Bo_Nidle's Avatar Senior Member
    A friend of mine has a brother who lives in Australia.He got himself a none-speaking part in "The Pacific" which is the follow-up to "Band of Brothers".

This is one of the behind the scenes photos he took:

His brother was a US Marine in the production and enjoyed every minute of it.

Looking at this and the other pictures I think this is going to be every bit as good as the legendary "Band of Brothers".

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes, more Spielberg/Hanks triumphalism. Eastwood wrote the last word on the late Pacific War with his excellent two films of a year ago. A really interesting series would have concentrated on the "backs to the wall" period, and the now almost forgotten defense of Wake Island and the Philippines through the arduous carrier battles of 1942. But, no, we will get more of the same we received in B OF BROTHERS and RYAN. There was no greater test of the American character than the lost hope defense of the Philippines, and now those soldiers, and the soldiers of the Philippines army are practically forgotten.

Bewolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by leitmotiv:
    Yes, more Spielberg/Hanks triumphalism. Eastwood wrote the last word on the late Pacific War with his excellent two films of a year ago. A really interesting series would have concentrated on the "backs to the wall" period, and the now almost forgotten defense of Wake Island and the Philippines through the arduous carrier battles of 1942. But, no, we will get more of the same we received in B OF BROTHERS and RYAN. There was no greater test of the American character than the lost hope defense of the Philippines, and now those soldiers, and the soldiers of the Philippines army are practically forgotten.
    I agree. I'd rather see a series showing the "beginning" of american involvement, the Philippines, Wake and the likes, the med and italy on the other side of the globe.

This stuff here has been done to death.

.....I'll certainly watch it anways.

roybaty's Avatar Senior Member
    While I agree with you leitmotiv the tone of your post is a bit...trying to find a word...

I personally would love to see a drama based on the early years of the Flying Tiger's.

I just love when people bash something and watch it over and over at the same time... I bet leitmotiv watched BOB and SPR like 10 times and cant get enough of it... but hey, bashing is fun

Bo_Nidle's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't think it will be confined to the late Pacific. I have seen other photos showing actors in early marine kit with Springfield '03 rifles and no helmet covers riding in standard landing-craft as well as other pictures showing them with M1 Garands and helmet covers in LVT's.

Besides that, if anyone can name a better TV series covering WW2 US soldiers than BoB I'd like to know.

I`ll certainly be watching it.

But I hope one day that a British experience of the war series will be done and even a Russian perspective of the war from the early years of desperate defensive.

There is so much to find out that`s not only spectacular (even more so than the US stuff), but terrible as well.

We should know of it. After this one, time for a different nationality.

Breeze147's Avatar Senior Member
    A study should be done on how many Brits between the ages of 65 and 61 are half-American.

J/K oops didn't mean it don't get upset keep your knickers straight bangers and mash bangers and mash wink wink

Originally posted by leitmotiv:

and the soldiers of the Philippines army are practically forgotten.
    There is a very large Filipino American population living in Northern CA. I have met or worked with a good number of WW2 vets that served alongside the U.S. troops during that time. One thing that the Filipinos still resent is that their common enemy Japan, received more help and money to rebuild their country from the U.S. than the Philippines did after the war.

The Filipinos have a very strong sense of extended family that is constantly emphasized. You are expected to support and be supported by this network at all times. This is called "utang na loob" in Tagalog, which roughly translates to "obligation to the family". This is why the Filipinos were such reliable and effective allies during the war because they considered the U.S. to be part of the "family".

Imagine that your friend, with whom you fought alongside with in a hard won fight would move in the aftermath to help the opposing guys first with their wounds before giving you less attention than the opponents received.

If there are any people that can immediately fit in and become "Americans", it is the Filipinos. English is taught from grades 2-12. Add to that a good, effective education, and you have a productive and patriotic potential citizen.

As a side note, if you wish to study the Filipino martial arts, then the Bay Area of N. Ca., and also S. CA. are a good place look because of the long time Filipino American presence.

Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    even a Russian perspective of the war from the early years of desperate defensive.
    There is the "shtrafbat" mini serie.
    although it did'nt take place in the early years of war.

Shtrafbat at IMDB

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►