SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member

Mentors Guild Community Discussion - Historical Accuracy

Hi all,

This week's Community Discussion is about the importance of historical accuracy. Please share your thoughts!

MAKING SURE THE FANS ARE HEARD

As part of a set of new Community Initiatives, we'd like to give opportunities to the community to give more direct feedback, and will now host weekly discussion on specific topics that relate the Assassin's Creed Franchise. These community discussions will take place on the AC subreddit, the Official Ubisoft Forums, and on the Mentors Guild Twitter. These discussions will be open for 1 week. The threads and responses will be shared directly with the Assassin's Creed Community Development team, who will then pass that info on to concerned parties within Ubisoft itself.

While the Mentors get opportunities to speak directly with the creators of Assassin’s Creed and frequently communicate with the Community Development Team, this is not the case for every fan. We want to change that. We want fans to have their voices heard directly, in the same ways the Mentors do. These activities are a step towards meeting this goal. If you want Ubisoft to see what you have to say, this is the place to do it.

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC

Topic:
    Historical Accuracy

Info: One of Assassin's Creed's most enduring features is so-called "historical tourism": being able to freely explore historically accurate environments, reading database entries to learn more about famous monuments, taking selfies with the Sphinx and blending in with people who dress and speak according to the social conventions of their time. The Animus exists to allow Modern Day protagonists like Desmond Miles or Layla Hassan to hunt down powerful artifacts that could still have relevance in today's world, connecting with their ancestors to learn important lessons, so that past mistakes may be avoided.
    Occasionally developers have stretched historical accuracy to, for example, add in monuments that were, in reality, still non-existent or under construction, to give players the chance to parkour around the Sistine Chapel, for example, or meet historical figures who technically should not have crossed paths with the protagonist. Starting with Origins and Odyssey, the games also began adding in more elements from mythology, in a series that traditionally had remained secular.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

-How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?

-Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?

-In your opinion, does gameplay trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?

-Would you prefer AC explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?

-Do you enjoy the Discovery Tours? Why or why not?

-Which do you prefer as a tool for learning about history, Discovery Tours or the database entries in older ACs?

-Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

As always, please feel free to add any thoughts you might have that are not covered by these example questions!

REMEMBER:

While these discussions are meant to allow for honest and raw feedback directly from the community, the best way to ensure your voice is heard is to be constructive - be critical of the process, not the people. Be specific with your criticisms and suggest tangible solutions and improvements.
    We hope to see active participation and that this will be a successful way of getting the fans' voices truly heard.
     1 people found this helpful

Very. I believe certain events should remain as they are while the writers fill in the gaps and try to tie it into the lore. That's what the previous AC games were good at - mixing the Assassin lore with history in a way that was plausible.

-Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?

The only one that did was renaissance Italy because I had some blind spots there but others like the American Revolution, Victorian London, WW1 London, for instance, I already knew extensively about because it was was drilled into me having attended a British school, although Winston Churchill was totally out of place in Syndicate when he would have been better used for WWII...

-In your opinion, does gameplay trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?

It depends to what extent. I don't mind making statues bigger, for instance, for the sake of making parkour more efficient. I don't mind including women and ethnic minority characters in more positive or strong roles but I don't want entire historical events changed. Think of it like this: if Henry VIII executing Anne Boleyn via being burned at the stake is a 50% sync and having her beheaded is 100% sync then not executing her at all is an instant fail/desync.

-Would you prefer AC explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?

I would prefer they do both because that's what Ubisoft has always been good at. It was never one or the other for the most part.

No because they're too passive for a video game. The old way of actually climbing a building and then the database pops up to inform you of its context was actually far better in terms of player engagement and also felt like a feature of the animus as opposed to an immersion breaking museum tour. This video basically sums up my thoughts:

And in the case of Egypt I think a lot of us already knew the basics anyway seeing as westerners are so obsessed with it. Also, some of the "facts" in Discovery Mode were questionable...

-Which do you prefer as a tool for learning about history, Discovery Tours or the database entries in older ACs?

The latter. Again, like the video says: Discovery Mode feels like something you're assigned to do. The database entries are purely self motivated.

-Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

Back in the ACs of old it was always assumed that the final game would take place with Desmond in modern day and... well, that fell flat. Modern day AC is an endgame idea. It's not something you do now as that sort of defeats the USP. I wouldn't mind an Isu era game but would much prefer an actual historical one.

As always, please feel free to add any thoughts you might have that are not covered by these example questions!

That is all.
     2 people found this helpful

Mushashi7's Avatar Senior Member
    QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

- How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?

It is extremely important. It annoys me immensely when basic historical facts are misused or twisted. I also think the game series will loose a lot of its integrity if history is altered. I would loose a great deal of my sympathy towards a company who has no respect for facts. Today I would say this even more important as many people strive to find something to believe in. If you no longer can believe in history what's left then?
    There might be some thoughts about Ubisoft raping history to earn some money. But I don't think this a simple way to see things. Ubisoft does a real good job integrating history and video games. And perhaps some envy them their success?

- Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?

Odyssey called on Greek history books and books about Greek heroes and myths (it's actually placed right here at my PC in this moment). I could probably read about the same things in the Discovery section but I often prefer to have it served in my own language.
    But what you can do, is bring more live footage from museums and dig sites perhaps?
    Origins was the reason I started playing Assassin's Creed for real - Egypt is a large interest for me.
    I am a seller of used and rare books and had the opportunity to achieve a huge collection on the subject (One of my pearls is the original first edition trilogy of "The Tomb of Tut-Ankh-Amen" by Howard Carter from 1932-39 with all the original photographs by Harry Burton).

- In your opinion, does game play trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?

A game developer inevitably needs to have a certain freedom. I don't have large concerns. You pick a time period and the stage. But try not to change historical persons, architecture and places too much (like Alkibiades). Rather put another person on the spot instead and create another stage. Regarding legends and myth your hands are a bit more free.

- Would you prefer AC explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?

Both actually. And I think you have done a damn good job in Odyssey. Nothing is way out of context. The mythical creatures was well placed and somehow believable. Keep this balance and all will be good I think. I was actually surprised how well you managed the legendary beasts.
    But maybe a bit more material from the real world in the Discovery section too?

- Do you enjoy the Discovery Tours? Why or why not?

I sometimes take time to use the discovery mode. Not everything but in order of interest. All depending on time, place and the closer circumstances. Some evenings I can use maybe a half or an entire hour to study certain subject or areas.

- Which do you prefer as a tool for learning about history, Discovery Tours or the database entries in older ACs?

Maybe a mix of both? The discovery mode can be very handy. I'm not afraid to pause the game for a while. But you often forget to read the facts when you're playing a game even though you promised your self to do so later on? Maybe add a feature in the game where you can 'flag' a point of interest and be remembered about this in the main game menu at closing/starting up?

- Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

Rubbish! Modern day wouldn't be out of history. How will you defend being creative on actual historical events even in modern time?
    But the Isu reign would. As for the Isu you can cook whatever you want in my world. No limits for your imagination or mine.

I would very much like to see extensive Isu material. I think Ubisoft has managed to create a solid fantasy based on rumors and legends - which might contain some truth perhaps...? 2001: A Space Odyssey? You never know.
    The Isu can be used to develop games beyond our imagination. And if done well also beyond existing video game stories?
    Do not hide the Isu. On the contrary. It's an ace in your hand, Ubisoft!

pesto.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Pretty important, it grounds the series in a more complex world than simple fantasy which is a huge boon for the series. It also means you get to interact with characters and events that I already know but would like to experience from other perspectives than just the main path. It instantly elevates the narrative and art.

Yes, I love that it makes me think now and then, and that it provides me with fodder to go and explore and learn about. Both in historical narrative and in artistic details. I wish more of the concept art and research material was included in the game, i.e. next time you guys go on a field trip please bring the cameras! Do the interviews with your artists explaining what they're seeing. Let the historians talk about it to camera. You do know you can make bank on the "making of" right?

Yes gameplay does trump historical accuracy. But narrative doesn't. So if you need to adjust proportions of things slightly to accommodate parkour mechanics, or change the scale of a city so it's more of the highlights and less of the dross then it makes sense (although I would love to see some full scale ancient cities and towns). But it starts to jar in the narrative when characters are brought together who we know never met, or are younger or older than they should be, or are presented as having written their life's seminal work before the work was conceived. The character stuff jars, the set dressing not so much.

Closer to historically accurate for me, though I get why you want mythology. It allows you to bring in big bad bosses with superpowers to rival the players own.

I think Odyssey is as "myth" as I'd want things to get while still being historical AC. But I can see room for AC Mythology and Fantasy series perhaps in a universe where the technology allows Abstergo "authors" to build completely fictional worlds as training grounds or to tease out the thread of authentic reality that a myth or story that a famous author may be based upon in order to find ancient artifacts, a sort of puzzle where the player tries to divine a way out of the halucination of myth.

In that vein I'd love to see AC based in famous books. Pride and Prejudice AC anyone? Even better, Discworld AC, who wouldn't want to play the young patrician after all they have a whole assassins guild... Night Watch practically is an AC story...

Yes and no. I love that they're in there for schools and kids to learn about history, but at the same time I feel they're a slightly awkward mix of passive and active. Like I can sit back and enjoy a good history documentary because it doesn't keep asking me for input, or I can enjoy a game and learn as I play because I'm already in the process of interacting. But the halfway house makes it feel like I can neither relax and enjoy learning nor get in there and ask questions/find out more.

Neither. I prefer when Kassandra starts talking as she enters a place. I wish that in the game there were a lot more dialog for that, each time she (or whomever the protagonist) encountered something to give me her inner thoughts on a place, little tidbits of knowledge, and have more dialog than for just the first time. I'd like to be able to just go up to people in the game and go "Whatcha doin?" and have the tour seamless from that.

I just don't like jumping out of the action that much.

What I loved about God Of War was the boat and learning about the mythology each time I stepped into it. Bring that to AC.

Sure. And like I said complete fiction/fantasy worlds too. However I feel these should be treated as special non-cannon or as a slightly different branch of AC. I feel the brand is strongest with historical drama.

It's critical. The entire plot of AC is based on the twin pillars of historical accuracy and mythological inserts. Without the science fiction intervention into history, there is no real plot to Assassin's Creed. But for that intervention to carry narrative weight, the rest of the game needs to sell the player on the historical accuracy of the world.

I actually did end up spending some time in some wikipedia rabbit holes about Renaissance Italy figures, some of the pirates in AC 4, as well as Egyptian history, because of interest piqued by those AC games. I had pre-existing interests in the other periods covered by AC games, so I can't say AC impacted me with those.

Because building architecture can create unique terrain, gameplay as a justification can work a little better when dealing with buildings. However, I think the best way to do this with buildings is to actually have the modern day characters call attention to it. A "bug" in the animus bleeding in some genetic memories about the location from later or earlier descendants, it can be a passing comment. I actually think an older AC game might have already done that.

Anachronistic characters though is a different matter. Historically inaccurate characters are not really "gameplay" in the way people use the term. That's just plain story rather than gameplay, and I'd say as a rule it undermines the quality of the story in AC when a historical character who was not around in reality is inserted in. However, a rule can have an exception. The exception here would be if the insertion of the character is explained by the Assassin / Templar / Isu mythology (i.e., a character who should have died long before the events of the story, but has been kept alive through Isu technology, like Pythagoras, would fall into the exception).

But outside of that exception, if the writers just REALLY want to insert a historical character who in reality was just outside the scope of the historical events taking place in the game, I'd say it's a temptation they should not give into.

I think the better way to think of it is that AC works best when the history is intertwined and driven by a mythology that's just under the surface. It's fine to have us explore some hidden vault that has some special Isu tech or genetically modified construct of Isu origin - that kind of thing is a neat side journey and honestly only takes up like 5% of the game time (people have overblown how much of AC Odyssey involved these mythological journeys - at least in the main plot, obviously the DLC is all about it). I don't think that's something that should be avoided.

But certainly the primary plot, the historical protagonist's journey, should feel like something deeply embedded within their own time, and in portraying that, the game should try to give a strong feeling of historical accuracy. Ubisoft should want its audience to feel like they are seeing a historical world with a cool sci-fi insertion carefully and skillfully done to fit into history. It doesn't work well if the whole world just feels like the arbitrary whim of someone not being that careful about history.

I thought the Egypt ones were pretty good. In truth though, the reason I thought they were good was just the narration. Not that I'm a lazy reader, but there's something relaxing in hearing little historical tidbits by a good narrator's voice. Other than that, they're really just like a database entry, except with a bit of visual movement represented in the world. That said, I think there's a real downside to the way the Discovery Tour has been done also.

And the downside is this: They've come out very late in the games' lifetimes. The database entries, while less sophisticated, had the benefit of popping up as you played through the main story of earlier games, so that you could pause and read about the historical context of some sight on the screen. The Discovery Tours weren't available when the games released, by the time they come out, a lot of the game's buyers have moved onto new games.

When it comes to stuff like this, you kind of want to strike while the iron is hot. No matter how you want to add context or information snippets to the world, databases, discovery tours, it's best to have that stuff ready to go when the game initially releases.

I think a modern game should be the conclusion of the series as a whole. I had always hoped that was where they were going with Desmond,back when Desmond was around.

I don't think the Isu reign would make a good game. It could work as a small, memory fragment of a game, but not as the main setting. Part of the benefit AC has in storytelling is that by setting things in real world history, they have all the complexity and depth of history to provide the world around their characters. An Isu world would have to be created from scratch and would be less deep. Spending the bulk of your adventure there would probably leave you feeling like Isu tech is mundane and uninteresting.

The elephant in the room with historical accuracy is the effort to insert women into roles and occupations that they historically would have been exceedingly rare or non-existent in (soldiers, mercenaries). Combined with this was that the world reacts the same to you playing Kassandra as they do to Alexios - something that would certainly have not been the case in history, where Kassandra would have been a historical novelty as a female mercenary, but Alexios would not have been. Not only that, but the decision to chuck historical accuracy in favor of anachronistic equal treatment also meant a real missed opportunity in terms of plot: Athens and Sparta had significant differences in how they treated their women. You wouldn't know it from the story of the game.

Ultimately, I think this kind of anachronistic writing just feels like an awkward, hamfisted insert of political correctness. If Ubisoft gets everything else right, the best that can be said was that it doesn't detract much from the story of the game, but it certainly adds nothing of value and often means missed opportunities.

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member

Extremely important because this is the only franchise in the game industry that offers accurate historical tourism. There is nothing else out there that comes close to Assassin's Creed.

Yes. Origins enhanced my curiosity about ancient Egypt for instance.

Well, to some extent yes. I am not a fan of anachronism but I can tolerate some anachronism for the sake of entertainment. Not much though! For example the Acropolis of Athens displays some buildings which did not exist back in 430 BC. They were added by the Romans later on. However, the gain is that we see the complete version of the Acropolis which is even more impressive. This game does not offer a view on ancient Greek history only. Mythology is also presented and there is nothing wrong with that as long as historical settings and mythological beasts are separate.

I prefer the historical part to the mythological because ancient Greek mythology has already been shown in other games like God of War. Also, Gods and Monsters will focus heavily on Greek mythology, next year. Video games have already covered most of Greek mythology so far. It is Greek history that was never shown before in any game and Odyssey did a good job displaying some aspects and characters of the Peloponnesean War. The same applies to other settings like Egypt. Egyptian mythology was shown before in video games. Egyptian history? Not so much. AC should focus on history much more than mythology in my view.

Origins had a fantastic Discovery Tour that I watched on YouTube. I expect Odyssey's Tour to be even better. Yes, I enjoy Discovery Tours because they go beyond playing a game. Discovery Tours are educational tools that can be used by history teachers in their classrooms, in order to make the teaching of history an enjoyable experience. By definition, a game that teaches you something important (AC) is more useful than a game that's pure entertainment only.

Discovery Tours are better than the old database entries. I can only compare Unity's database entries to Origins' Discovery Tour. Unity's system is not interactive, you only read about historical facts without enjoying the learning experience, as much as you do in Origins, for example. I prefer the interactive Discovery Tours.

No. Not at all. Modern Day is not important to me. The ISU reign would be more interesting but again, it would be pure fiction like millions of other video games in the market. Historical tourism is the only thing that sets this franchise apart from the rest of the game industry.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    When it comes to history in Assassin's Creed, I think there's a balancing act. You car err on the side of leaning too far into the historical aspects and getting that "Forrest Gump Effect" (like in ACIII), or you can neglect the historical events too much and favor a personal story a bit too heavily (AC Unity).

Personally, I think the sweet spot is Black Flag- lots of history and interacting with historical figures, but a pretty original story about the Templars and Assassins woven into it.

Outside of that, though, these are open games, so the threads of history extend outside of just the story. I think the little stuff like civilian activities really help with creating an immersive and historical world. I expect that the upcoming Discovery Tour will reveal a lot more of these little details in Odyssey.

I figure that no game can be totally accurate, so I definitely don't have a problem with some inaccuracies. I do think Odyssey took quite a bit creative freedom at times in its world, particularly with the enormous statues. In Dungeons and Dragons, there's a phrase called the "Rule of Cool". Basically, it's the idea that the Dungeon Master can bend the rules of what's possible in the game as long in favor of making situations more enjoyable and "cool". I think there's an argument that could be made for that in regards to historical accuracy in AC games, too, though I can see how not everybody would be on the same page with that.

Do you enjoy the Discovery Tours? Why or why not?

i find history to be really interesting so i'm sure AC Odyssey Discovery Tour's going to be cool

OK confession: The pirate version of AC Origins i might have played didn't have for example Discovery Tour.

but the game was so amazing i was compelled to buy AC Odyssey

Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?
    100% it has inspired me to learn more. AC brings the history books to life.

i find AC to be mindblowing because it is immersive & it gives me some flavour of what it must've been like back then & because the civilizations we see in AC have a connection with London - where i grew up (because Rome founded London) & so AC reveals this amazing tree of civilizations & also: because impermance is so powerful - existential crisis! in a way nothing is real - i will be swept away like Greece & the ancient Egyptians were. Maybe England will be swept away. Maybe, if we don't sort things out, the human race itself will be lost in the sands of time

IMO, Ubisoft has done a fantastic job. It has brought the study of history into the mainstream in a similar way to movies like Gladiator & 300 but it's done it in an even more compelling way.

So now, my plan is when i get enough time, to make thousands of flash cards about Greece & use the brilliant memory boosting software called Supermemo to test myself everyday

The things we learn are nearly always forgotten.
    But Supermemo makes it nearly impossible to forget what we've learnt

so e.g. using the loading screen info in AC Origins, i made a flashcard:
    Q: [...]shepsut was Egypt's 1st female pharaoh

A: Hatshepsut

So Supermemo will test me on this, today, & also in 2 days time, & then in 6 days time, in 16 days time, in 2 months, in 6 months, next year etc. The reason the time increases is because my brain gets more familiar with the knowledge so the software doesn't need to test me so much

So as part of this plan, I have made a website of all the known historical locations in AC Odyssey:
    https://dcgetyhe45bb67.wixsite.com/acohlocations

btw *please* can we buy a map of all the historical locations (like the orichalcum map)

Sadly my website isn't googleable + i don't know how to make it into a superior "leaflet" map like the map in the AC Odyssey story creator

I would like to fix these things
    to help the community
    but i'm busy (people are hurting me a lot with lawyers & i can't afford a lawyer so i have to study law all the time for like a million years)

This greatly reduces the amount of greek history flashcards i can make

Which do you prefer as a tool for learning about history, Discovery Tours or the database entries in older ACs?

Without making flashcards nearly all the information that i've read using the historical locations in AC Odyssey has/will be forgotten
    It's in 1 ear & out the other
    This is the big problem with the way that the history information is being presented in AC Odyssey & in AC Black Flag

However, seeing the video for the AC Odyssey Discovery Tour, we see that there is a QUIZ:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEXwqaON9G0

Ha ha!

This is much more superiorer because the learner's mind will be engaged with answering the questions. This assists memorization.

I wish such quizzes became part of the full game allowing us to have the option of earning a game currency as a reward

perhaps by testing our knowledge during the loadings screens

perhaps successfully answering questions could lead to clues which lead us to more historical locations?

There's a criticism u could perhaps aim at professional Fortnite players - they are so skilled & devoted they aren't actually good at anything else & so the game is turning them into losers. Once Fortnite is gone they will have nothing

Games in the future are going to be better & more enjoyable & addictive & so perhaps the criticism that "games turn people into losers" is going to get louder

However, if a game has educational elements e.g. by testing our knowledge at regular intervals then perhaps some of this criticism can be deflected. So e.g. parents may ban Fortnite-type time sinks but allow their kids to play more educational games like AC. So i think this educational route is maybe a way that Ubisoft can outcompete other companies

& perhaps games should e.g. teach us how to do the 1st aid on people
    or do car driving?

How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?
    It's important.

In your opinion, does gameplay trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?

Yes. Enjoyment is the main thing. I didn't study much history before AC so anachronisms just fly over my head like a big, loud metal owl with people inside

Apparently the Spartans didn't have much of a navy. Shrugs
    The real distance from Athens to Sparta = 100 km (in the game it is only 20 km). Shrugs

However, animals in those days had genitals.

Please return the genitals

Would you prefer AC explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?

I loved the cartoon movie Beowulf (which had Vikings & mythology) but i agree with Torvaldesq:
    ...AC works best when the history is intertwined and driven by a mythology that's just under the surface. It's fine to have us explore some hidden vault that has some special Isu tech or genetically modified construct of Isu origin - that kind of thing is a neat side journey and honestly only takes up like 5% of the game time....But certainly the primary plot, the historical protagonist's journey, should feel like something deeply embedded within their own time, and in portraying that, the game should try to give a strong feeling of historical accuracy.
    I think in the Olympics, Kassandra should've been banned due to not being a man
    btw I'm a feminist but women were treated unfairly & maybe it would've been good if she'd had a set of missions where she persuades them to let her compete despite the ban?

Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?
    Maybe we are in 1 right now? Maybe when we die we will wake up & see we were plugged into an Animus all along

ninja4hire10's Avatar Member
    How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?

Honestly, so-so. I don't think AC accuracy needs to be strictly on-point because of the sci-fi fantasy narrative of the series. I think AC's at its best when it bends the rules slightly and blurs the line between the fantastical and the actual.

Absolutely. I read up on each time period prior to a release as much as I can. Gets me primed and it's part of the fun. I also cook up a meal or some kind of foodstuff on the eve of release that's related to the upcoming game, i.e. fish n' chips before Syndicate, homemade pizza before Brotherhood, seafood before Black Flag, etc.

As long as it's not too blaring, I have no problem with it as long as the building or what have you is related to the story.

This is where I say stick closer to actual historical time periods. Kinda hard to do "historical tourism" or claim "history is our playground" if the entire setting veers too far into fantasy elements.

I do. I think they're useful and I do learn new facts. No other franchise that does "history" is doing anything remotely like it.

Hmm. That's tough. The database entries could sometimes get overly wordy, but Shaun's snarky commentary was great (and I do miss it.) Maybe if an Animus construct of "Shaun" guided the Discovery Tour and we'd get his snarky voiceovers. That's be fun.

In short, nah. Not in the least. I know there's a very vocal pro-MD camp that's chomping at the bit for a full MD game, but we already have that in other franchises like Watch Dogs or Splinter Cell. I know those games aren't EXACTLY like AC, but the game mechanics would be very similar. Climbing an ancient spire to get a view of some forgotten patch of land is inspiring; climbing a Taco Bell to get a better view of east Des Moines is boring as all get out.

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    Not critically important, but important because AC is a series that's pretty much based on the realism of different era's - reliving past memories of previous Assassins.
    It's part of AC's past that sets it apart from most all other games and it should keep its uniqueness.

Yes, Origins / ancient Egypt. When I see documentaries on certain Periods that AC has created a game on, I'll watch the documentary out of interest.

Yes but not so loosely that it ruins all integrity of the history. Gameplay is critically important to me so I'm fine with some fiction/mythology littered through it.
    Possibly a disclaimer on the Load screen might be a good idea to announce that some things were altered in the game for purposes of enhanced gameplay - that some of it is fictional?

I love both and tend to veer more towards the mythology. Offering mythology within more of the Options & side stories (not forced through majority of the main story) might be a good way to add the fiction to spare the Historically traditional players.?

I've never done one but people more interested in history seem to love them =)

Database entries

Not as much as history - if it was Modern Day or ISU, it would really have to be done well to bring us up to speed ...
    make it understandable to players like me that don't care as much about following AC Lore or who Origins & Odyssey brought in who won't understand much of it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►