JtD's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure most of us had a few nice moments with IL-2, FB and now 1946. Not necessarily down to personal skill and great personal records, maybe just coincidence and fun. Why don't you share?

Quite a while ago I was flying a P-47D-22 and was returning from a ground attack mission. At the same time someone in the opposing team in a Fw 190A-6 had done his duty and was also rtb. We happened to cross our paths on the way back. We found each other co alt at high speeds, heading more or less towards each other. We both didn't want to turn away from the enemy and invite him to our rear quarter, so we just made minor corrections and went in head on. Brute force met brute force. Closing speeds were high and the entire fight didn't last more than 0.5 seconds. We let lose at each other and scored hits immediately, but our tough planes took them without falling apart. When we had passed each other, none of us even thought about turning around, both happy to survive the situation. Our planes poured smoke, had holes in the wings at mine at least had suffered a few additional hits. We both made it back to base which felt like a victory to both of us.

What I liked about this moment was not only the intensity of the fight, but the fact that both of us focused on survival and thus immediately perceived that draw as a personal victory.

if your focus is on survival, i'd advise you never to go head to head against a focke wulf

Nice story JtD!

It's been some time since I shifted my priorities from scoring kills to:

1st surviving the mission

2nd accomplishing the assigned task.

Unfortunately not many people think that way and it's hard at times to find people that share the same thoughts on priorities (even within the squad).

msalama's Avatar Senior Member
    Brems -

Exact same priorities here nowadays!

AKA_TAGERT's Avatar Banned
    Best time I had playing IL2 was a few weekends back.. I was flying this loaded P38.. Took out all the AAA at this base and was RTB when my girl friend step out of the bath room shower with nothing but a towel wrapped around here head. She said "How is your joystick working?" At which point I did a ctrl-alt-del shut the PC off.

Your case would be an example for "nice moments w/o il-2"

Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
    Best time I had playing IL2 was a few weekends back.. I was flying this loaded P38.. Took out all the AAA at this base and was RTB when my girl friend step out of the bath room shower with nothing but a towel wrapped around here head. She said "How is your joystick working?" At which point I did a ctrl-alt-del shut the PC off.
    I would like to point out at this time that statements like the above could be percieved as giving vital info to the enemy and (as my girlfriend often reads over my shoulder) could result in players being shot down, unexplained disconnects and general de-population of the server.

AKA_TAGERT, very nice!

A stand out moment for me was some time ago. I was flying a bf 109E, and attacking a flight of Russian c37 and Mig 2's. I attacked the c37 from their 6 o'clock high, given the fact that they only had 1 gun I thought I was in for an easy kill. I nosed down and put on full power, when I was still 700mts out the c37 opend up. By chance its first burst hit my engine and the 109 started somking with oil all over the cockpit! (What are the chances?) I turned away to look for a place to land.

Finding a nice looking area I started my final. It was then I saw them, two migs closing fast. There was no way I could get out of this one, I had gear down and almost full full flaps, I was commited. I decided I still try for the landing and hope that even if they did hit me hard I'd be close enough to the ground to be OK.

I had just started to flare and the first tracers whipped past the cockpit. Then BOOM! A mig struck the ground just ahead of me the other roared over head left wing gone and did a lazy roll into the ground. They had hit each other!!
    I was that destracted I broke my landing gear, but I walked a happy man, if a captive of the USSR!

Originally posted by EctoGamma:
    I was that destracted I broke my landing gear, but I walked a happy man, if a captive of the USSR!
    Soviet propaganda later reported that this BF-109E was equipped with rear firing MG's.

a moment I often remember happened on Zeke vs Wildcat ...I was flying a P-47 high up and someone called in teamspeak and said he had a bandit on his tail and needed assistance... I noticed they were way down below me and behind heading in the same direction I was going... I did a split S, waited for my team mate to pass under my nose then opened up on the bandit, I scored hits but before he exploded we collided lmao...

I immediately apologized for the accidental ramming and we had a laugh about it... I don't think he even saw me...

but I saved my team mate, eventhoug the result was the same.. a plane lost for our team lol.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►