Well it instills ~a form~ of progression, OR chops up the entirety of it.. I think immersion, thus sense of progression takes a beating for every reason the player gets to pause real time gameplay- whether it is for a musak filled map menu, backpack menu or skill tree menu. This ties into what was mentioned way earlier in this thread about the real time map management of FC2, how it kept the player invested in the gameworld even when not interacting with it directly. I think an absent skill point system will do something similar to gameplay progression in that regard, in leaving the player to focus more on GAMEPLAY progression, immersing him further yet into the game mechanics and the gameworld- while even urging the game designers to further polish on the implementation and variation of animations that otherwise restrict protagonist actions.

Less could be more in some funny way.

HorTyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Immersion is great and all, but at the end of the day we will always know we are actually playing a videogame. I certainly wouldn't want UI that is so complicated to use we have to spend more time in a map or skill tree screen than absolutely necessary, but 10 seconds here and there isn't enough of an immersion killer to make me want to do away with obtaining new abilities over the course of a game. I honestly cannot recall a game where you don't obtain new skills and abilities that I would consider better than an equivalent title that does. It was one of the additions to FC3 that I felt was an improvement over 2. If a minor amount of immersion is lost, it's a worthwhile sacrifice imo. I think it's fairly safe to assume FC6 will have far bigger "immersion killers" than the skill tree menu.

How will we heal our partners during battles?
    Will we heal them at all?
    Or they should heal themeslves?

Can healing process turn into interesting gameplay?

Healing - raises a lot of questions.

I'm inclined to think that healing may turn into exciting gameplay.
    Only if we will not be forced to heal our partners every 3 seconds!

We can heal our partners by running up, sliding, and making injection, for instance.
    And we can heal them by throwing healing dart.

In the middle of the battle, when we're out of medicine.... bleeding... we shout out our friends name and ......the dart is flying with whistle and it sticks into our body ....the protaginist should comment it somehow at that moment.

But it shouldn't be a healing pistol. (Otherwise too much guns)
    We should throw a healing dart.

Something like it was in Wasteland 3.

I like how healing was relized in Youngblood.
    She heals you - you heal her.
    Explosions, shooting around ....you're running and shooting, running and healing ...total nightmare!

Less than two years.
    Good innovations.

People didn't like weak story and cutscenes but the game as game was good.
    Semi-open world, semi-rpg.

Arkane Studios decorated the game well. Paris was beautiful.
    Location to explore.....in Dishonored way.

When you're playing New Colossus after it ...it looks and feels like corridor shooter. Very narrowed corridor shooter.

Youngblood was a step forward.

1) Savings - you can't save yourself at every step like in New Colossus.
    They throwing you into big location and you can't save yourself there.
    You have to reach given point.
    With all your loot, progress, open safes.....you can die just in two steps from that point.

"That's a pity!" - but this is a game.

Such things add adrenaline and excitement in games.

May be in Far Cry would be better to save the game also in some special places? Liberated ouposts, for example.
    Something like it was in Dying Light.

2) Game doesn't stop when you call menu.
    You have to sneak into some quite place, hole up there and call menu.
    Also add excitement.

3) Mistake.
    They added mini-map.
    Mini-map is a spoiler - I see where enemies and how they're approaching.
    There were no mini-map in New Colossus.

I think in the future Wolfenstein will be good open world RPG game.
    One more competitor to Far Cry.

By the way, Youngblood was done in the style of the eighties....
    One of Far Cry or DLC may be in the style of 90's, for example.
    Its music, movies...

But agree, Youngblood 80s music was good and especially trailer music....

So, healing, game saving, menu calling, mini-map are very important part of Far Cry.
    It may turn into plus or minus for the game.

It needs attention.

@HorTyS

The word immersion is used, because it's a videogame. Neither Crysis1, FC1& 2 use skill trees and were great successes all the same. The mobilty you have in Crysis, partly from the Q/E control over how you lean out from behind cover(Wolfenstein New Order almost did this perfectly) trumps every FC game. Imagine if everything the skill trees unlock was available directly for FC6(aside from weapon holsters and ammo bags) and that the developers focused on the true core of gameplay mechanics(how you move, how in control you are of that movement, the enemy Ai etc etc) instead. Clearly the skill trees, although well implemented for what they are(aside from the weapon challenges), work as a filler for something that could mirror the >player's< own skill development instead.

We disagree in a very good way though, fair points up there.

@GameGuru201

So far healing between companions and protagonist seems rather generous allready. But sometimes your body ends up in a fire or on a rock formation where laughably companions dare not tread(quite awesome Ai and pathfinding overall though). A healing dart in these situations would certainly bridge it if designers don't come up with new NPC behavior and movement patterns.. As for making healing a sort of mini-game, it's allso interesting. During heat of battle the time to help fallen companions is mostly slim. But if they die(since skill trees will likely return) a Field Surgent perk might let you revive them in a little mini-game after combat. FC5's 10 minute resurrection delay could return as 30 minutes to make this perk more meaningful(ACCUIRED NOT WITH WEAPON CHALLENGES<3).

Allso, buff syringes might return and perhaps be available to the companions so you can help them before they fall(to some suitable responses that further express their character). This rather powerful option should be met with either tougher or more numerous enemies than in previous FarCrys. Allso it likely leads to some challenges for the developers, in how the companions are to reflect these buff effects in behavior and animations. But it could be cool.

As for your game references, New Order is the only ~new~ Wolfenstein I've played.

HorTyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Borkaman87 Go to original post
    @HorTyS

The word immersion is used, because it's a videogame. Neither Crysis1, FC1& 2 use skill trees and were great successes all the same. The mobilty you have in Crysis, partly from the Q/E control over how you lean out from behind cover(Wolfenstein New Order almost did this perfectly) trumps every FC game. Imagine if everything the skill trees unlock was available directly for FC6(aside from weapon holsters and ammo bags) and that the developers focused on the true core of gameplay mechanics(how you move, how in control you are of that movement, the enemy Ai etc etc) instead. Clearly the skill trees, although well implemented for what they are(aside from the weapon challenges), work as a filler for something that could mirror the >player's< own skill development instead.

We disagree in a very good way though, fair points up there.
    I'm all for improving other aspects of the game, like movement and AI, I do not however like the idea of said improvements coming at the cost of a skill system. As I said before, adding the skill trees to the game has been what I believe to be one of the best additions to the franchise. I find that most games are more enjoyable when you feel like the character you're inhabiting has become more capable over the course of the game, something that was not the case in FC1 or 2. From a narrative standpoint it made sense for there not to be skill progression in those games. Jack Carver and the Mercenary in those games were already established as combat veterans who would have already had the skills necessary to be competent in their respective roles.

Jason Brody, Ajay, Takkar and all the other protagonists in the games with skill trees start out as less experienced in terms of combat and enemy engagement. It makes more sense for these protagonists to acquire new abilities given the experiences they go through. Also I imagine it's likely a lot harder to balance a game where the player is capable of everything at the beginning of the game as they are at the end. Very few modern games do not have some sort of skill acquisition system, and they're better for it imo, diminished motivation to continue when there is less to work towards other than completing the story.

To stick a healing flying dart into our wounded body, we or our partners should get into the line of fire of the dart ( be in its flying line).
    This should also be taken into account.

Originally Posted by Far_Cry_Expert Go to original post
    But most important of all: The Italian dubbing.
    Let's hope english dubbing will be good first!

Yes, dubbing is important.

The tone of the voice, intonation must match.

How it was said.....Sarcasm? Threat?
    Actor should know story itself, understand given situation.

Actor shouldn't read the text off paper, seeing it first time!
    Without understanding the story and character.

Dubbing should be made by professional actors!
    Not by public persons, singers or bloggers like Cyberpunk2077 did.

Language of the game characters is very important.
    Not only what they say but how they say.
    What language they use.

Accent, slang, or trying to be polite, classic language....

Far_ Cry_ Expert, I think one day Far Cry can be in Italy as well.

There is everything for the game: mountains, forests, rivers, seas.
    Architecture, villages, cities, history.
    Style and colors.

Place is musical. Like Cuba.

It can be something historic, fighting against fascism and blackshirts, for instance.
    As italian partisans.
    Before and during WW2. (without big WW2 battles)

It can be shown how fascism was born. (Rather actual)
    How blackshirts death-squads start terrorizing people.

Or it can be some modern time fiction.

I can easily imagine Far Cry in Italy.

Such scene appears before eyes......

Balcony, sea.....

We're coming to finish the villain.

He's listening this kind of music....Saying something like -"I was waiting for you....."

Again, the spawn and despawn system for NPCs, events, animals, bodies, vehicles etc etc needs to be fixed- since FC3? I just approached that tiny bay north of Bean's home in FCND, where two enemies were salvaging some crates. A hostile boat was leaving the bay on my left and I just ran ten meters downstream to get that line of fire. 3/5 kills with the saw launcher. Then I turned back for the other two enemies a mere rock throw away. Gone, replaced by a skunk

Again, the spawn and despawn system for NPCs, events, animals, bodies, vehicles etc etc needs to be fixed- since FC3?

I've noticed such thing......

On a certain field certain animals graze.
    I kill all the animals.
    Then I go to the main menu.
    Then back to the game.
    And....

On that field all those animals are grazing again.

I can kill them again and again....making more and more money.

It can be used as cheating!

If we kill animals in certain place - they shouldn't be there anymore.
    The same with people.

1) It can be used as cheating.
    2) We should see the result of our work.

As for your game references, New Order is the only ~new~ Wolfenstein I've played.

I think sometimes we and developers should play (or replay) old games.

They show where the game industry is moving.
    Playing old games - is like study history.

The better you know history the easier for you to understand and navigate through the events.

Moreover, there were many interesting ideas in old games.
    Ideas that were difficult or poorly implemented at that period of time, due to technical capabilities.

The same with indie games.
    There are many good indie games with good ideas but with lack of implementation opportunities.

As for Wolfenstein.....

New Blood, Old Blood, Colossus are rather similar. Youngblood is slightly different with innovations.
    But there was a "strange" Wolfenstein 2009.

The game were we could move between two worlds.

Possibility of shifting between two worlds is always interesting.
    From our world to subtle world shifting or from Michael world to Franklin world shifting, in GTA5.

So, why not to shift between the worlds in one of the future Far Cry?!

I didn't like how it was realized in Medium, splitting the screen in two parts.
    It is good for movies, may be.
    But definitely not for a game.

In Wolfenstein 2009 it was realized rather good. (For that time)

It would be good for Far Cry to shift between two worlds - as shifting between two times.
    Modern time and past time.
    Our time and time of 100 - 70 years ago.

May be as grandfarther memory and his world, or something else.

The same map, the same place - but in two times.

Many buildings and locations are the same. But changed a bit.
    Adds, signs, roads....people's clothing, vehicles.

Ancient times, for example, or middle ages are not fit for that purpose.
    Because two much changings.
    But time of 100 - 70 years ago is quite suitable.

It should be also a country that fit the purpose!

I think Italy fits.

Italy during 20-30-40s.
    Hitler was a "schoolboy" when Mussolini came to power and formulated the basis of fascism.
    Like its farther.

But the main villain shouldn't be Mussolini.
    It should be some financial magnate.
    People who led fascists to power, to realize their interests.

Mussolini was only a consequense, not a cause.

To switch between times would be exciting.
    To see how fascism changes clothes but remains the same inside.

We could move back in time by looking at old found photos, for instance.

I think Italy fits for such time shifting 100%.
    History, nature, landscapes....everything fits.

Please add a save game feature, here's why

In Far Cry you usually get 2-3 choices at the very end. You make a choice, you see what happens. You want to make another choice? Too bad, you have to go back and play 20-40 hours just to try that one different way of ending.

Far Cry games may be open world but they are mostly being linear, you can't play a new way very different, being good or evil or go all stealth etc., nothing new will unlock, it's going to be close to the same game. Even just a few save game slots, in addition to the autosave, would enhance the experience greatly. Sometimes I just want to replay a mission again. Can't do it, must start over and play those 20-30-40 hours just to get to that one mission I'd like to play differently.

Thank you.