Historical Accuracy:

I've only played a few AC games, and I do appreciate the historical accuracy vs gameplay balance that Ubisoft has been able to achieve. One of the things that I always think about with any movie, game, or show that takes place in some older time period is how remarkably clean everything is made out to be. I imagine that ancient Greece, ancient Egypt, and early colonial Boston were not nearly as clean as Assassins Creed portrayed them to be. Even the tunnels/sewers under NY and Boston were remarkably clean in AC3 relative to what I imagine they would have actually looked like. So considering this, do I want accuracy in such a way that these historical places have alleyways, and streets are full of trash and in every house, in some corner, there is literally a pot to piss in? Certainly not. Gameplay experience has to take some precedence. Does it matter that a potential real-life Kassandra or Alexios couldn't have possibly performed most, if not all, of the ability attacks that Odyssey allows? Certainly not because gameplay has to take some precedence. The importance for me is balance. Be true to the time period, the history of the story you're telling, and the history and personalities of the characters that are telling your story, but don't be afraid to go a little off the rails. It's okay that a Japanese style katana called the Blade of Yumminess(Yominas,) which is entirely unlikely to be found in Greece during this time period is in the game. It's okay that Kassandra has to fight mythical creatures that actually didn't exist. It's okay that the central protagonist of the game is a woman, when in all likelihood, should be a man in the time period. (As a side note, I don't remember anyone complaining about Xena fighting alongside Hercules, battling it out for ratings and viewers. Other side note.. Hercules actually should have been named Heracles, shouldn't he?) My point is this. Balance. Tell the story you want to tell. Historical accuracy is so enriching for a story, but that doesnt mean you should be afraid to tell the story you want to tell simply because it didn't or couldn't have actually happened that way. I also think it's important to take stock of the times we live in. Allow the hero to be female or homosexual or Islamic or whatever. Feel free to put a stone floor in a Viking longhouse which would have most likely have been dirt, and don't fill the building with so much smoke that it's impossible to see even though they didn't have chimneys. (Wink wink, nudge nudge) If you want the opportunity to go completely off the reservation, send the hero to the Duat or Atlantis or.. Valhalla. (wink wink, nudge nudge) In both Odyssey and Origins, it was so refreshing for me to get that change of scenery after hundreds of gameplay hours amongst the trees, mountains, and sand dunes. On top of that, you told some amazing stories when you did it.

Discovery Tools:

I loved the discovery tour in Origins. I definitely preferred that over the database entries buried in the menu in AC3. While I read them all, and I appreciated the education factor of it, the database entries did nothing for me in terms of gameplay experience. I loved being able to travel and look around during the Discovery tour in Origins. I found that I saw more of the game's environment and design during the tour, than I did the entire campaign because I was always too busy running off to assassinate or save someone. However, I often found myself standing in places or walking somewhere with nothing incredibly interesting to look at while the narration was playing, unless I was in a building or pyramid. So how do you improve on that? In order to engage the player a little more, I think we just need something to click on. As we're moving through the tour and we're listening to the narrator give us our history lesson, make the environment interactive. Let us click on different things in the area that provide little snippets of extra info in the style of an Ostraka or letter pop-up. You don't even have to restrict it to historical information. Give us some behind-the-scenes development stuff. DVDs and Blurays have been doing it since their inception. Like why did the game designer decide to put ISU architecture in certain places that it did? Were the followers of Ares based on a real group of people and is their design historically accurate? Why or why not? Those are just some examples. The importance is keeping the player engaged throughout the tour. Maybe short, simple cutscenes could play out during certain parts, or maybe the narrator could guide the player to intentionally look at specific things in the environment. I'm excited for the quizzes in the upcoming Discovery Tour and I'm just so excited to hear the narration. The narrators for Origins were amazing, though I've got my fingers crossed for Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough for the next go-around.

Modern/Non-Historical or ISU Game:

Yes to both. I love the lore of the AC series so an entire game based in ISU history would be amazing for me. A modern game would would be amazing too, though I have some reservations about it. I do not want the bow and arrow to be replaced by a firearm in a modern setting game. I understand that it makes sense to be that way because there's no way Abstergo security is running around with bows and arrows. How do you arm the enemies in a modern day AC game, without ruining the combat of an AC game? You can't give everyone batons and tasers. What sort of combat experience would that be? Also, I think a modern setting AC game would have to be the last one. With Odyssey, I feel we're approaching an endgame scenario where both the Assassin and the Templar organizations would be abolished due to corruption and radicalism on both sides. That would be the end of the series and would have to take place in a modern setting. If you guys can figure out the combat and are ready to end the series, go for it.

-How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?

Historical accuracy is important to me, particularly when it comes to the historical characters and major historical events. However, I study literature and Assassin's Creed rewrites History, so I understand that sometimes, things have to be changed to be more interesting for nowadays' players (ex: Kassandra participating to the Olympics for example, it suits the story, so that's great).

-Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?

I knew about a few historical events before playing the games, but I didn't know much about the Pirate Golden Age, so I read a lot about the pirates after I played the games, particularly Anne Bonnie and Mary Read since I found them so interesting.

-In your opinion, does gameplay trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?

I like Odyssey's gameplay a lot.

-Would you prefer AC explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?

A more historically accurate perspective. I love mythology and I love what we got in Origins and Odyssey, but History is a passion for me.

-Do you enjoy the Discovery Tours? Why or why not?

Yes, this is so interesting, I can't wait for Odyssey's one. I love to learn or relearn about historical characters, buildings, environments and cultures and I also really like the "behind the scenes" ones in which you explain some choices you made for the games.

-Which do you prefer as a tool for learning about history, Discovery Tours or the database entries in older ACs?

I miss Shawn's database entries, but I think I prefer the Discovery Tours because we can have even more informations than in the database entries.

-Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

I would play it, but I'd certainly preferred an AC game that takes place during a historical period instead, like all the other AC titles.

How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?

I honestly do not really care for historical accuracy, for I already know how it will end. I do enjoy the fantasy side of the game more. However, some historical facts should be preserved based on what has stood the test of time, and we play alongside it as an observer and less so a cause of it.

Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?

Most of this time period I did research into it, so it felt very familiar in certain areas. I do enjoy the arcs that walk along the side of history but is not necessarily the story of the historical event, a possible side adventure to an already known plot.

In your opinion, does gameplay trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?

It depends on the type of building, for example, the lair of the mystical beasts, I love finding them, but I also enjoy finding statues of the gods, and I love the feel of towns from the time period. So I would say to preserve the historical accuracy of the towns and villages, but do some fantasy in the great vast world of adventure where folklore and horror stories can be explored. Much like your doing right now.

Would you prefer AC to explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?

I think this is the same as question 1, so I will not reanswer, but just show how myth or fantasy can inspire bad writing when just doing it for the story. In Legacy of the Blade chapter 2, I chose to settle down and live a simple life. To not give any spoilers, I had brought two important persons to safety. A cutscene then happened, and my character was there choosing to fight and save someone of less importance, who I thought had lived long enough. based on my whole characteristic and my choices, I would not go back, for the two I brought to safety was most important.

Basically, what I am saying is, if you're going to add something, ensure the player is in control of his destiny despite the outcome of history or fantasy. For right now the immersion was just broken due to that one important event in the game. I just feel like my journey belongs to the writers, for such a crucial decision should never have been taken away from me. I no longer am interested in finishing Legacy of the Blade. So be careful how your adding and embellishing, for you can literally break immersion, whether it be fantasy or historical.

Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

Yes! However, if Watchdogs is any indication of the driving physics Ubisoft uses, I would rather you put the main hero on rollerblades. Since I assume transportation in modern-day vehicles would be a thing. I loved the horse and carriage movement in previous games, but I really would love if your going modern, that driving felt natural and not arcadey. Even in breakPoint, the driving feels a little better but it's choppy and stiff and not fluid. The team that does driving should look at rotary movements when turning a steering wheel. So I fear my immersion would be broken for a fun modern title, and the driving sucks.

They should do an AC about the aztecs.

Maybe I'm a little late but this topic somehow got to the top. Can't skip it, really.

-How important is historical accuracy in AC to you?
    Well... What is "historical accuracy"? <Socrates mode on>
    When I was a teenager it was important for me most of the characters in ACII, Brotherhood and maybe Revelations are real historical persons. However, I quickly understood that Assassin's Creed has never been a history book with some hidden orders. No. Assassin's Creed is a good story and lore which are simply based on what modern history knows.
    The best way to show history accuracy is to show architecture. That's all. Well, of course we don't need to see, I don't know, Ronald Reagan in the setting of Feudal Japan, but you got it.

-Has AC inspired you to learn more about certain historical events or time periods?
    Yes and it happens always after every game's release. After playing games I start to search if some person from the game was real or fictional and, of course, learn some interesting facts about history.

-In your opinion, does gameplay trump historical accuracy? E.g. adding in buildings or characters that are technically anachronistic for the sake of enhancing the experience?
    I don't really care about it, because it's understood for me that Assassin's Creed Universe is not our Universe. Still, please, don't add Ronald Reagan in Feudal Japan. Thank you.

-Would you prefer AC explore time periods from a more historically accurate perspective or veer closer to mythology?
    Well that's easy: from historically accurate perspective as it was before Origins... No, before Syndicate. Syndicate was really bad in historical accuracy.
    I love the atmosphere of first, Desmond games. It was about the secret, about The Ones, Who Came Before. There was no Isu at this moment, there were just them, three of them. It was a hidden power, which was an object of wars through all the history.
    However, expanding Isu theme was something people demanded years ago. Now people can demand returning to the modern settings. People can't unite to demand only one thing. So, I guess, expanding Isu lore is something series needed years ago and it's necessary.

-Do you enjoy the Discovery Tours? Why or why not?
    No, because I feel them boring.

-Which do you prefer as a tool for learning about history, Discovery Tours or the database entries in older ACs?
    Database.
    The first reason is charismatic Shaun Hastings. I miss him. However, if we will have a closer look on Alannah Ryan, we can love her too. Just don't make an emphasis on the fact that she's about to replace him, okay?
    The second reason is that they're not too long and unactive. You read them - it's just like a small rest!
    Still, Discovery Tours are necessary in a games like Origins or Odyssey which are set in times when life was too different.

-Would you ever be open to an AC game that takes place outside of history, e.g. completely in Modern Day or during the Isu reign?
    Yes, but I don't know if you will be open. How will you make a marketing campaign of such a game?
    You will come to E3 and say just like "So, we've got an Isu game for you!", and players like "Who're Isu?", "Where will it be?" and else. Maybe it will be a good setting for Sumer civilization, but I still feel something bad about it.
    However, what is "Modern Setting"? For me, modern setting is a setting after WWII. It's hard to say that looking into my laptop connected to the wireless internet, but life in 60's was already pretty common for us. I think it's modern enough setting. This is what I would like to see.
    Still, about modern setting like 2020 or else... I don't know, we do already have Watch Dogs, so it better be something like it was in Brotherhood... Well, expanded, with pedestrians and else.

Extending the tale of the keeper?

I have loved the assassin creed story lines for quite some time now and I like how historical accuracy plays a part in your stories, but I especially like the story's you tell. You have quite a talented group of writers in your hire. Accuracy is ok but not really that important to me personally. That said as much fun as I had playing origins and then odyssey I would like to see a assassin's creed story line following odyssey's the keeper through time with all the wars and loves that are spoke of in Atlantis. I love all of your far cry games also. Thank you for this forum!!
     1 people found this helpful

Ac r

AC R, was (or is), one of the modern democracies finest defenses. It is possible to see the ultimate defense, of the Roman republic, as it was.
    By observation, it was possible to move a view point, Between the Oracle locations of the ancient world, as it might have been witnessed by Apollo, Zues, or Dianna.
    While traditional images would have been a single still image, there are examples of a movement, or several Images in motion. The movement expressed that defense, as the traits of each deity. The movement between Oracle locations, indicates the most sacred sites known to the Roman world.
    Each Oracle location is considered a location dedicated, to one of the gods, within the Roman pantheon. Those locations where sacred sites, where the followers of a deity where most protected by the Gods.
    God's of the Roman pantheon, where considered present at those locations, as well as present in Olympus. While not all Oracle locations are known, to modern historical thought, we can attempt to reconstruct the movement between sacred sites. A continuous movement, across the image of a map, would result. Moving between each sacred location, or viewing several images, of each Deity in the Roman Pantheon, is the ultimate expression of defensive might.

My personal opinion - The last thing AC needs is to be a simulator of past times reality.

Imagine....you start the game....and AC is a simulation of medieval reality, for instance....

No one will like dry historic game! No one will like AC as a History Textbook! It's clear as day.

Mythology makes the game richer. Mythology expands borders: both in terms of plot and gameplay. (Even "Vikings" series used mythology....For Assassin's Creed it goes without saying!)

Just let's look at it this way......
    There were two medieval, historic games "The Witcher3" and "Kingdom Come: Deliverance". Yes, they're different and so on. But if you had the option to choose only one of the games which one would you choose???

I choose The Witcher.

Just organize a survey! "The Witcher vs Kingdom Come". "The Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance?" I'm afraid majority will choose The Witcher 3.
    (Despite the fact that "Kingdom Come" was coming as The Witcher killer. Positioning itself as realistic historical game, without all that sh-tty magic.)

Originally Posted by GameGuru2018 Go to original post
    No one will like dry historic game! No one will like AC as a History Textbook! It's clear as day.
    It depends of who is making it and how they do the game, since history is certainly not dry. KCD just didn’t do a good job.

Also I wouldn’t choose either of those games since I’m not a fan of either.

JKAC2013's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by GameGuru2018 Go to original post
    My personal opinion - The last thing AC needs is to be a simulator of past times reality.

Imagine....you start the game....and AC is a simulation of medieval reality, for instance....

Mythology makes the game richer. Mythology expands borders: both in terms of plot and gameplay. (Even "Vikings" series used mythology....For Assassin's Creed it goes without saying!)

Just let's look at it this way......
    There were two medieval, historic games "The Witcher3" and "Kingdom Come: Deliverance". Yes, they're different and so on. But if you had the option to choose only one of the games which one would you choose???

I choose The Witcher.

Just organize a survey! "The Witcher vs Kingdom Come". "The Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance?" I'm afraid majority will choose The Witcher 3.
    (Despite the fact that "Kingdom Come" was coming as The Witcher killer. Positioning itself as realistic historical game, without all that sh-tty magic.)
    And what have a comparison of these games to do with Assassins Creed? Also Witcher his not a historic game its Fantasy.

A strength of The Series is it to be Historical Accurate and made a setting interesting because of its History. This is the spirit of AC and why this series is unique. The entire Mythology and Fantasy stuff destroys that... We have enough Fantasy games out there.
     1 people found this helpful