Are we forced to use specific weapons in order to level up?

I understand that Armour/Clothes all come with levels but the player still has the option to customise how they look whilst maintaining stats bonuses. But does this apply to weapons?

Lets say I want to use a lvl 2 shotgun. But in order to level up, I need to equip my level 3 sniper. Is the a way around this?

NLxAROSA's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes, get the blueprints for your favorite weapons, then you can craft them at will (and a small fee). That said, I stick mostly with what the game gives me (I stick to Sniper and DMR/ASR. All the loot crates you loot will reset over time with new stuff, check the map to see what they contain and then just go there and loot only the things you want.

Auron1_TLM's Avatar Member
    Gear level is based on the average value of all weapons+gear you have equipped.
    Having a single piece of lower level won't prevent you from finding better stuff unless its level is FAR lower, in that case you won't find better stuff until you change that single piece of gear.

3-4 points of difference in weapon level won't break (slows it a bit) your progression.

BubbleHeadDiver's Avatar Junior Member
    I guess I don't understand the concept of blueprints - If I can loot them in-game, why do I need to find a blueprint to bring back to Maria for someone to craft?

Originally Posted by BubbleHeadDiver Go to original post
    I guess I don't understand the concept of blueprints - If I can loot them in-game, why do I need to find a blueprint to bring back to Maria for someone to craft?
    You don't have to bring them anywhere, once you find them go to the crafting page in shop (either Maria or Camp) and craft one, it will be higher or same lvl as your score
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by BubbleHeadDiver Go to original post
    Let say you like to play with the AK47 which is lvl 10. At some point your other gear reaches rank 20 but your AK47 sits still at lvl 10. In order to have ur favourite weapon at lvl 20 you need to find it or craft it if you have blueprint.

I like to play with TAC50 but reaching higher GS on other items, forces me to also change the sniper rifle to something elese than TAC 50 with higher gs. If tou have blueprint you can craft it at the gearscore you are currently at.

The first thing I did after visiting Erewhon, was go out and hunt down my favorite weapon Blueprints. I mean at gear level 12 I was going up against the Wolves level 200 on the island for the Bren 805. I went out and got the G28 Blueprint. Did the quest line for the Stoner LMG. After that I dont worry much about things. i can get my Favs at any time in the shop and still try out SMGs, Shotguns, Snipers, whatever.