Originally posted by leitmotiv:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Another great U.S. film about war is this TV film from 2001:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287535/
    Oooohh, WWI, thats my real interest, ever since i can remember. Pity there's such a shortage of material on the big screen, but it it is of limited interest these days.

Have you ever seen Anzacs? I wish the bbc would repeat this aussie series. That and All quiet on the western front, both versions in diff ways are telling.

cheers fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gads, I saw ANZACS years ago and can't recall it very well. Another WWI classic (British) is KING AND COUNTRY---Dirk Bogarde and Tom Courtenay at their best:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058263/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are interested in WW1, and would be interested in seeing someting out of the ordinary,

All stuff printed during WW1, and reproduced at end. Jingoism, is a much understated word.

but a lot of photos, and more particuarly news paper paintings, which never see the light of day now.

PM me, or reply here, and i'll start a thread.

cheers fruitbat

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    some people here need to repeat that line from the old movie ad.

its only a movie.

its only a movie.

its only a movie.

Airmail109's Avatar Senior Member
    Best war Films/series. Platoon, Band of Brothers, and The Thin Red Line.

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    liverwurst

dammit i just got back from the grocery store.

i knew i forgot somthing.

Thin Red Line was far too esoterically psychological for it`s own good. I mean, there`s only so much watching kids ponce around on a beach that I can take! I mean, come on - it`s a WAR film!

I`ll get my coat then, Leitmotiv.

Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    Thin Red Line was far too esoterically psychological for it`s own. I mean, there`s only so much watching kids ponce around on a beach that I can take! I mean, come on!

Disagree 100 percent

War is all about psychology

Was a great change from your usual bloodfest

Lots of memorable parts in that film, especially the dialog's between Sean Penn's character and James Caviezels, the camera work and the music. Generally haunting film.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    Thin Red Line was far too esoterically psychological for it`s own good. I mean, there`s only so much watching kids ponce around on a beach that I can take! I mean, come on - it`s a WAR film!

I don't get you. I think the film is silly buggers, too, but it did have some good scenes---after all, Terence Malick is a great director even though he blew his foot off on this one.

Well all I have to say is that film manages to convey much of the emptiness that one feels after witnessing/being involved in violance.

No other film I've seen does that.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Von_Rat:

its only a movie.

its only a movie.

its only a movie.
    No, no film is only a "movie"---because cinema is the most powerful art medium in existence, and, unfortunately, most people believe what they see on the big screen as being the unvarnished truth. Thus, false or misleading films can cause damage for generations. Recall D.W. Griffith's THE BIRTH OF NATION. An entire generation in the U.S. saw blacks as criminally inclined subhumans due to the power of this film. NEVER underrate the power of film.

Originally posted by leitmotiv:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:

its only a movie.

its only a movie.

its only a movie.
    No, no film is only a "movie"---because cinema is the most powerful art medium in existence, and, unfortunately, most people believe what they see on the big screen as being the unvarnished truth. Thus, false or misleading films can cause damage for generations. Recall D.W. Griffith's THE BIRTH OF NATION. An entire generation in the U.S. saw blacks as criminally inclined subhumans due to the power of this film. NEVER underrate the power of film. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah look what Mars Attacks did