Is my CPU enough?

Hello!
    I want to upgrade my GPU (replace HD 5770 with rx 470), but I have i5-750. My question is: Can I play with i5-750 with medium-high setting on 1080p?

Morfanos's Avatar Senior Member
    That's an old quad core(4 physical cores), so in theory, it should work but I'm not sure it's a good idea as it still is below the minimum requirement in term of clock rate. I have an overclocked i5 3570K(2 generation after your CPU) and it's being pushed to 100% usage when I play Siege despite the fact that I'm running it at a high resolution(2560x1440) where normally, my GPU should be doing all the work, not my CPU.

If you can wait a few weeks, they'll soon release the new season and when ever they do, there's usually a free weekend. I would wait for that to test the game and see how it runs at low. Even if you're using an old 5770, I suspect that the CPU will still be the limiting factor.

I have r6s, but I have unstable 30 fps with current setup. I changed the resolution to the lowest and I had 45-65 fps so I wonder if my CPU is enough,

If you lowered the resolution and still only get 45-65, you probably won't get anything faster with a better card as the CPU is probably holding it back. The lower the resolution, the more the bottleneck shift to the CPU and leave the GPU idling. To give you an idea of what I mean, I have a GTX 1080 with a i5 3570K and I get the same frame rate if I play at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 because with my setup, the limiting factor is my CPU, not my GPU. Even if I were to buy a 2000$ video card, at 1920x1080, I still wouldn't get more much more frames, my CPU is just too old. Prior to upgrade my monitor, I was still using an old 22" 1680x1050 and with the same setup I listed above, my fps was pretty much still the same, despite using a much lower resolution.

To be clear, I mean, that 45-65 is probably the maximum you'll ever be able to get out of that old CPU, what ever the card you install in there. If that's enough for you and you want to be able to use that higher resolution or get maybe medium setting, than it's not a terrible idea, depending on how much you're paying for that card.

Any chance you could borrow a better video card from a friend for just a few hours? Doesn't really matter which card, as long as it's better than your current one. It's simply to give you an idea of what to expect.

Pulu.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Real players doesent play with med-high settings, its low or go home

Joke aside, i had i5-4460 and 750gtx when i bought the game and i did get just a bout 60fps with 720p resolution. Then i bought 1060gtx 6gb and i did get about 120fps with 1080p, so siege is cpu heavy buy gpu matters and i still play low settings cos im sweaty tryhard.

Bad news for me, so I have to abandon my plan to upgrade my PC and stop playing R6S for a while.

That depends on the frame rate you are looking for. If the 45-65 you get in low mode is ok to you then a new card will likely help. If you want stable at 60 or above you will probably not see that with a new video card based on your current findings.
    Easy fix is get an Xbox One X and then you know it will run correctly. That is probably less than upgrading your video card if you get in on a sale.

I want to have 60 fps. Of course if I have about 55 I won't be crying but I can't stand big drops like 10-15 fps. Also I wonder can I be competitive with 45 fps.

EDIT
    I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O0RpxLuIzc Can this be fake?

Originally Posted by pawcioco Go to original post
    I want to have 60 fps. Of course if I have about 55 I won't be crying but I can't stand big drops like 10-15 fps. Also I wonder can I be competitive with 45 fps.

EDIT
    I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O0RpxLuIzc Can this be fake?
    No it doesn't seems fake. It's also using a 1050Ti which is slower than the RX 470 you were planing to buy but there's 2 very important things you need to notice with this video:

1-It's rendered at a low resolution of 1360x764(you can see it when he moves his cursor above the TAA setting, to the right, you'll probably need to slowdown the video). It's a far cry from the 1920x1080 you were aiming for(1 megapixel vs 2 megapixel).

2-A lot of people think the average FPS is all that matter when there's also one other important value, the minimum FPS and how often you'll get there. As you can clearly see in this video, the CPU is struggling and the game is full of micro stutter, which cause the framerate to drop all the time to the low 10 for fractions of a second, not enough to show on the FPS counter but enough to be visually noticeable. In a game like Siege where every frames count, this is something you want to avoid as much as possible.

Conclusion? It seems you can probably get an average in the 70 with that CPU but it won't be a smooth experience. If it's your only option and what you see in that video doesn't bother you, go for it!