UbiCosmos's Avatar Community Representative
    An interesting topic that I think is a great point of discussion, OP! Thanks for creating this, it's interesting to see everyone's varying opinions on the change to a more open world of Assassin's Creed.

Originally Posted by impcaeaug Go to original post
    Big maps aren't a problem for me but Odyssey should have been given more development time to make the open world look more pleasing and not generic.
    Originally Odyssey wasn't supposed to come out until two years after Origins but that all changed a few months later and I believe that was because the game that was originally scheduled for Fall release 2018, Skull and Bones, flopped so they rush this out the door to make up for it ..... The best evidence that it was rushed was the massive changes to RPG system very 6 weeks and the fact they obviously had no set plans on how they were going to raise the level cap so you ended up with engravings stuck at 5 stars when they needed to be 7 stars after the level 70 increase and it also caused a lot of engraving to get broken (Like the top engraving not going past 8 after the level 99 increase) Cripes I felt like a beta tester for the first 6+ months

Since Skull and Bones flopped again (And seems to be dead in the water ... pun intended) I'm afraid they are now rushing Gods and Monsters out the door which like Skull and Bones is obviously targeted towards AC fans ..... After the bad experience of buying Odyssey at release (the first game I've done so in over a decade) I'll definitely hold off on Gods and Monsters until it's been out a month or two (or maybe more) because I don't want to be a beta tester for a game I paid big bucks for again

The problem with being on the Cutting Edge is too many times you end up bleeding out ....... That's just as true with hardware as it is with software ....

From a purely Assassin's Creed point of view Odyssey (and to a (significantly) lesser extent Origins) were absolute Nirvana.

Ubisoft literally went from putting you inside French Revolution Paris to putting you inside ALL OF ancient Greece with each region and city completely different and with so much depth. From an AC point of view it really was the pinnacle in what it set out to do as an AC game (historically).

The problem was the meaningless little "gameplay" additions, bring this to that person, kill this person, clear the road of wolves for that person. So many meaningless little identically repetitive filler elements just to puff up the hours of the game. It really reminded me of the repetitiveness of AC1.

Compare that meaningless filler with the Paris stories of AC: Unity, or the historical Parisian crime solving missons, or the historical French Cafe theatre missions.

Those meaningless filler missions in Odyssey COULD have been actual historical events from the period, that would have had meaning.

Then again I have played almost all of Odyssey using a trainer (one shot kill, unlimited health) and am only halfway through the DLC and already clocked in 302 hours. I see it more as a historical simulation (never got the flaming sword, or poison sword, or other fantastical abilities) and try to keep it as realistic as I can. I can't be bothered to dodge boss fights to perfection after dying 15 times. I just want to learn as much about ancient Greece as possible.

Odyssey really is the perfect AC game if only it didn't have so much meaningless filler. That and the actual bigger problem of the lack of an in game encyclopedia. That was the biggest mistake in terms of "history is our playground" Ubisoft made with AC Odyssey. Yeah the (really sporadic) little historical interest icons were there, but that was just a fraction of what the in game encyclopedia gave us in earlier AC games. Some people don't care for it, fine, you don't need to look at it. But there is a danger that AC loses what made the franchise so great for history buffs.

A lot of us wanted to finally see the first and most famous historical war ever brought to light in an AC franchise (Trojan War 1250 BC) but it looks like that will be way in the future on some future generation hardware.
     1 people found this helpful

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Achilleus- Go to original post
    I just want to learn as much about ancient Greece as possible.
    Then stop playing the main game and focus on the Discovery Tour!!!

Originally Posted by UbiCosmos Go to original post
    An interesting topic that I think is a great point of discussion, OP! Thanks for creating this, it's interesting to see everyone's varying opinions on the change to a more open world of Assassin's Creed.
    Thank you Ubi Cosmos, the open world is one of the important things of the series and its is very interesting to talk how it will evolve and change in future Games

From a purely Assassin's Creed point of view Odyssey (and to a (significantly) lesser extent Origins) were absolute Nirvana.

Ubisoft literally went from putting you inside French Revolution Paris to putting you inside ALL OF ancient Greece with each region and city completely different and with so much depth. From an AC point of view it really was the pinnacle in what it set out to do as an AC game (historically).

The problem was the meaningless little "gameplay" additions, bring this to that person, kill this person, clear the road of wolves for that person. So many meaningless little identically repetitive filler elements just to puff up the hours of the game. It really reminded me of the repetitiveness of AC1.

Compare that meaningless filler with the Paris stories of AC: Unity, or the historical Parisian crime solving missons, or the historical French Cafe theatre missions.

Those meaningless filler missions in Odyssey COULD have been actual historical events from the period, that would have had meaning.

Then again I have played almost all of Odyssey using a trainer (one shot kill, unlimited health) and am only halfway through the DLC and already clocked in 302 hours. I see it more as a historical simulation (never got the flaming sword, or poison sword, or other fantastical abilities) and try to keep it as realistic as I can. I can't be bothered to dodge boss fights to perfection after dying 15 times. I just want to learn as much about ancient Greece as possible.

Odyssey really is the perfect AC game if only it didn't have so much meaningless filler. That and the actual bigger problem of the lack of an in game encyclopedia. That was the biggest mistake in terms of "history is our playground" Ubisoft made with AC Odyssey. Yeah the (really sporadic) little historical interest icons were there, but that was just a fraction of what the in game encyclopedia gave us in earlier AC games. So people don't care for it, fine, you don't need to look at it. But there is a danger that AC loses what made the franchise so great for history buffs.

A lot of us wanted to finally see the first and most famous historical war ever brought to light in an AC franchise (Trojan War 1250 BC) but it looks like that will be way in the future on some future generation hardware.
    Thats the biggest problem of Odyssey for me. I like the open world design but the missions and locations feel like the where just here to fill it and give you exp points instead to be an real experience. I want to explore to world to have a great Adventure and experience a lot of things not to just get some points and stats up. But that's a problem of Origins to, after a time the locations get repetitiv to because you always do the same. Its nice to see that the world has different areas but that doesn't help because the missions and locations in these are the same as in the other areas you explored before. Kill someone, steal something or burn down stocks, it feels the game is designed about this structure. I wish we get more variety in the mission design like tomb missions from ACII, Da Vinci missions from Brotherhood, Stone Circles from Origins etc. the series has so much to offer they just need to look back and bring more variety in the missions design this will help the world design too.

Next thing are the missions a lot of missions in the old games deal with actual history but most of the mission design in odyssey where pure fantasy and stuff that never happened in real history, that was a strong point of the old games.

As I said before the world doesn't need to get bigger it need stuff and locations that give you an different and unique experience instead just points and fill the world.

ballon009's Avatar Member
    “Let him who illuminated me, illuminate you”. Sorry for kryptonic phrase. As much as it sounds cool it is deceptive and devoid of meaning. The very same principle is applied to that quote. See the CEO does not know video games. He has no idea how odyssey is different from unity. He is very good at being manipulative.

He is not saying your gonna get a unity. He is saying you will be stuck with open world games with many sparodic side quests. Since he believes unity was a 15 hour game with a bunch of bad side stories.

That is what odyssey is. The main story is 15 hours long with a metric ton of boring grindy side quests.

So for those fans who think RPG is a good thing we’ll good for you. But think about the fact we have 45+ RPGs coming out this year. All of them are same boring hunk of trash. So if AC is a rpg it won’t stand out. Their game won’t sell well. Because we gave OD the benefit of the drought. But it still is a horrible AC game. And barely passable RPG.

What he is doing is being coy. To get you to buy the next game. Hence why you all should restrain yourself
     2 people found this helpful

Locopells's Avatar AC Forum Mod
    Originally Posted by ballon009 Go to original post
    “Let him who illuminated me, illuminate you”
    Thank you Henry Jones Sr! (not an exact quote I know, but I assume that's what you had in mind?)

Originally Posted by ballon009 Go to original post
    “Let him who illuminated me, illuminate you”. Sorry for kryptonic phrase. As much as it sounds cool it is deceptive and devoid of meaning. The very same principle is applied to that quote. See the CEO does not know video games. He has no idea how odyssey is different from unity. He is very good at being manipulative.

He is not saying your gonna get a unity. He is saying you will be stuck with open world games with many sparodic side quests. Since he believes unity was a 15 hour game with a bunch of bad side stories.

That is what odyssey is. The main story is 15 hours long with a metric ton of boring grindy side quests.

So for those fans who think RPG is a good thing we’ll good for you. But think about the fact we have 45+ RPGs coming out this year. All of them are same boring hunk of trash. So if AC is a rpg it won’t stand out. Their game won’t sell well. Because we gave OD the benefit of the drought. But it still is a horrible AC game. And barely passable RPG.

What he is doing is being coy. To get you to buy the next game. Hence why you all should restrain yourself
    I admit you we should expect too much out of these words because a CEO would of course said something that pleasant new and old fans. But yes in the next time a lot of RPG Games will come out and I would be worry if Assassins Creed goes down under them it needs to be unique like the old formula.

The RPG way has given us new problems even within games by Ubisoft himself. Assassins Creed , Far Cry, Ghost Receon etc. all of them have now RPG elements in them and their Open worlds becoming more like designed around to grind exp instead of experience something.

With RPG Path had taken a lot of Things from other great RPGs but for the Open World Design I think Ubi should more look to games like Breath of the Wild were the exploration is something special and unique.

I still haven’t done most of the Cafe Theatre missions, Murder Mysteries, Nostradamus Enigmas, Paris Stories and the social club missions in Unity. Might do those.

Unity is (surprisingly) still the most realistic depiction of bustling city crowds in any AC game. Eventhough you’d think they would have topped that by now.

And no it’s not because of population differences. Late 18th century Paris housed 600,000 citizens. Ancient Athens 493,000 citizens (63,000 citizens, 30,000 metics, 400,000 slaves).

It’s like they regressed the tech after Unity.

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    I still haven’t done most of the Cafe Theatre missions, Murder Mysteries, Nostradamus Enigmas, Paris Stories and the social club missions in Unity. Might do those.

Unity is (surprisingly) still the most realistic depiction of bustling city crowds in any AC game. Eventhough you’d think they would have topped that by now.

And no it’s not because of population differences. Late 18th century Paris housed 600,000 citizens. Ancient Athens 493,000 citizens (63,000 citizens, 30,000 metics, 400,000 slaves).

It’s like they regressed the tech after Unity.
    Yeah but Unity only offers Paris and Versailles... Odyssey gives us Athens, Sparta and an extra dozen cities.... It would be comparable if Unity included Lyon, Marseilles, Bordeaux etc.