The current concept of Loot ain't working in Breakpoint

A lot of players (including me) want to get to a max gear score to customize and craft the gear to fit into a specific role and create *builds* for their playstyles.
    The current loot mechanics don't support this, because the game has a soft cap past score 230, slowing down the item gains significantly, limiting you to a grind of lvl 250+ Wolf Bases ( only 2 on the map) thus blocking you out of 95 percent of the remaining Map content because it ain't giving you any progress if you already finished all the main and side quests.

After about 80 Hours in the game, i finally managed to get to Gear Score 250, only to see another piece of gear drop at 252 after a elite faction side quest, and that kinda killed the game for me, seeing that i'm still not through with that grind and the only possible way to get higher is to get elite faction missions and possibly raids which require a good 4 Player Team later on.

The currently highest content on the map is Gear Score 250, i really don't understand why you didn't make a hard cap at this point, and raise it up with later dlc's instead?
    There are plenty of great loot shooters like your own brands Division, or Borderlands which both have raising hard caps, that are fairly easy to get to, but here it's like a mindless grindfest?
    You guys are on the best way to fall into the same hole, that Anthem had begun to dig, and i seriously hope, you start analyzing other looter shooters to turn back into the right direction!

The whole loot concept in this games does not feel rewarding in any possible way, and to be honest the game would be better without it, because in it's current state it's just a half baked attempt to blend features from the Division into the Ghost Recon Franchise.
    Ubisoft advertised this game with the *new* loot mechanics and i, as a mid 30's experienced gamer when it comes to Loot Shooters, Shooters and RPG's, see no future for the game if it will stay like this. Since i really loved Wildlands, i seriously don't want to see this game die, when there's so much potential in it!

The easiest fix for now on would be to soften up the soft cap at around score 230 to get a steady +1 supply of gear up until 245+ and then you would have to start grinding wolves to 250 to hit the newly set cap. You can still raise that up with a later dlc.
     2 people found this helpful

jdkzombie's Avatar Banned
    Division world is alright with gear and item score, but this game doesn't have the "feel" for item score.

What I don't like is how often you get so much crap so fast that we spend tons of time swapping gear out over and over because so much "crap" is dropping. Also what I don't like is that blue, purple, and yellow tier all only have 2 bonuses for modifiers. Blue should have 2, Purple should get 3, and Yellow should be 4 and for the love of god stop with the +to automatic marking on sniper rifles.....I am not gonna sneak through and clear a base with a HTI on my back, I'm going to sit way back on top of a high point and take out targets from afar.

Also what is unfortunate is that there is absolutely no difference between a level 10 blue or a level 175 blue, or a 200+ blue, no change in stats, no increase in damage, no nothing other than an arbitrary number change to make us think we are improving ourselves. I went and cleared a 150+ Wolves base at gear level 64 because I wanted the weapons case, and it was no more difficult or easy than it is now at item level 178. Now those big crazy looking tank drones at the Drone sites? Level 200 something things? Yeah those are mean, I even tried taking one out at level 150 with an attack helicopter with missiles, didn't even dent the thing, and its anti air missile wrecked my bootyhole because the flying in this game is dumbed down and feels lifeless and numb.
     3 people found this helpful

On top of that you get 0 standard weapon drops at that level. So upgrading to mk.3 is not an option past 200 gear score.
    To anyone reading, upgrade your weapons to mk.3 asap, before you never get standard drops ever again.
     1 people found this helpful

Just reading the words 'gear score' in a GR forum feels - wrong.

It's like being in an ice cream parlor and someone opens a can of onions and garlic...
     9 people found this helpful

The loot concept is fine when it's just standard rpg looting in single player like in such games as STALKER, it all went wrong when real money got involved and it became an online thing.

Virtual-Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    The loot system is a blight on this game for sure. In fact, it actually accomplishes nothing except gating some enemies and content early in the game that is totally unnecessary.

However, I would like to suggest that any player who has focused on grinding to max gear level is feeding the system. Why do so many players feel addicted to maxing out their gear level? There is literally nothing to be gained after GS150. Going any further and getting frustrated with the drop rates and distraction of that is totally on you.

I actually wish that everyone completely ignored the gear and was GS 5 for the whole game - using head-shots for the win. That would send a message to Ubisoft we don’t give a sh1t about their sh1tty loot system. But instead we have GS addicts that just can’t get to max gear score fast enough... you realize you guys are the reason we have this sh1t in this game... right?
     7 people found this helpful

SofaJockey's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't understand the obsession with the manic chase for a maximum gear score.

Enjoy the game, the journey, the exploration, the story. Don't go chasing the 'end game' as you'll miss out on 'the game'.

Your gear score will increase naturally as you play.

After 70 hours my gear score is in the 70's and I've frankly not paid that much attention to it.

Originally Posted by Virtual-Chris Go to original post
    The loot system is a blight on this game for sure. In fact, it actually accomplishes nothing except gating some enemies and content early in the game that is totally unnecessary.

However, I would like to suggest that any player who has focused on grinding to max gear level is feeding the system. Why do so many players feel addicted to maxing out their gear level? There is literally nothing to be gained after GS150. Going any further and getting frustrated with the drop rates and distraction of that is totally on you.

I actually wish that everyone completely ignored the gear and was GS 5 for the whole game - using head-shots for the win. That would send a message to Ubisoft we don’t give a sh1t about their sh1tty loot system. But instead we have GS addicts that just can’t get to max gear score fast enough... you realize you guys are the reason we have this sh1t in this game... right?
    Ohh now that would make for an interesting play-through...THe GS system is out of place and is a distraction to the flow. I tend to ignore it till the end of my session and then equip and dump what ever is left.

Virtual-Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by bungyfreek. Go to original post
    Ohh now that would make for an interesting play-through...THe GS system is out of place and is a distraction to the flow. I tend to ignore it till the end of my session and then equip and dump what ever is left.
    True. I’m certain that if you are good at head-shots you could take Walker out in the first 10 minutes of the game and go onto complete the campaign with very low GS.

Originally Posted by SofaJockey Go to original post
    I don't understand the obsession with the manic chase for a maximum gear score.

Enjoy the game, the journey, the exploration, the story. Don't go chasing the 'end game' as you'll miss out on 'the game'.

Your gear score will increase naturally as you play.

After 70 hours my gear score is in the 70's and I've frankly not paid that much attention to it.

It's just a natural thing, that if you play a game that was advertised with *loot mechanics* to expect them to make it meaningful for the player.
    To be honest, it currently just isn't. If you look at Borderlands 3, they did everything right what Breakpoint did wrong. Gear comes with different stats, every manufacturer has different traits and your gear stats have a direct impact on the games difficulty. In this game, armor only matters if go ham against wolf or sentinel bases with drones and your guns are basically the same, no matter what level they got.

I'm on your guys side with the fact, that the whole loot mechanic in this game destroys a lot of what Wildlands has made a great game in the past, but if you *advertise* the game with said mechanics, i can *expect* as a Customer to get a well crafted System with a meaningful impact on the Game and the Players.

A open ended grindfest of 2 Bases and 1 Behemoth Camp past a certain point just isn't.
    And before you come up with enjoy the gameworld and stuff... After 80 hours, all main and sidequests and 16 Battleranks including most of the clues on the Map, it's kinda justified to expect to be far enough to max out your gear on a currently set hard cap and optimize it to your likings. Thats a major point of what looter shooters are about in the end.

All i want is my good old Wildlands back.... But if i can't have that, fix your game plz!
     2 people found this helpful