Yes I too would like to see the times before the war specially when Gen.Mcarthur was in the Philippines prior to Dec 8, 1941 attck when he had 9 hours of warning and did nothing!

Please read 'The Eagle and the Rising Sun'

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Rising-Sun-Japanese-America...lcanal/dp/0393049248

It shows you everything form how there was enough warning for Pearl Harbor to how McArthur abandoned Gen.Weinwright IV to fend for himself in Bataan as well as how Gen.McArthur didnt let his Air Force take off (through is inaction and indecision) and allowed it to be bombed and straffed on the ground.

jadger's Avatar Senior Member
    is this one gonna have magic grenades like BOB where an American can dive two feet from a grenade and not get injured, and Germans (this one Japanese) fall like preteen girls at a Justin Timberlake concert.

Originally posted by jadger:
    is this one gonna have magic grenades like BOB where an American can dive two feet from a grenade and not get injured, and Germans (this one Japanese) fall like preteen girls at a Justin Timberlake concert.
    eh?

How many grenades have you had thrown at you. i actually read one account where a grenade blew up right next to a GI in Somalia (I think it was) black hawk down and didn`t touch him. Sometimes, if you`re lucky (you`re low, the grenade blows in a slight ditch or some such) it can go off right next to you and evrything flies over head.

How are soldiers supoosed to fall when shot. Do German soldiers fall differently to allied?

A rather spiteful little post, I think.

jadger's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jadger:
    eh?

How many grenades have you had thrown at you. i actually read one account where a grenade blew up right next to a GI in Somalia (I think it was) black hawk down and didn`t touch him. Sometimes, if you`re lucky (you`re low, the grenade blows in a slight ditch or some such) it can go off right next to you and evrything flies over head.

How are soldiers supoosed to fall when shot. Do German soldiers fall differently to allied?

A rather spiteful little post, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

by falling like girls at a Justin Timberlake concert, I meant they all fall in rather quick succession, whereas the Americans rarely fall on-screen. Indeed the biggest character kill-off in BoB is when they did the whole uniform cleaner thing. It all comes down to an American viewership not willing to see their own boys killed on screen as much as some anonymous and faceless enemy.

and I was referring to one scene where the yankee GI is on his knees in a trench and a grenade lands right beside him, he dives away 2 feet away and isn't injured.

If you want a real war movie, watch der Untergang, now that shows more realistic combat than anything that can come out of hollywood.

In Band Of Brothers you could see quite enough American soldiers dying, and not in a pretty or hollywodd-style way.
    Der Untergang was an excellent movie, but I don't recall there were that many combat scenes, at least I don't think they were the real strong point of the movie.

Originally posted by roybaty:
    While I agree with you leitmotiv the tone of your post is a bit...trying to find a word...

I personally would love to see a drama based on the early years of the Flying Tiger's.

AndyRooneyism....you can't help but like him!

Originally posted by Breeze147:
    A study should be done on how many Brits between the ages of 65 and 61 are half-American.

J/K oops didn't mean it don't get upset keep your knickers straight bangers and mash bangers and mash wink wink
    One would be my mum, American airman, who unsuprisingly returned back home, my mum was put up for adoption. I guess that happened a fair amount. The legacy is, that it's a constant effort for me, to try to stop myself eating burgers.... genes eh!

cheers fruitbat

Originally posted by jadger:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jadger:
    eh?

A rather spiteful little post, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

by falling like girls at a Justin Timberlake concert, I meant they all fall in rather quick succession, whereas the Americans rarely fall on-screen. Indeed the biggest character kill-off in BoB is when they did the whole uniform cleaner thing. It all comes down to an American viewership not willing to see their own boys killed on screen as much as some anonymous and faceless enemy.

and I was referring to one scene where the yankee GI is on his knees in a trench and a grenade lands right beside him, he dives away 2 feet away and isn't injured.

<span class="ev_code_RED">If you want a real war movie, watch der Untergang, now that shows more realistic combat than anything that can come out of hollywood</span>. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious, Whats your definition of a real war movie? Do people really die? Presumably you have been in real combat, as you seem to know what it is really like, to be able to compare what is really realistic or not.

fruitbat

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by thefruitbat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
    A study should be done on how many Brits between the ages of 65 and 61 are half-American.

J/K oops didn't mean it don't get upset keep your knickers straight bangers and mash bangers and mash wink wink
    One would be my mum, American airman, who unsuprisingly returned back home, my mum was put up for adoption. I guess that happened a fair amount. The legacy is, that it's a constant effort for me, to try to stop myself eating burgers.... genes eh!

cheers fruitbat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i tease my dad who was with the 8th af and had several brit girlfriends, that i must have a few half brothers or sisters over there.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
    I just love when people bash something and watch it over and over at the same time... I bet leitmotiv watched BOB and SPR like 10 times and cant get enough of it... but hey, bashing is fun
    Wrong again. I watched B OF BROTHERS once when it premiered and found it embarrassing and insipid. Anything saturated with the silly ideas of that hack Stephen Ambrose will be dubious, to say the least. As for RYAN, don't get me started. One viewing was appalling. For my money the best American war film is BATAAN from 1943---the pure stuff without sanctimonious b.s. We have lost the ability to do great films about war---except for Eastwood, who did a brilliant job with his two Iwo Jima films.