SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member

Mentors Guild Community Discussion - How Would You Feel About an AC Reboot?

Hi all,

This week we want to hear your thoughts on the possibility of AC ever being rebooted. This is a topic that gets brought up among fans quite often, so just to be clear, this is purely for speculation and "what-ifs", not meant to start any rumors about any actual current or future Ubisoft projects.

MAKING SURE THE FANS ARE HEARD

As part of a set of new Community Initiatives, we'd like to give opportunities to the community to give more direct feedback, and will now host weekly discussion on specific topics that relate the Assassin's Creed Franchise. These community discussions will take place on the AC subreddit, the Official Ubisoft Forums, and on the Mentors Guild Twitter. These discussions will be open for 1 week. The threads and responses will be shared directly with the Assassin's Creed Community Development team, who will then pass that info on to concerned parties within Ubisoft itself.

While the Mentors get opportunities to speak directly with the creators of Assassin’s Creed and frequently communicate with the Community Development Team, this is not the case for every fan. We want to change that. We want fans to have their voices heard directly, in the same ways the Mentors do. These activities are a step towards meeting this goal. If you want Ubisoft to see what you have to say, this is the place to do it.

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC

Topic:
    How Would You Feel About an AC Reboot?

Info: Assassin's Creed was launched in 2007, more than 12 years ago. The story, which was originally planned as a trilogy about Desmond Miles and his ancestors, has since sprawled into a complex and convoluted universe involving precursor races, powerful artifacts, Assassins and Templars (both historical and modern), evil corporations and alternate realities. It has expanded from games into movies, comics and novels, and even veteran fans sometimes have difficulty staying up-to-date with all the twists and turns, new characters and concepts. For fans who have not followed the saga from the beginning it can be even harder to keep up. Is it time for a "hard" reboot of the franchise?

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

-Would you be open to the possibility of an AC reboot? Why or why not?

-AC Origins was meant to be a "soft" reboot, an easy entry point to new players. Do you feel it did a sufficient job introducing the AC universe to the uninitiated?

-If an AC reboot was suddenly announced, would you play it?

-If you were tasked with rebooting the franchise, what would you change/remove?

-If you were tasked with rebooting the franchise, what would you keep?

-In your opinion, are there any rebooted franchises that AC should look to as an example of a good reboot?

As always, please feel free to add any thoughts you might have that are not covered by these example questions!

REMEMBER:

While these discussions are meant to allow for honest and raw feedback directly from the community, the best way to ensure your voice is heard is to be constructive - be critical of the process, not the people. Be specific with your criticisms and suggest tangible solutions and improvements.
    We hope to see active participation and that this will be a successful way of getting the fans' voices truly heard.
     1 people found this helpful

ninja4hire10's Avatar Member

Yes, absolutely. With the new tech power of this upcoming console generation, it just stands to reason. And it should start with a hard reimagining of the original. And if such a hard reboot were to come to pass, go ahead and make it an RPG-lite game, just to take the heat out the whole "old AC v. new AC" argument that's ruffled plenty of feathers. Playing the older games v. the newer ones, you just feel boxed in and limited in regards to player decision and abilities. Make changes to the meta story how you will. So, to recap: yep.

-AC Origins was meant to be a "soft" reboot, an easy entry point to new players. Do you feel it did a sufficient job introducing the AC universe to the uninitiated?

So-so. Although by comparison I liked it more than Odyssey, the later game, especially the DLCs, were better at getting into the lore. If I were new to the franchise, which I'm not, but IF I were new I'd have no complaints. Although I think some newer players that jumped onboard with Origins may have gotten a little lost when they got into Odyssey's DLC and may have needed extra info, but that's what the Wiki and this Forum's for, I think.

If it were a complete overhaul from the ground up, without question. An Altiair with the abilities of these "newer" Assassins, a wider move-set, all in an expansive Crusades-era Middle East? Again, without question. Or hesitation.

That depends on where the Ubi execs see this franchise going. One of the draws of the original first few games was how the narrative blurred the line between the game's fiction and our real-world events. I loved that. So if I were in charge, I'd keep all the First Civ stuff, all the Templar conspiracies, the Animus, everything. But if Ubi really wants this franchise to go the full-on RPG route, they'll no doubt have to cut that stuff. Which I think would be a disservice.

Just explained that one above but I'll reiterate: the Isu, the Templar v. Assassin struggle, the Animus, etc.

-In your opinion, are there any rebooted franchises that AC should look to as an example of a good reboot?

Comic book franchises have done it and do it all the time. So have film franchises. To me, DC Comics did their "New 52" some years ago as a way to clean out the clutter to land new readers/fans. It worked for them as I recall. Then a few years later they (in my opinion) cleverly retconned themselves to return BACK to the original DCU, but with lasting changes, a marriage between what was before with what it needs to be now. This model is EXACTLY what AC should do.

RVSage's Avatar Senior Member
    I would definitely be okay with a reboot, one way to come back to the original story direction and build on top of it without burden of mixed direction in later games , biggest flaw in AC currently

Ac origins was a soft reboot, historical part of it was good , but modern day was very hard to connect with

Without a doubt will play the reboot if announcement, I would hope to see improvements on the negatives of the first few games , in turn flesh out a better story

When tasked with rebooting franchise , I would remove the numbered levelling system and go back to character and armour based progression of AC2/brotherhood , improve it. That always felt more organic than numbered levelling and abilities system.

Will definitely keep a strong modern day focus, maybe keep Desmond alive and evolve into modern mentor, post his Arc focus on a new.character under him.and keep.the mystery of modern day alive

God of war was a soft reboot , but a great one narrative wise. Definitely something AC should look up to
     2 people found this helpful

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    To be honest, I've felt like each entry in the series since ACIII (with the possible exception of Syndicate) has been designed expressly with the intent of serving as entryway material for new fans.

I wouldn't mind a reboot again if necessary, but I really want to see the series commit a story to its full potential.
    Judging purely off of what I've seen on these forums and other online chatter, I kind of get the impression that Odyssey actually brought in a new generation of fans, moreso even than Origins. While Origins was a good entry to the lore of the series, Odyssey's shifted emphasis and RPG direction seems to have attracted a lot of people who otherwise haven't been interested in the series so far.

Oh, I can't really imagine ever passing on one of these games, even if there's a title I'm not particularly excited about.

Strong modern day, right out of the gate. I know a lot of people aren't crazy about MD, but if it was well done and fun, I think many could be won over.

I'm thinking a much larger emphasis on it, even more than ACIII. Perhaps there could be a smallish area, similar to ACB's villa, where the protagonist can leave the Animus and actually complete quests in a modern setting. I'm no game designer, but even if it was possible to take some assets from Watch_Dogs or Ghost Recon, this could be really cool.

To me, Assassin's Creed is heavily about branding. The hoods, symbols, hidden blades, leaps of faith...

All of that is integral to this series.
    Hmm, maybe not so much a "good" example, but consider Mass Effect.

It was a series absolutely beloved by its fans (me included), and Andromeda was highly anticipated before its launch.

However, the transition from tight story-driven gameplay to massive open world map clearing did a lot to dilute the game's narrative, and many fans felt disappointed.

Knowing a series' identity and really capitalizing on what works is vital to a reboot. Speaking of...
    Originally Posted by RVSage Go to original post
    God of war was a soft reboot , but a great one narrative wise. Definitely something AC should look up to
    Great example. I've only played part of God of War III, otherwise I hadn't touched the original trilogy. GOW 2018 was still immensely enjoyable for me. I'd say it's even one of my favorite games of all time.

The changes made to GOW's formula were definitely a risk, but I think that it definitely paid off. That team realized that the draw of GOW was the ability to kick butt as Kratos, but that it wasn't inherently tied to the button-mashing gameplay. By focusing on how to improve combat, the game not only improved but also opened up to a new demographic (people such as myself who had previously been uninterested in the previous games' arcade combat).
     4 people found this helpful

RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member

It depends on the vision behind the reboot. If it's the same vision and creative decisions behind Odyssey, turning the game into a fantasy RPG, the what difference would it make? They'd much better off starting a new IP and allowing Assassin's Creed to be what it was first made to be. However, if it's mean to be a return to form, similar to Assassin's Creed I to ACIV, then perhaps it could work.

The problem with the latter is that fans have grown so attached to characters like Altair, Ezio, Desmond..etc. so how will the reboot work? is it going to retell their stories again? If not, then what exactly would the reboot focus on? a brand new timeline? I think the best solution would be to end the current storyline with the next game, and then take a time jump into a distant dystopia or post-apocalyptic future where either the Templars or the Isu rule or perhaps the aftermath of another human-Isu war. Maybe Juno and her army could be recreated and destroy the world and we're taken several centuries into the future where the remaining humans find an Animus and start learning about the history of humanity of how the war happened and how to solve things by seeing the history of the Assassins and Templars. Now that would be a great reboot that takes itself away from current events without overwriting them.

Another solution would be to go back into the past, and focus on Abstergo's early days with the Animus and the first several subjects. That would be a great start and then they can skip into the future.

Hiring an acclaimed writer who understands what the franchise is about and is aware of every detail in the established narrative is key in making a good experience. You can't just leave every story to be written by a new team, independently from its predecessor and successor with tons of contradictions. Also, dropping major plot lines to be continued in comics is something I would never EVER do to this franchise again.

Assassin's Creed Origins is a great game that presented the best world and one of the best protagonists to date. However, it introduced a different franchise to fans and to the world. The established lore was replaced and seemingly retconned and the officially given answers about what the new "origin" story means for what we've known before does more harm than good.

The gameplay was great, that's for sure, and it's among its strongest points, but its follow up, Odyssey, might have as well been a new IP of its own, because to put it simply, choices, quest system and RPG do not belong in a franchise about using a device to view THE TRUE HISTORY through someone's genetic memory for a protagonist in present day IN A RACE AGAINST TIME.

It depends on what it is. I will most definitely try it, but I will need to see what it's like to judge it.

I would remove choice, RPG elements, quest system, bloated side objectives, fantasy elements. And I would bring back parkour in a similar manner to Unity, the dark tones and gritty representation of history from the first Assassin's Creed, the deep lore of Brotherhood and the interactive modern day of Assassin's Creed III.

I keep gameplay more similar to Origins, but without sacrificing parkour, and I would get rid of skill trees and levels in favor of a more organic skill system where the protagonist learn new skills by practice, similarly to Red Dead Redemption, with most skills learned in a story-driven manner like Ezio being taught to climb, double jump and grab from Rosa and her gang.

Resident Evil 2 remake is a prime example of a return to form. I wouldn't want Assassin's Creed to be rebooted like Tomb Raider, but rather to receive an honest remake of the first Assassin's Creed, followed up by more authentic sequels set in different time periods (not necessarily a recreation of Ezio or Connor), but like I mentioned in the first point, the current storyline could be concluded with the next game, then a remake of the first game comes, and then we're taken either to the distant future (instead of present day setting) or to the bringing of the Animus project and from there we can have a more authentic gameplay, storytelling and lore, similar to the first five games.
     3 people found this helpful

I had sometimes think about it. With a reboot the series would have the chance to write new and better stories and could use time periods again. For time periods in games that where released with Ubisofts old attitude (every year an AC Game) this could be a opportunity to go back and give them the time to make more fleshed out games.

But on the other hand AC has still the chance to become a better story and we had already a soft reboot with Origins. The Concept behind AC with the animus give them the chance to make endless games and possibilities and I think if the want to make a reboot give us first an finale and then make an reboot.

Origins was a good soft reboot and start for new players. The only thing I would have changed was the introduction of the Modern Day and made it more meaningful like his introduction in ACII.

AC Games shouldn't spare with lore details and story because of new players, the should made the story and the lore interesting enough so that new players want to explore them and other titles and not move them to an DLC like Odyssey did.

I would be shocked because we have currently storylines with an open end but I would give it a chance because its an Assassins Creed.

I would made the Modern Day more meaningful and give it a storyline that goes somewhere like Desmonds Story.

I would remove the telling of storylines in trans media. That was and is a big problem of this franchise and why the lore go too complicated. A lot of important Lore was moved to comics, online games (legacy), books etc. the important Story should stay and be told in the games. Other trans media could expand it but not more.

And I would remove choices because the don't fit in the animus concept and made it harder to tell a good story.

Some other thing I would do is giving the Development of the Series to just One Development Team and not multiple ones, one Team should make the series and decisions where it goes, the hand around of the the series development muddled up the series and made somethings worse. Look at other IPs that where developed by one studio and how successful the are. If you ask me I would choose Ubi Montreal as the Lead Team of the Franchise and give team the power and time the need to make great Assassins Creed Games. The have the Peoples who are in Assassins Creed since day one and made some of the best games of the entire series.

Everything what made the Series special and an Assassins Creed. The Animus/ Assassins Templar war/ The First civilization etc.

I would look back to the franchise and each game and what was the best aspect of every single one and take them. You must not make every time time something completely new, good old aspects mixed with new ideas is a good combination

Resident Evil 7, Zelda Breath of the Wild, God of War 2018;

The where no complete story reboots but gameplaywise the where. Because these games where go back to their roots and combed it with new Ideas.

If Ubisoft decides to made an reboot for AC remember lot of reboots failed because the move to far away what the series was about. Think back what made this Series successful and loved? Take this aspects and try to make an Reboot that is has the charm and is as good as the old games

ElderDarklion's Avatar Member

A reboot means changing animus idea which turns it to a time machine, making us a god in the game with super powers or no real target focus on it like saving world, find and discover Isu(WCB) places, artifacts or weapons. No thanks. Because that things turn AC to another games for me.

A reboot means that have new ideas about not repetitive missions at the game, changing and developing skill tree and skills, climbing, running, fighting, new puzzles like PoP or AC 2. I'm always open that reboot.

Originally Posted by RinoTheBouncer
    The problem with the latter is that fans have grown so attached to characters like Altair, Ezio, Desmond..etc. so how will the reboot work? is it going to retell their stories again? If not, then what exactly would the reboot focus on? a brand new timeline?
    That questions need to answer. Like me who played these games from AC 1 to Odysses and played thousands hours at AC games.

Yes Origins did it. I feel it and Origins attract many players who didn't play AC Games before and give a great acceleration for Odyssey.

First see the changes than give my reaction. What is the new at that rebooting? If It effects my priorities about AC games too much or change AC DNA codes too much at my side, no I wouldn't play it suddenly.

One team lead the story and give a way like marvel series is really good idea. I agree with JKAC2013. With this way we have strong stories. Combination gameplay and Modern Day will be great like this way.

Combat system changing isn't enough but will go better with rebooting. One button system(wait, press correct time and kill enemy) is really bad. Origins is good and Odyssey is better about combat. Keep going this way.

Skills are too powerfull for an AC character that we design them a bit natural, not supernatural.

Myths, monsters and legends are soo good but many of them turn our games to Witcher,GoW or SW Series.

Animus(not time machine one), Secret War and Isu(WCB) being. hidden blade that a really strong symbol for AC at my window and connecting games with Modern Day scenario that we can know where will we going later.

No, I haven't any experiences like that games before.

Have a good day everyone.

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

No, because Origins and Odyssey are my favourite AC games.

Yes indeed. I was never really interested in AC, before Origins. Because of Origins and Odyssey, I began playing older games, such as Unity and AC 3 Remastered.

It really depends on what kind of reboot this would be.

I would remove auto-level scaling, I would not remove anything from Odyssey or Origins but I would add a Map Editor. Moreover, I would add a few elements from Unity and AC3 like a house/mansion for the Assassin.

The lore, Isu, Modern Day, Animus, Abstergo, the eagle Ikaros, the Creed vs. Templar battle and historical reconstruction.

Final Fantasy and GTA did a pretty good job, actually. They evolved via rebooting.

I honestly don't care.

I rolled in the AC franchise due to it becoming an RPG. If Ubi changes that formula in the next installment and makes it an adventure, for instance, I won't be interested.

Concerning AC Odyssey I find the Atlantis DLC the least bit interesting and my least favorite part and frankly a chore to slog thru. I am not looking for a series in continuous "unfolding" storytelling. Give me an interesting interactive fun gameplay game to put my teeth in for 6 months backed up by a good story. In gameplay AC Odyssey did not diapoint, story telling should improve dramatically but I am not holding my breath. That is a tall order in a socially crumbling society on it's way to .......

Mushashi7's Avatar Senior Member
    This is a hard one for me.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

* Would you be open to the possibility of an AC reboot? Why or why not?

Some things can carry a reboot. And it seems the Assassin's Creed can. Since it has been such a huge success and has so many fans? Look at the popularity polls. Everyone knows the brand and has played at least one of the games.
    But I guess the developers are measuring if a reboot could turn in to a boring failure? Can you repeat a success?

* AC Origins was meant to be a "soft" reboot, an easy entry point to new players. Do you feel it did a sufficient job introducing the AC universe to the uninitiated?

Origins was the game that dragged me into Odyssey. But Odyssey is four times better because of the offered options in the game. The so called "RPG" elements, a female protagonist and romance options.
    Origins played: 252 hours
    Odyssey played: 927 hours
    I guess this speaks for it self?

Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    Judging purely off of what I've seen on these forums and other online chatter, I kind of get the impression that Odyssey actually brought in a new generation of fans, moreso even than Origins. While Origins was a good entry to the lore of the series, Odyssey's shifted emphasis and RPG direction seems to have attracted a lot of people who otherwise haven't been interested in the series so far.

* If an AC reboot was suddenly announced, would you play it?

Depends. If the game will be a return to pure assassin's creed I have no interest.
    Not that I mind playing an assassin in smaller doses. But a game entirely based on this I simply don't (written with all possible respect for those who do). I am a role player, which means I need lots of free choices and options. A pure assassin game wouldn't provide this as being an assassin is only one single role, so to speak.

* If you were tasked with rebooting the franchise, what would you change/remove?

I would arrange the game so that players have the option to play PURE assassin if they like, but it should also contain opposite options just like Odyssey (hunter, warrior).

* If you were tasked with rebooting the franchise, what would you keep?

Keep the RPG and also expand it. It's Ubisoft's only way to bring something new into the franchise (something different, something new). But do it properly instead of the simulated RPG elements in Odyssey
    Oh, and of course the Isu.

* In your opinion, are there any rebooted franchises that AC should look to as an example of a good reboot?

I'm sorry, I can't! Every repetition of anything in this world has never been a real success. I include games, books, TV series and movies in general. I have always been disappointed. There are only very few successful examples of this.
    They say all stories have already been written and also read. The only difference is the gift wrapping. We can now only try to copy and paste. But you could also just continue to persue the story you already created? I know, I know, this would mean a lot of time and money spend for writers and so on, but still...
    Make your stories even better and more interesting than they already are. Focus on points and enlarge them instead of waving them away. You have a good story and storyline, Ubisoft, now go and precise your stories. You can eventually turn back in time (games) and use the magnifying glass! Be more thorough and precise, more dramatic, more detailed!
    Don't be afraid to write and release "The further adventures of ..."!

* As always, please feel free to add any thoughts you might have that are not covered by these example questions!

If Origins "was meant to be a "soft" reboot, an easy entry point to new players" I have bad a feeling Ubisoft plans to turn the game series back to the original style?

Odyssey is much more the way I prefer how a game provides me with options. Not perfect but better. As I stated before I did try some of the earlier game but they didn't catch me. Turning back will inevitably end up in losing customers like me.
    I like the story - also the long story - but without the RPG elements I have no interest.
    Ubisoft can't lure me with the promise of more Isu material. This is not the main reason I play Odyssey. It's the huge open game world, the historical foundation, the option to play as a female protagonist, the RPG elements and finally the romance options (which turned out to be non interesting),

I was starting to get my hopes up on Assassin's Creed finally made space for other things than assassins. And my suspicion right now circles around weather I should by the next game (-s) or not?
    Not that I'm getting mad or anything, but I will be more careful to sling my credit card around just like that. I hate spending money on something that disappoints me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►