of it are; since I'd expect that many of you here have tried it?
    I've had it since last weekend and like it pretty well so far, although I'm sure I don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks!

I've only got the demo, but I LOVE IT. An amazingly immersing and detailed game. The demo mission has you IIRC defending the Seelow Heights from the dirty Russians as they continue their advance (this is 1945). You have enough "money" to get 2-3 tanks and Pak guns. Coming up against you is about 40 Russian tanks + SP guns, plus infantry. Under the sheer weight of numbers you are forced back across the river, where more Russians came from another direction. It was at this point when I was first playing it that I thought "bugger it, if I'm gonna die I'm gonna take as many of them with me and keep fighting. Just when the end seemed near, reinforcements arrived! Panzers, Panthers, Waspe's and halftracks came from the heights, and I was successfully able to defend against the Russian advance. After I won, I slumped back in my chair, half baked in sweat, n thought 'This game is cool '

Yet to get the full game, but if I ever see it around here, I'll be sure to buy it

Been playing it over Hamachi with a friend. The original multiplayer maps only give every player like 3 tanks and some infantry, which doesn't make for very interesting battles. We managed to modify the maps units however so we can have epic large scale tank battles

space_bandit's Avatar Member
    This is one of the few games I have,I played combat mission to death, yet did not know this game had been released until the new 1C forum popped up. Hopefully more people will give it a try! Looking forward to the "uber" patch, hopefully soon!

ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Wanted to love this...waited eagerly for months but was very disappointed.Something about it just didnt work for me .....Maybe it was the 'funny' zoom in/out mechanism or lack of 'easy' controllability of units....Not that delighted with the more recent WW2 RTS which has just had an expansion pack released or the 80s 'Soviet invasion of USA ' one either (their names escape me just now but most will know the ones I mean)
    Medieval 2 total War is of course gloriously beautiful to look at even if its just Rome Total War underneath.
    I still await a WW2 /modern warfare combat RTS that I enjoy as much as the napoleonic Imperial Glory
    Having said that Im having a blast with Defcon which takes strategy to a global extreme in the most gruesome way in a delightfully simple but striking fashion...

I quite like the detailed vehicle damage system and the afv battles.

I dislike the infantry system. Not enough cover for the little Pixel men and you have to micro manage them. As a company or battalion leader I don't want to tell Private ******* to check for more ammo from his dead mate, 1 meter away, when he has none left.

Also dislike the battles to the last man, the terminator AI elite and the need for killing all the enemy.

Ultimately I want a tactical challenge with well simulated ww2 background as a game system. It's not quite there yet. I like Close Combat 2 and 5 much more, despite their own shortcomings.

I agree with most above. Lots of micro manage is needed. I find myself hitting the pause at least once a minute. It is a difficult balance to create a game where you feel involved and not just watching a war movie.
    As of writing this a "uber patch" is in the final stages, mission editor etc.... If they can fix some infantry issues and LOS we may have a very good game. my .02

huggy87's Avatar Senior Member
    imho, it doesn't hold a candle to its forefarther, the combat mission series. TOW is prettier to look at, but the missions don't seem to work as well. Not to mention, it crashed fairly often.

I haven't played it in many months so maybe a patch has fixed the crashes.

i have the game with the last patch applied the game looks fine it is really nice. but there is not inside house combat smoke (something done in Combat Mission) and the missions are fun but difficult too...

I am waiting the uber patch (1 Gb pacht) that will comes out shortly it will address some of the issues of the game and also the add on that will add house in house combat.