jadger's Avatar Senior Member
    So that being said I own both DVDs and plan to own Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers on blue ray because I'm American and what ever happens I will try and support this country no matter what!
    you support your country (and your veterans) by buying DVDs that can often make a mockery of their experiences? at that, those DVDs are probably made in China anyways.

Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:

Now, "Cross of Iron" was a good war film. Excellent characters, good story, tight script, excellent cinematography, tremendous action scenes and a strong anti-war message.
    Yep. Even the weird ending was good (though I think that was cos they ran out of time or cash).

Thin Red Line had some good bits, but like I said before, it tried to be too psychological. It indeed needed Monty python to wake it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They had planned to make a sequel to Cross of Iron. But the director dies before the plans could be made. Another good one is "Big Red One-The Reconstruction" , now that movie ismuch better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They actually did make a sequel to CoI, called http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078320/
    It wasn't very good...

Ya I bet they are made in China... Its the spirit of it.

And why are there no cool recent British movies on the exploits of those brave Brits? Or Aussies etc?

Originally posted by GreyFox5:
    And why are there no cool recent British movies on the exploits of those brave Brits?
    A sort of :
    Joyeux Noël

Originally posted by GreyFox5:
    And why are there no cool recent British movies on the exploits of those brave Brits? Or Aussies etc?
    Cause you havent put the money up to produce it.

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    The problem is apparently with technology. They haven't built a strong enough Cynic Filter for 5% of the population. They're not worth catering to, when even quality productions like Band of Brothers gets trashed, and "The Pacific" is trod upon before it's even finished.

Originally posted by leitmotiv:
    My father was in the war in a USN sub in the Pacific, and, to put it brutally, he would have been embarrassed by the sanctimonious and self-righteous tone of B OF BROS (starting with that awful theme music which makes me turn green every time I hear it). One thing B OF BROS and films of its ilk avoid like the plague is how do fighting men behave when given suicidal orders, which, unfortunately, occurred rather too frequently. The father of a friend of mine, a U.S. Army engineer sergeant, was ordered to take a squad and destroy a Tiger tank with a bazooka because there was no other weapon available to deal with it. Needless-to-say, he had to evaluate his position vis-a-vis the army. My father was made part of a British team under orders to swim into Singapore harbor and attach limpet mines to the hull of a Japanese heavy cruiser. They all knew they were dead. Fortunately, the insane plan was discarded. Ambrose doesn't want to deal with startling moments of revelation when fighting men realize with a jolt they are expendable. He prefers the easy path of triumphalism. Yecchh.
    He writes what sells. His books sell for a reason. The type of experiences you are referencing might be interesting for a select few, but they won't pay Ambrose's bills.

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Actually, there is an episode of BoB when Winters, faced with seemingly suicidal orders (a repeat patrol to grab prisoners) instead orders his men to falsify the patrol report and not do it.

Given that before D-Day they fully expected 70% casualties for the airborne units, wouldn't D-Day itself be considered suicidal for them? (they did far better, but it was a big surprise)

Personally, for a PTO version I'd have preferred 42/43

tater

jadger's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
    Actually, there is an episode of BoB when Winters, faced with seemingly suicidal orders (a repeat patrol to grab prisoners) instead orders his men to falsify the patrol report and not do it.

Given that before D-Day they fully expected 70% casualties for the airborne units, wouldn't D-Day itself be considered suicidal for them? (they did far better, but it was a big surprise)

Personally, for a PTO version I'd have preferred 42/43

tater
    I'm pretty sure that they didn't release that 70% figure to the common airborne grunt before he jumped in the DC3/glider. So he would hardly know it was suicide. Compare this to WWI when they had all been through the same bloody mess over and over, then that is suicide. I guess what I'm saying is that it's only suicide if you know it is.