A question about "Soft Reset" feature in next season

The question is: is this gonna be adjusted to our highest rank of previous season or the last rank we had? For example me, my highest rank this season was Plat 3, but now I'm gold 1, am I going to be matched against plats or golds?

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey mate! Welcome to the forums!

Seeing that you were below the 3500 'lock down' threshold, I would imagine your placement matches will be theoretically against mid golds.

Morfanos's Avatar Senior Member
    It's not going to use your highest ranking, but the one you have when the season ends. Gold 1 is still above that 2500 mark so I suspect you'll be the equivalent of a gold 2-3 when you start the season(the hidden rating you will get).

monkey89brains's Avatar Banned
    Woah, what is this? I've been out of the loop, but sounds like another reason for people to derank themselves after they have hit their desired charm, no?
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by monkey89brains Go to original post
    Woah, what is this? I've been out of the loop, but sounds like another reason for people to derank themselves after they have hit their desired charm, no?
    Why? To make it even more difficult for them to climb back up after? If you only play for the charms, then the best thing to do is go stop playing as soon as you hit the rank you wanted so it will be faster to do so again next season. Deranking only makes it harder.

monkey89brains's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by Morfanos Go to original post
    Why? To make it even more difficult for them to climb back up after? If you only play for the charms, then the best thing to do is go stop playing as soon as you hit the rank you wanted so it will be faster to do so again next season. Deranking only makes it harder.
    Sorry Morfanos, I phrased my question poorly, I was hoping for a breakdown on this soft reset system. I have not seen any information on it.

From an uninformed position I am wondering why I would want to do my placements at a gold or plat rank and probably lose a few and end up lower than where I started, when I (I wouldn't derank myself I am using a hypothetical I) could derank to bronze and win them all guaranteeing at least gold rank?

Or are the upper and lower bounds capped by your final placement in the previous season?

N3mB0t's Avatar Senior Member
    this also left me wondering.... this season i didnt touched rank for the first time , still considering doing it before the season ends just to add the charm to the collection , but...

what if i dont play ranked for 2 or 3 seasons ? with this soft MMR reset that means i will have to dig out of copper when i decide to play it?

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Morfanos Go to original post
    It's not going to use your highest ranking, but the one you have when the season ends.
    Are you sure?..do you have a source for that?

It wouldn't make sense if they used the end rank..or even an average rank. I would have thought it used your 'charm' rank.

Originally Posted by monkey89brains Go to original post
    Sorry Morfanos, I phrased my question poorly, I was hoping for a breakdown on this soft reset system. I have not seen any information on it.

From an uninformed position I am wondering why I would want to do my placements at a gold or plat rank and probably lose a few and end up lower than where I started, when I (I wouldn't derank myself I am using a hypothetical I) could derank to bronze and win them all guaranteeing at least gold rank?

Or are the upper and lower bounds capped by your final placement in the previous season?
    I'll try to explain the new system to the best of my capability.

With the old system, what ever your MMR value(your rank), when a new season began, you would be reset to 2500, which is gold 4 if I'm not mistaken.

With that system, someone was able to get to diamond for that shiny charm ... ... then lose on purpose to copper to ruins everyone games at the lower level while boosting their own stats. When a new season would begin, they would be set back again to 2500.

Or a legit diamond player, who would stay all the time at diamond, would also go back down to 2500 after the reset, forcing them to play against weaker opponent until they got back up where they belong.

With the new system, they will look at your MMR value than average it out with 2500. The system will be limited from 1500(so anything lower will be 1500) to 3500(anything higher will be 3500). I believe 1500 is something like copper 2 and 3500 is mid platinum 3.

Lets take the 3500 extreme. A player that finishes with plat 3 will see this happens to his MMR value at the start of the new season; (3500+2500)/2= 3000 which is somewhere between gold 2 and 1 if I'm not mistaken. This means that this plat 3 player will be able to reach his former level faster.

With the other 1500 extreme, a copper 2, we get; (1500+2500)/2=2000 which is somewhere in the range of bronze 2.

But just like with the old system, this won't be your official rank, you will still need to do your 10 placement matches. Just as before, with the 2500 reset, it didn't mean you were guaranteed a gold rank, with the new system, you won't be guaranteed X rank, but you'll start closer to what you were supposed to be.

With the new system, if I use again the example of the diamond player who only want to get the diamond charm then drop to copper to "rekt" others, he's going to have to work a hell of a lot more to get that diamond charm now because the next season, he'll start at "bronze 2", not "gold 4" and as we know, the more we play, the less points we get, making it less likely for said player that he will be able to reach his precious diamond.

At the same time, the legit diamond will be starting fresh at plat 3, making it a lot faster for him to get back where he belongs.

Not only this system will help players get to their proper rank faster, it will also make the placement match more fair because it will make it impossible for a former copper to face a former diamond(since they were both reset to 2500) as they'll now start those placement match at 2000 and 3000 respectively.

If you ask me, this will make the placements match period a lot less frustrating for everyone.

I hope this help you understand the new system.

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    Are you sure?..do you have a source for that?

It wouldn't make sense if they used the end rank..or even an average rank. I would have thought it used your 'charm' rank.
    We are adjusting how MMR is managed when a new Season of Ranked is released in order to improve the matchmaking experience at the beginning of a Season. In the past, we reset all players to a 2500 MMR at the beginning of the Season. Moving forward, we will reset MMR between the “middle” (2500 MMR) and your rank from the previous Season, with extremes above 3500 and below 1500 clamped to those respective values. This will also apply to placement matches.
    This is taken directly from the new season page.

This is not an average of your overall rank, nor is it the best rank you achieved nor the worst one, it simply is what you had when the season ended.

It doesn't make any more sense to take the "best" rank you achieved than it does taking the "worst" you ever had because those are simply a "snapshots" of your best or worst and isn't at all representative of your real skill.

Ranks were never meant to be a "reward", it's just a number that gives your skill level and match you against similarly skilled players. The charm on the other hand is a reward, which is why they probably go with the highest you were able to achieve and not just your normal rank.