Another great U.S. film about war is this TV film from 2001:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287535/
    Oooohh, WWI, thats my real interest, ever since i can remember. Pity there's such a shortage of material on the big screen, but it it is of limited interest these days.

Have you ever seen Anzacs? I wish the bbc would repeat this aussie series. That and All quiet on the western front, both versions in diff ways are telling.

cheers fruitbat

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    I remember reading an article about when Band came out, and the reporters were screening it with the vets.

Afterward, the reporters smiled and asked how much had been jazzed up for entertainment sake.

The vets patiently replied to the clueless reporters: "That's pretty much how it was."

I look forward to "The Pacific." I hope it's a worthy successor.

Which unit do they follow? Anyone have some good info or stories they can post?

Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
    IBTL
    Why?

Hmm lets see, 2 types of grenades, basically offensive/concussuion then defensive/fragmentation. Concussion grenade has minor fragmentation so quite possible for kaboom next to you.

Saving private ryan was and still is a good movie, and with all movies one can nit pick all the continuity erors etc, my favorite is the tommy gun in and out of the plastic wrap etc.

Band of brothers is also a good movie, but its up to the individual to interpret the message.

movie that irked me the most was windtalkers where you could see special effects guys in vietnam era fatigues under bushes etc, and the guy on the back of the tank in the ghillie suit was quite fun to watch. But overall if the purpose of a movie is to entertain and reflect then theyve served their purpose as far as im concerned.

People will always set their minds as to whats right etc. Hollywood exists for a reason and history is brutal by nature, at least hollywood tries to show things to get a particular point across. Notice in the early ww2 movies there was loads of jap bashing as in real life, remember the grinning buck toothed goons in fighting seabees. Then go to modern pearl harbor remake and the enemy was realistically portrayed.

BOB and SPR had no heel kicking, sieg heiling nazi stooges, just everyday landsers etc, matter of fact one of the BOB real life guys mentioned his enemies probably had similar tastes hobbies etc.

Complaining comes with freedom of speech so whine away, when your done thank a veteran..

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by thefruitbat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Another great U.S. film about war is this TV film from 2001:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287535/
    Oooohh, WWI, thats my real interest, ever since i can remember. Pity there's such a shortage of material on the big screen, but it it is of limited interest these days.

Have you ever seen Anzacs? I wish the bbc would repeat this aussie series. That and All quiet on the western front, both versions in diff ways are telling.

cheers fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gads, I saw ANZACS years ago and can't recall it very well. Another WWI classic (British) is KING AND COUNTRY---Dirk Bogarde and Tom Courtenay at their best:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058263/

Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    How are soldiers supoosed to fall when shot. Do German soldiers fall differently to allied?
    Yes. A belly full of beer, sauerkraut, liverwurst, and rye breads tends to make a special sound. Not quite a thud but more like a rumbling.

Fritz

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    My father was in the war in a USN sub in the Pacific, and, to put it brutally, he would have been embarrassed by the sanctimonious and self-righteous tone of B OF BROS (starting with that awful theme music which makes me turn green every time I hear it). One thing B OF BROS and films of its ilk avoid like the plague is how do fighting men behave when given suicidal orders, which, unfortunately, occurred rather too frequently. The father of a friend of mine, a U.S. Army engineer sergeant, was ordered to take a squad and destroy a Tiger tank with a bazooka because there was no other weapon available to deal with it. Needless-to-say, he had to evaluate his position vis-a-vis the army. My father was made part of a British team under orders to swim into Singapore harbor and attach limpet mines to the hull of a Japanese heavy cruiser. They all knew they were dead. Fortunately, the insane plan was discarded. Ambrose doesn't want to deal with startling moments of revelation when fighting men realize with a jolt they are expendable. He prefers the easy path of triumphalism. Yecchh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
    IBTL
    Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cause all this is going to turn into is a mine is bigger then yours and all stupidity will breakout causeing it to be locked.

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
    A study should be done on how many Brits between the ages of 65 and 61 are half-American.

J/K oops didn't mean it don't get upset keep your knickers straight bangers and mash bangers and mash wink wink
    One would be my mum, American airman, who unsuprisingly returned back home, my mum was put up for adoption. I guess that happened a fair amount. The legacy is, that it's a constant effort for me, to try to stop myself eating burgers.... genes eh!

cheers fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i tease my dad who was with the 8th af and had several brit girlfriends, that i must have a few half brothers or sisters over there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess my 'real' grandfather got past the yellow teeth. Or he got to like warm beer...

By the way, whats the state of affairs of the family estate

fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i told my dad to spend it all on fast women and slow horses.