other element about far cry is mostly do not play soldiers or character experience with combat far cry 2 you played mercenary but far cry 3 onward we mostly play character who is not combat trained and i like this aspect it make game more like character become a warrior rather than be one from start

Concerning the "non warrior" aspect of the main character, I guess it was only truly a thing in FC3. In 2 you were a mercenary, in 4 Ajay did serve in the army, in Primal Takkar was an experienced hunter, in 5 the rookie had at least a combat training and in New Dawn the captain was an accomplished survivor. Yet I understand totally your point of view and agree with you.

HorTyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Well the rookie in FC5 was a newly hired deputy in a backcountry county in rural MT, he'd have had to have some rudimentary gun training to get the job, (and people who live there already would know just generally how to handle firearms anyway) but there wouldn't necessarily be a prerequisite of any sort of combat experience for that position. I knew multiple cops in areas like that who had never had to draw their weapons after years on the force. Also being that the character was a blank slate, you could basically fill in your own backstory so whether the character had any sort of prior experience is up tot he player. I don't remember anything about Ajay being in the army though, but I don't read bios or journal entries usually either, hahaha However it should be said that having been in the army doesn't necessarily mean you've seen combat either...

KrayZee_'s Avatar Senior Member
    The only backstory for Ajay is that he was involved in a robbery as a teenager. A store clerk was shot and then Ajay turns himself in to the police. He told the police who shot the store clerk in exchange for no prison time.

HorTyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by KrayZee_ Go to original post
    The only backstory for Ajay is that he was involved in a robbery as a teenager. A store clerk was shot and then Ajay turns himself in to the police. He told the police who shot the store clerk in exchange for no prison time.
    Yeah, I knew there was some sort of backstory about him having been involved in some low level crime, didn't recall anything about a military history...

KrayZee_'s Avatar Senior Member
    He doesn't.

Originally Posted by WildCassowary Go to original post
    ....... you become the top predator.
    This is important issue. Should we be at the top of the food chain in the game? In real life, yes, better to be at the top of food chain. But in the game...???

In nature it is going this way - fish eats plankton, penguin eats fish, lepoard seal eats penguin, orca eats leopard seal....Every predator in this chain has predator above - controlling the number of lower predators. It allows nature to escape imbalance.....and, as a result, collapse in the long run. Well-constructed hierarchy. Yes, bloody and ruthless but wise for nature. Only this way nature could exist and only this way nature was able to give birth to humanity. To its intelligent part. To its brain and soul. Our body, instincts: agression, greed, lust, domination desire...all these instincts were given to us to survive. It's nature. It's our body. But human being is much more than only body! We're brains, heart and soul. ( Despite what people like Jacob Seed are thinking. There are many people with Jacob Seed ideology in the world. The higher you go up the social food chain - the closer "Jacob Seed ideology" to you.)

So speaking about food chain and game.....
    I think we always need "predator above" to controll Challenge in the game. Being at the top of food chain.....step by step kills challenge. No challenge - no game!
    How long you will enjoy your superiority?!

For example, figuratively speaking, if we have tank in the game...there must be "tank eater". Predator above. What could it be? Antitank weapons, mines, heavy artillery......
    We shouldn't drive tank blowing up enemies to the right and to the left all the time. For some period of time, yes, it will be fun. But not long!

"Predator above" - applies to any situation. Always should be "us-eater" in the game. Somebody or something that will "eat" us. Making our walkthrough more challenging and ,as a result, more interesting.
    We upgrade ourselves, we become stronger and more skillfull.....we enjoy our success. Now we can kill enemies easier. But this "easier" shouldn't last long. Otherwise game is losing its challenge. Without overcoming difficulties game is no game any more. You won't enjoy it long.

It can be expressed this way - SUFFERING (pain) + OVERCOMING (joy).

Too feel real joy and satisfaction in the game we should suffer first. Overcoming this suffering we feel joy. But satisfaction and joy can't be from the beginning! Satisfaction and joy needs suffering first.
    What makes us SUFFER in the game? It can be absence of something, lack of something. Health, strength, ammo, armo,vehicle, ....+ stronger enemy (predator above).
    Overcoming absence of something, lack of something, upgrading ourselves, rising to the same level with our enemies and uplevelling them - give us feeling of joy and satisfaction. That predator is not above any more - "Now I'm above! You suffer, m-f.!"

Feeling of satisfaction won't last long. We enjoyed it and now we need new portion of suffering. New "predator above". New absence or lack of something. So it goes through the whole game - suffering + satisfaction, then on new level - suffering + satisfaction, suffering + satisfaction.......and in the end SATISFACTION, JOY.

I m pretty sure I read somewhere that Ajay had a military past of some sort prior to the release of the game (I very been collecting all guides and art books for the series) but I may be very wrong about it. I remember thinking about it while playing the beginning of the game, and saying to myself "Hey, that is why he kills guys with more ease than Jason" (who discovered killing in the midst of its beginnings on Rook island). But I must have been wrong all the time if it is not the case.

For the rookie, i was thinking of gun training but also combat as he is the only one using its own hands to kill. Others use knifes and point objects while the rookie strangles, snaps necks and punches. But that s just my opinion when I first played the game.

The game itself works like predatory evolution (Red queen theory): you are weak, you survive by adapting to the surroundings. As the dangers grows you get more dangerous yourself etc. The usual difference of factions is made to get you adaptive towards threats that get more dangerous. Same for skills: melee skill killing the big dudes since the beginning is impossible. The game wants you to get stronger so difficult can challenge you even if you re late in game. Some for animals: initial areas don t have high level predators (bears, tigers etc).

I guess New Dawn was especially centered on this as enemies had levels based on their dangerosity. Logically a bear was higher level than a dog and a fully geared soldier was higher level than a club wielder. This vision of difficulty is used by many games and I think it doesn't fit that bad with Far Cry (not talking about the level thing of New Dawn). But that is just my point of view.

The thing is, we re never at the top of the food chain in the games. Primal was a good example as we could get killed extremely easily by beasts even late in game (I played on survival). But same for 4 and 5. I ended up being killed quite often by regular RPGs throwers, car raming me, rhinos or bisons... Even fully skilled and loaded with guns. Being a top predator doesn't mean you have no threats: it means your turned some of those into preys. In the end of a Far Cry, an enemy dog isn't a big deal. But it can still kill you. At such point you don t feel invincible, you feel safer. I do always play on hardest difficulties so even late in game I get killed by regular enemies all the time if I go gun blazing.

Btw, i just finished Far Cry 3 Classic again and one wish I hope for the next installment is that they bring back the XP meter, but in a way that keeps the player rewarded on the long term. FC5's system wasn't really rewarding but on the other hand, I ended up 3 Classic in a rush (no secondary missions, 26 outposts on 34, 15 relics, rushing from mission to mission) having earned all the possible XP with 11 story missions left on 38 (after meeting Sam). I did rely heavily on skill kills, meaning that killing a big dude this way is more rewarding that ending
    Some Wanted dead mission. I just hope they find the right balance and Primal might have had the solution (as skill points were for some tied to missions).

Of course every predator can kill you in the game! If you are doing nothing! ....a dog can bite you, chew you, until you die. If you are standing in the middle of the road... a car can hit you and kill. If you are doing nothing - bees can sting you to death. Every enemy can kill you - if you are doing nothing!

But we are not "doing nothing" in the game. We're armed. We're armed with hands, legs, weapons, vehicles... All these weapons changes ballance of forces. For the most part - to the worse. Less and less challenge. For example: What's the point of a dog as an enemy if I can easily run away from it?! It supposed to be some challenge in the game....but in reality it is not. It's more like annoying fly but not a challenge dog can be in real life.

It can be compared with planets habitable zone near the suns. Challenge has its habitable zone. Zone in which the game is interesting to play. It can be too less challenge - when the game loses its interest for the gamer, and it can be too much challenge (masochistic) when the game also loses its interest. Finding challenge habitable zone is important.

But this is general notion. Situation requires to be more specific. What affects challenge in the game? (Except enemies AI)

First thing that comes to mind - WEAPONS. Any advanced weapon in our hands can ruin challenge totally! We shouldn't have clear superiority over our enemy. If we have some advanced weapon - our enemy also must have it. Not immediately but a little later. ( We should enjoy our superiority also. For some time. Not long.)
    This is mistake of many games - they give us clear advantage over the enemy. It can be not only weapons but advantage in speed (vehicles), in skills, in armor ....and so on.
    Clear advantage over enemy ( in all aspects) - is ruinous.

Every weapon must have its pluses and minuses. Even exaggerated. For game's sake!
    Every weapon must have convinient enemy to fire against and , the most important, inconvinient enemy. Uncomfortable. For example, pistol against bees is rather inconvinient, but flamethrower is ok. Slow loading weapon against fast enemies is not ok. For every kind of weapons must be always uncomfortable enemy. It will make us think and choose. It will make us Bother about weapons. The more we Bother in the game about different things the better! The less we Bother in the game the worse. Game without bothering will be forgotten very fast.

In the game should be always "predator above". Someone stronger, faster, more agile, with more advanced weapon and vehicle, more numerous, more vile and sneaky.....Someone who will make us sweat, bother and overcome difficulties.

My vision is maybe blurred as I only play in very high difficulties but I can assure you that wolves pack and regular grunts kept hardening my progression even when I was fully geared. How many times have I been killed in 4 by royal army soldiers kicking me on the ground and shooting at me, or rhinos double hitting me while I was on the ground. ..

An example comes back to my mind in New Dawn, hardest difficulty setting, canyon mission level 3 (chopper missions) where I was severely hit by enemy snipers rushing after me. Near the chopper landing zone was a pack of 3 dogs. I didn't even care about these since I used to kill them very quickly at my level. I kept shooting the guys and got hit by a rocket. I hid behind a caravan and then BAM! Before I could heal, 2 dogs were jumping on me and killed me. It was not one of those mossy and tanky buffaloes: just LV1 dogs.

After that is just my point of view. I like challenging games so you re right by telling that on regular difficulty, those canines may have been just a nuisance. But I still like the fact that in 3,4 and especially Primal, dingoes, dholes and wolves kept me on my toes. As we say in my country "That is because you keep your eyes on the crocodile while crossing the river that you don t see the leopard waiting for you on the shore". ^^