View Poll Results: Should the ranked level requirements be increased?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%
    Originally Posted by D4NW0LF Go to original post
    I don't think people really fear smurfs, they just got annoyed if say a plat is smurfing in silver, which is understandable.
    Especially if they are trying their hardest just to stomp the people statistically lower than them

Very true, I'd be fine with it staying as is but at the same time with how the game has aged and new people still coming in I kinda feel that newer players need a little more practice before ranked. So maybe 40 would be too low but at least it's a fair initial test. Ideally I think 60-80 would be the golden zone and probably more so 60 than 80.
    50-60 might be a good shot.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    I love it!..First you guys think Casual is a cesspool of janky wankers..and that Ranked is much more balanced for the players. And you want the Ranked CL to be increased for the new players?!?

NO..Ranked was fine before..and it's still fine. Increasing it would be unfine to the new guys..and more or less won't do anything about Ranked janky wankers other than to hold them in the Casual pen. Where most all new players are.

IMO..it's a bad idea to increase Ranked CL..

Coop you need to calm down dude.

In my opinion it's unfair for players to be paired with a newcomer at level 30 in ranked, and be it if they're in their placements they can get into Gold/Plat games if they get lucky/carried with a couple of wins. Thus putting a strain on their team mates. It'll also probably not be a fun experience for them as they'll probably get orders barked at them and also killed frequently for bad positioning.

And yes, while it may hold them in the casual pen, at least when they get to 15(20? can't remember exactly) they can play unranked a fair bit more which will teach them more strats to use in ranked than what casual does.

All increasing the cap would do is force the newcomer to play more unranked first before ranked, which is a good thing so they get a much better experience rather than playing a couple of unranked games than jumping over.

XP isn't hard to get anyway with the constant club challenges so really it wouldn't slow them down getting to the required level if they really want to get into ranked.

I do feel at times though coop you just want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Pulu.'s Avatar Senior Member

In my opinion it's unfair for players to be paired with a newcomer at level 30 in ranked, and be it if they're in their placements they can get into Gold/Plat games if they get lucky/carried with a couple of wins. Thus putting a strain on their team mates. It'll also probably not be a fun experience for them as they'll probably get orders barked at them and also killed frequently for bad positioning.

And yes, while it may hold them in the casual pen, at least when they get to 15(20? can't remember exactly) they can play unranked a fair bit more which will teach them more strats to use in ranked than what casual does.

All increasing the cap would do is force the newcomer to play more unranked first before ranked, which is a good thing so they get a much better experience rather than playing a couple of unranked games than jumping over.

XP isn't hard to get anyway with the constant club challenges so really it wouldn't slow them down getting to the required level if they really want to get into ranked.

I do feel at times though coop you just want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.
    Well life is not fair most of the time.

Why you have to force people to play unranked? These 30lvls who go play ranked anyway gonna get most of time copper-bronze rank. If you are 30lvl and you play placement matches you are not gonna be gold or plat with couple of wins.

2500 MMR (gold IV) is where you start. You lose or win about 100 points per match. So if you play eight matches and win couple. Then your mmr is 1700 and that is bronze IV. Its not like fact that every match is 100 points what you lose or win cos it depend enemy mmr too but if you are first timer ever you are not gonna get that gold or plat atleast if you solo que.

Ofc its possbile that you got so lucky that you win evey placement match but i think its rare.

Life isn't fair, but that doesn't stop us from making it fairer and more enjoyable.

It's a fair point a lot new level 30s will end up in bronze/copper however why should those in low gold/silver be paired with them initially in their ranked games? 2500 is Gold III now iirc.
    Unranked is pretty much R6S's new baby to, if new players have to play it before ranked a bit more it's a positive and helps them along with their future team mates in ranked.

I understand why you (and others) might think that I play devils advocate more than usual, but it's for a reason.

However, Nothing about what I posted before us untrue. What you want is a better Ranked matchmaking..which includes new players and smurfs. The smurfs will absorb any changes made while the new players get a barrier to which is constantly trying to include smurfs. So, while the new player that just want's to join Ranked (for whatever reasons), the main issue is Smurfs.

A new Ranked player used to be able to play a Ranked Tiered "fair" match at CL 20. Now, because of the influx of smurfers, it's now 30. The poor new guys have to wait to get play with new found Ranked friends in Casual..but an increase of the Ranked CL would increase their time to play Ranked with said new friends.

I'm trying to get the new players a early foundation for when they might possibly get a Ranked group. This can't happen as much if Ranked CL is increased.

The true problem is mixing smurfers (or even cross platform players) with new players. If there were no smurfers then who cares what level a player needs to be to join Ranked. You would be inclined to Ranke up with a group or risk getting your placement matches with a newbies mmr.

Basically, the increased Ranked system would bone the new guys and bone the experienced at the same time. I vote to not bone the new guys at risk of having extended boundries for the more experienced players (smurfers or cross platform players).

It's for sure a difficult problem to address, and it's not so easy to just look at one particular positive over potentially negative impacts on ALL players.

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    I understand why you (and others) might think that I play devils advocate more than usual, but it's for a reason.

However, Nothing about what I posted before us untrue. What you want is a better Ranked matchmaking..which includes new players and smurfs. The smurfs will absorb any changes made while the new players get a barrier to which is constantly trying to include smurfs. So, while the new player that just want's to join Ranked (for whatever reasons), the main issue is Smurfs.

A new Ranked player used to be able to play a Ranked Tiered "fair" match at CL 20. Now, because of the influx of smurfers, it's now 30. The poor new guys have to wait to get play with new found Ranked friends in Casual..but an increase of the Ranked CL would increase their time to play Ranked with said new friends.

I'm trying to get the new players a early foundation for when they might possibly get a Ranked group. This can't happen as much if Ranked CL is increased.

The true problem is mixing smurfers (or even cross platform players) with new players. If there were no smurfers then who cares what level a player needs to be to join Ranked. You would be inclined to Ranke up with a group or risk getting your placement matches with a newbies mmr.

Basically, the increased Ranked system would bone the new guys and bone the experienced at the same time. I vote to not bone the new guys at risk of having extended boundries for the more experienced players (smurfers or cross platform players).

It's for sure a difficult problem to address, and it's not so easy to just look at one particular positive over potentially negative impacts on ALL players.
    See that's a good reply, replies like this wouldn't antanganoise people in the way you have in the past.
    Though while it is mixing smurfs and newcomers a little, smurfs will get XP very easily and quickly and be able to play ranked with their smurf, whereas a newcomer will actually have to wait a little and increase their skill level before playing ranked.

I don't see that as boning newcomers at all. And if new comers want an early foundation for ranked, there is unranked.

See that's a good reply, replies like this wouldn't antanganoise people in the way you have in the past.
    Though while it is mixing smurfs and newcomers a little, smurfs will get XP very easily and quickly and be able to play ranked with their smurf, whereas a newcomer will actually have to wait a little and increase their skill level before playing ranked.

I don't see that as boning newcomers at all. And if new comers want an early foundation for ranked, there is unranked.
    I see an increase in Ranked CL boning newcomers..because un-ranked is not an achievement. There is nothing to be gained from Casual or Un-Ranked. So basically, simply getting a high enough CL is an achievement before you ever were allowed to get into ranked.

And what about the disparity of new players meeting vets (like myself (who isn't very good)) and being able to participate in this 'exclusive' Ranked mode?

Circomstantially, I don't think it's fair for the new players to increase the Ranked CL.

*Sorry for any spelling or context, but I'm working off an old Insignia 10" windows tablet/thingy..it's a real pita!

Unranked is still more competitive than casual overall though, and ranked won't be 'exclusive'.
    Level 60 isn't even that hard to get to, and wouldn't take that long. Level 50 is also a potential increase but by a little less and I've stated I think any increase would be a bit more helpful.

A lot of vets, good and bad also play unranked so newcomers will more than likely get tips from there, they would also be able to potentially make some friends to play ranked with in the future more so than jumping into ranked with a lot less experience and potentially just be pooped on.

NATural22cHANce's Avatar Senior Member
    My 2 cents:

Don't increase the CL, but lower the MMR that a brand new player starts with in Ranked. I don't think it's super likely that newbies, on average, will be able to hold their own in the high silvers. Bring it down from 2500 to 2000 or so. I don't know what that does for the smurf issue, but if they're trying to de-rank they will get down there anyway, and if they're playing legit I guess they stomp for a couple more games the first season they play on that account.

I don't think you can have an ideal system when "new account" doesn't always mean "new player."