Originally posted by GreyFox5:
    And why are there no cool recent British movies on the exploits of those brave Brits? Or Aussies etc?
    Last good Australian one was the film 'Kokoda' made in 2006?

It looks at the exploits of a platoon from the 49th Battalion Militia in the opening stages of the Battle of Kokoda Track.

(My Dad was part of the 2/16th Battalion AIF that they meet up with towards the end of the film)

I think the last accurate British one was the Black Adder series based in the WW.

( BTW I named my first born son after Rowan Attkins!!!)

Bo_Nidle's Avatar Senior Member
    The site features an unconfirmed list of the episodes:

1- Guadalcanal/Leckie
    2-Guadalcanal/Basilone
    3-Melbourne
    4- Gloucester/Pavuvu/Banika
    5- Peleliu Landing
    6- Peleliu Airfield
    7- Peleliu Hills
    8- Iwo Jima
    9- Okinawa
    10- Home

As for the question someone asked why there are no British war films being made? I think you have to understand where Britain is as a nation at this point with regards to its psyche. We have become bitter and shallow in the extreme in the last 20-30 years. As a people we do not look on anothers success and feel good for them, instead we tend to be envious and long for their demise.

We do not regard military successes as a proud part of our history. Instead there is a concerted effort to rewrite or plain bury the past if it is remotely un-PC.

We revel in our failures and regard victories with suspicion. Our heroes are not people that risk their lives for others.They are not people to look up to and follow their example with regards to honour and courage. Nowadays the British "heroes" are ill-mannered louts who would be in prison save for the fact that they can kick a football, or the unbelievable morons that spew from the "Big Brother" sty of reality TV.

We have a vast history of military greatness. The stories of the Chindits, Pegasus Bridge, the Battle of Britain and one of my personal favourites as it would make a terrific action packed film, the St Nazaire raid, are just a few of the films aching to be made.

But they probably never will be made in Britain. After all it's taking a New Zealander to remake "The Dambusters", I'm looking forward to it immensely, but why hasn't it been done here?

Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
    We revel in our failures and regard victories with suspicion. Our heroes are not people that risk their lives for others.They are not people to look up to and follow their example with regards to honour and courage. Nowadays the British "heroes" are ill-mannered louts who would be in prison save for the fact that they can kick a football, or the unbelievable morons that spew from the "Big Brother" sty of reality TV.

Unfortunately your not alone in the world with that trend. Although not as advanced as Britain, I can see the same trends emerging over here in Australia. God help us all!

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    True enough about knowing the danger before hand rearatroops.

OTOH, Marine units in the Pacific certainly knew that the next island would be no walk in the park. Casualty figures on the pacific island amphibious operations were appalling.

Breeze147's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:

Unfortunately your not alone in the world with that trend. Although not as advanced as Britain, I can see the same trends emerging over here in Australia. God help us all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

American youth idolizes "Gangsta Rappers" as heroes of the oppressed, so we are going the same way.

Breeze147's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by KG66_Gog:
    Well I've tossed the odd grenade, seen em' go off too and if there is one thing that Hollywood has gotten seriously wrong, its the explosion of a grenade. They are so over-modelled it aint funny.

A typical grenades explosion, the first time you see it, is a big disappointment. I'd liken it to someone letting off a big firecracker in a pillow case full of dust.

best drama i ever seen

I am big fan of Pinoy Tv shows but my friend told me about band of brothers its one of the best drama i ever seen.