Innovations from other games

As a User Experience Designer in real life I can't help but make comparisons between Odyssey and other 9/10 and 10/10 popular games out right now. While I haven't played everything NEW out today, I have played quite a few to completion. Here are my comparisons from Horizon's and God of War:

Horizons Zero Dawn
    • Zip lines
    • Multi-shot
    • Elemental damage
    • Bows in general
    • Woman protagonist
    • Legendary Animal fights (as compared to any fight in Horizon's)
    • Mythical Creature fights (felt like Death Bringers to me)

God of War
    • Spoiler:  Show
      Ares Madness
    • Mythical Creature Fights (felt like Valkaries to me)
    • Bows in general
    • Spoiler:  Show
      Hades

What other comparisons have you found yourself making while playing?

Bit of a reach. Zip lines have been in Assassin's Creed games since the Ezio days (can't remember if it was in AC1)
    Elemental damage has always been a factor with poison darts, again back in the Ezio days.
    Bows have been present since ACIII. Even the crossbow has been present since Brotherhood.
    Horizon Zero Dawn was not the first game to feature a woman protagonist...In fact, Assassin's Creed had a female protagonist before HZD in Aveline.
    The fighting is also a stretch. There are no mythical elements in HZD because the game clearly explains the sci-fi nature of how they came to be.

Also, Horizon Zero Dawn is a very compact game. In that it gives you a variety of things to do but only requires you to do them a few times and I'm pretty sure that you can just power through the main quests without touching the side quests. It's the type of game that I think even someone who traditionally does not like open world games but prefers more linear affairs would enjoy.
     1 people found this helpful

Both Horizon's and AC have poor melee. Horizon's is absolutely horrible... I think Alloy has like 3 animations total for melee.

Good to know about the history or AC. Knowing that it appears Horizon's is biting off AC and not the other way around.

Having played Black Flag, Origins, Odyssey and Horizon's, I liked Origins the best, followed by Odyssey then Horizon's. Black Flag gave me motion sickness and those follow to listen quests were the worst ever. Climbing is a choir in Horizon's but stupid easy in all the AC games I've played. Zelda has better traversing than all of them, but the cartoon characters keep me from playing it seriously (I'll get into it once I've exhausted other games first).

Which came first for upgrading materials and having to visit someone for those upgrades? AC again?

Originally Posted by damonmath Go to original post
    Both Horizon's and AC have poor melee. Horizon's is absolutely horrible... I think Alloy has like 3 animations total for melee.

Good to know about the history or AC. Knowing that it appears Horizon's is biting off AC and not the other way around.

Having played Black Flag, Origins, Odyssey and Horizon's, I liked Origins the best, followed by Odyssey then Horizon's. Black Flag gave me motion sickness and those follow to listen quests were the worst ever. Climbing is a choir in Horizon's but stupid easy in all the AC games I've played. Zelda has better traversing than all of them, but the cartoon characters keep me from playing it seriously (I'll get into it once I've exhausted other games first).

Which came first for upgrading materials and having to visit someone for those upgrades? AC again?
    I agree with you on Black Flag's "follow to listen" quests ..... Those are what I call "Fail until you memorize the predetermined path" missions ...... Overall I loved Black Flag but there were several missions that really sucked such as the one where you get the medicine for Black Beard (Still my favorite AC character of all time) .... And I always hated the "optional objectives" that kept me from getting full sync unless I wanted to play the same mission over and over until I got it 100% right

There really hasn't been any new originality in games in almost 20 years but that's not exactly a bad thing ..... I have no problem with Ubisoft using a "Souls" type setup for game controllers because it just works so why change it just to be different? A truly good game borrows from other games and takes the best parts and discards what doesn't work. I'm generally not a big fan of RPGs because too many get bogged down with trivialities like having to eat and sleep or having 2 dozen different resources you have to collect to upgrade gear ...... I think Odyssey found a good balance with a fairly simple yet still meaningful resource and engraving system and a fight system that's just a blast for me to play. Most RPGs have really sucky combat systems like Witcher 3 and Skyrim that turns me off to an otherwise great game ..... My only real gripe with Odyssey was the bugs, many of which should have never happened (the wonky horse for 3 months for example) and the constant rebalancing of the RPG system for the 1st 6 months because they obviously had no plans as to how to raise the level caps which forced me to completely redo gear and engravings all the time. It's really a completely different game today than it was on Oct 5, 2018 but most of the changes turned out to be for the best with the exception of the huge resource bump made to upgrading gear which really makes levels 70-99 a grind if you want to keep a couple of your favorite armor sets and weapons upgraded

Right now as Odyssey is winding down I'm taking a serious look at Greedfall .... Granted the graphics are nowhere on par to Odyssey and the facial animations are pretty bad but I can overlook all that if the combat is fun and the story is interesting ..... I want the combat to be challenging but not so frustratingly hard I want to throw my controller at the wall because I'm stuck in the same Boss fight

Originally Posted by damonmath Go to original post

Well, Horizon Zero Dawn is about bow and arrow combat, not melee. Melee is mainly for finishers. Odyssey's melee is the best in the series imo not perfect but better than previous games and I believe Ubisoft will improve in the next instalment.

When you say upgrading materials, AC has always offered to the ability to get better weapons and pouch upgrades since AC1/ACII onwards.

Assassin's Creed 1 launched in 2007 and many other games have taken inspiration from the earlier entries in the series. The difference is those other games continue to innovate whereas Assassin's Creed has decided to just ride the wave of certain trends.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by AnimusLover Go to original post
    Well, Horizon Zero Dawn is about bow and arrow combat, not melee. Melee is mainly for finishers. Odyssey's melee is the best in the series imo not perfect but better than previous games and I believe Ubisoft will improve in the next instalment.

When you say upgrading materials, AC has always offered to the ability to get better weapons and pouch upgrades since AC1/ACII onwards.

Assassin's Creed 1 launched in 2007 and many other games have taken inspiration from the earlier entries in the series. The difference is those other games continue to innovate whereas Assassin's Creed has decided to just ride the wave of certain trends.
    I noticed that playing Rise of the Tomb Raider which felt a lot like the older Ubisoft AC games such as only being able to climb certain things and only on the predetermined path or the too many "Fail until you memorize the predetermined path" missions ...... I like the openness of Origins and Odyssey where I can take down a fort and enter it in the way I think is best not just the one or two ways the developers thinks I should do the mission ..... At first I did forts the way I did in Origins or what I like to call "Culling the herd" method .... take out a couple here move and take out a couple of more over there until I whittled them down to maybe a couple of captains ..... Then for a while I did them in what I call the "Shooting Gallery" method once I had higher levels and better gear, I'd just find a high spot and start blasting ...... Then I also used a method where I'd sit just outside the front gates and start shooting and drawing nearly everyone to the front of the fort where I could pick them off without ever setting foot in the fort ...... Lately after doing Atlantis and getting the "Hunter bonus becomes All Damage" engraving I've been taking down forts with nothing but assassinations (or at least trying to) ...... I used to do the Arena and Conquest Battles as mainly a Hunter but now I switch armor sets and do them as pure Warrior

Being able to take down a fort in multiple ways or fight in the arena and Conquest Battles with a completely different style keeps the game from being boring on a 2nd or 3rd run through ..... Not many games out there you can say that about including most of the earlier AC games

Originally Posted by longjohn119 Go to original post
    I noticed that playing Rise of the Tomb Raider which felt a lot like the older Ubisoft AC games such as only being able to climb certain things and only on the predetermined path or the too many "Fail until you memorize the predetermined path" missions ...... I like the openness of Origins and Odyssey where I can take down a fort and enter it in the way I think is best not just the one or two ways the developers thinks I should do the mission ..... At first I did forts the way I did in Origins or what I like to call "Culling the herd" method .... take out a couple here move and take out a couple of more over there until I whittled them down to maybe a couple of captains ..... Then for a while I did them in what I call the "Shooting Gallery" method once I had higher levels and better gear, I'd just find a high spot and start blasting ...... Then I also used a method where I'd sit just outside the front gates and start shooting and drawing nearly everyone to the front of the fort where I could pick them off without ever setting foot in the fort ...... Lately after doing Atlantis and getting the "Hunter bonus becomes All Damage" engraving I've been taking down forts with nothing but assassinations (or at least trying to) ...... I used to do the Arena and Conquest Battles as mainly a Hunter but now I switch armor sets and do them as pure Warrior

Being able to take down a fort in multiple ways or fight in the arena and Conquest Battles with a completely different style keeps the game from being boring on a 2nd or 3rd run through ..... Not many games out there you can say that about including most of the earlier AC games
    I really enjoyed Origins so much I 100% the game. I have never done this on any other game including Horizon's (maybe Ratchet and Clank)... Horizon's is hard... really hard and the bear fights in the frozen wilds are ridiculous.

With Odyssey I saw it doing things that I immediately saw in Horizons and GOW. Wasn't sure whom was biting off of whom. I'm still playing Odyssey and currently at lvl 72... which tells me I must really like this game play. Like you I have also changed up my play style as I've grown to be mostly OP. I started out carefully mapping out the torch first, then tower guards, then perimeter, ending in central guards... then loot last. Then I moved on to ghost arrows to kill everyone including mercenaries. This worked for a while until my arrows no longer seemed to one hit kill, and that got tedious waiting for adrenaline to build up a single notch... take a shot... miss... wait for another shot... repeat lol Now I have Ares Madness, the first civ set, and the Minotaur axe. I'm a walking one man army. My favorite thing to do now is use the chain assassinate or chain attack with the axe... Always kills 4 people right away... in Messenia that means you can wipe out most camps in one special move. If I get caught or find myself surrounded by big dudes... Ares Madness for 20s always takes everyone out... You should see ship battles. They are simple ATM transactions now (my boat is all legendary and OP as hell).

Thanks for the replies. I'm an older gamer who hasn't really had time to play anything in the last 20 years, so getting schooled on what I missed is super helpful.