[AC3 R] Any planned performance improvements?

I have not bought the game yet, but first reviews and frame rate tests on YouTube seem to put the game in the same performance ballpark as the PS3 version back in the day, with 25-28fps in town and even lower frame rates during combat.

While the PS3 version was certainly playable, I was hoping for a slightly more stable performance for the re-release. Are there any plans to further optimize the game?

Originally Posted by Bomli81 Go to original post
    I have not bought the game yet, but first reviews and frame rate tests on YouTube seem to put the game in the same performance ballpark as the PS3 version back in the day, with 25-28fps in town and even lower frame rates during combat.

While the PS3 version was certainly playable, I was hoping for a slightly more stable performance for the re-release. Are there any plans to further optimize the game?
    I think the issue is that this game is CPU bound and the Switch is running on a 1GHz mobile CPU.

That was my guess as well, CPU speed was even a problem on PC with the early AC games back in the day.

But there is always something that can be done, either by blatantly reducing details or how often certain things are calculated, or by finding ways to calculate the same result in a way that works better on the Switch's hardware architecture.

Going by your argument, AC Liberation should run faster than it does, because it was originally running on a 4-core 333MHz ARM Cortex-A9 on PS Vita. Usually at around 15fps, but the Switch's Cortex-A57 at 1.02GHz should be more than double as fast as the Vita's CPU to make up for the missing frames.

My point is, with enough effort it should be possible to do changes to improve performance, the question is if Ubisoft is willing to invest money into improving a relatively low-priority release.

AC Liberation made concessions to the gameplay systems to accomodate the Vita. The towns are smaller and less wide, there are less things being stimulated etc.

True, and Liberation does run at slightly higher frame rates even in the remastered version. But it still dips under 30fps, which is a shame considering the gulf in hardware specs between Vita and Switch. I assume they just ported the same version they released on the other consoles instead of reapplying a few of the optimizations they had in place on Vita to keep the frame rate stable.

The other issue with Liberation appears to be an unlocked frame rate, so you never get stable performance. It might be up to individual taste, but I prefer stable 30fps over unlocked 25-35fps.

(Source: YouTube video called "Switch Frame Rate test: Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered", last 3 minutes shows Liberation)

Ubi-Swaggins's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey folks,

While I cannot say what fixes may come and when, as that information is not something we have access to. That being said, the team are still investigating these issues.