Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot, Confirms Ubisoft Will Not Be Returning To Shorter Games

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09...9-a2395a82a3af

I'm sure this doesn't come as much surprise to anyone, but it has been confirmed that Ubisoft will not be returning to shorter games. In the interview, it was asked if Ubisoft would ever make anything Assassin's Creed Unity sized again, and Yves responded "no". And that was for Assassin's Creed Unity. An open world game.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Splinter Cell is almost certainly completely ****ed. What I don't get is why they even bother with the IP AT ALL anymore. Yves had once said they have people looking at the brand, but seriously, if this is their new development philosophy, what's even the point? Whatever will come of it will be completely unrecognizable to what Splinter Cell was, even more so than it already is.

I'm afraid that Watch Dogs is now to Splinter Cell what Assassin's Creed is to Prince of Persia.
     3 people found this helpful

LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    I always heard that it was very risky for a company to put all their eggs in the same basket and I really think that it is in the case of Ubisoft.
    Only making open-world games and abandoning the experience and the expertise of knowing how to make other types of games is really stupid. Of course open-worlds are on the rise for now but how long will it last ?
    I really feel that developers are not creating the games at Ubisoft anymore. Their games are created by their marketing teams and the shareholders who ask to developers to build games which will create more and more frustration and greediness into the players in order to make them buy more and more microtransactions.
    Ubisoft just ruined a lot of their franchises with that strategy and the generalization of the open-world, it brought them a lot of money but they don't see (or don't want to see) how much they ruined their franchises and the great potential that they had.

I really hope that after playing Cyberpunk 2077, gamers will ask for more and more immersive-sim games with smaller maps but with more interesting, diversified and challenging quests and gameplay features (without microtransactions).
    And I hope another studio will one day takes inspiration from the old Splinter Cell formula and create a new and modernized hardcore stealth game in a proper way, just to show to Ubisoft that it is possible. Because let's face it, the further we go in time and the more our hopes for a great Splinter Cell game are vanishing.

millian1m's Avatar Member
    Yes

Knot3D's Avatar Senior Member
    Doesn't come as a surprise nor do I care anymore.

They've gone way beyond that point of even the tiniest bit of hope for the franchise.
    Just get your stealth gaming kicks elsewhere and/or in different forms. Just make sure you don't put any more money in Ubi's pockets.

The only hope is a sort of renaissance of the entire gaming industry as a whole....which might not be due until next gen hits full stride.

RaulO4's Avatar Senior Member
    dont ask for a splinter cell game anymore. i dont want to see a RPG, loot drop, open world, and MTX splinter cell in my life.

Originally Posted by RaulO4 Go to original post
    dont ask for a splinter cell game anymore. i dont want to see a RPG, loot drop, open world, and MTX splinter cell in my life.
    Agreed.
    I was just watching some gameplay footage of the GR Breakpoint beta and it's so sad and lame how they turned it into a "RPG" & loot game with all areas of the map, enemies, equipment and guns having different levels. To me that is such a lazy, anti-immersive and unrealistic way to introduce a game supposed to be a realistic Tom Clancy game. But it's been a long time that they don't respect that anymore in their games so I'm not really surprised.
    It's just funny how much bullsh*t there is in their developer Q&A about this:
    Originally Posted by Ubisoft
    Q: We’ve seen a lot of questions from our community about tiered loot, both weapons and equipment. Can you go into the team’s philosophy behind their implementation in Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint?
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint remains a skill-based military shooter – this is the core identity upon which the rest of the game has been built. All of the player customization elements included in Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint are there to add depth to the military shooter gameplay, while staying true to the spec ops experience. [...]
    https://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/game...con-breakpoint
    It looks like something written by some dude from the marketing team who doesn't know a lot about the franchise and who's just here to find a prettified reason to justify all the microtransactions and so on...

Knot3D's Avatar Senior Member
    Last of Us 2 : https://youtu.be/fhMma6QzR3E
    Just watch the whole dam video.

I called it. Games like this and Hitman are the few remaining games of meaningful stealth that CAN work in today's gaming market.
    They're the proof that Yves is making BS statements.

We all know that a solid SC stealth game is technically feasible, especially with the huge potential that franchise has and with all the new technologies it could benefit for its improved and modernized gameplay.
    But we also guess that it doesn't fit with current Ubisoft's policy and also because making stealth games is a risky bet in nowaday's market. But in my opinion it is risky only when the game is not properly introduced to the players or has a bad marketing campaign, which happened with SC Blacklist, Hitman 2016, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Styx 2 and Dishonored 2.

I feel that the more we advance in time and the more the chances that a new traditional SC game being developed will be reduced. So Yves Guillemot making those statements is just pure communication so that their ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ players are not frustrated and keep a good image of Ubisoft.

Thanks for sharing this video of Last of Us 2.
    I really want to see more about AI, I hope they also improved it for stealth.
    However I read in a preview that they kept the buddy being invisible and inaudible to the enemies and that's something I really hated in the first game, it just ruined immersion.