Hello

Has anybody used the Saitek X65 joystick ?, and if so what are your thoughts on the stick.

I'm using the original X52 at the moment, but the LED lights are starting to fail on it and i've always found the stick to be two light and soft and insensitive around the center...

The X65 carries a high price tag and not sure if it's really worth paying that amount of money or maybe i should just go for a cheaper stick.

What HOTAS stick would you guys recomend ?, i'd like one that has a progressive feel and good around the centre for aiming.

However the X65 with it's touch control would be interesting.

Regards...

I you want a iron stick with hall sensors.
    Then wait for summer 2010.
    The thrustmaster warthog stick will be released (A-10 replica stick and dual throttle)

If you want a stick that will last you 10+ years without failing then get the CH fighter stick and CH throttle.
    Its very precise and good in the center for aiming.
    Only negative side is that the stick and the throttle is very light (depends on your preference if you find this a negative thing)

Dont buy thrustmaster cougar. Needs mods, unmodded it wil go bad quickly.
    Mods cost more then the new upcoming warhthog stick so....

Logitech G940 has force feedback.
    Reviewers say its good now..but will it last long? Someguy already reported his stick already feels different after few weeks of use.

Saitek X68f... no real motion in the stick.
    It works like a real F16 stick would? It sens pressure and then sends a signal etc...
    A wanna be ww2 flight sim stick needs motion in my opinion.
    So for me it would be a no go.

Thanks for your reply Black_Ops7.

My X52 stick still works ok, even through i'm losing the LED's one by one and so i'm going to take your advice and just wait and see what other people think of the Warthog stick.

It would feel a bit strange using a joystick that had no movement (X68f), but the X52 for me always felt to light however i'm sure other people may disagree...

Anyway thanks again for your reply and i'll just wait and see what this new warthog stick has in store...

Regards....

M2morris's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Black_Ops7:

If you want a stick that will last you 10+ years without failing then get the CH fighter stick and CH throttle.
    Its very precise and good in the center for aiming.

Those CH Sticks need rudder pedals or you will not have rudder control.

K_Freddie's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Black_Ops7:
    If it does not have 'hall' sensors on the axis/rudders, it will not last more than a year (6 months if you're lucky) - otherwise you're not 'flying'

Originally posted by K_Freddie:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black_Ops7:
    If it does not have 'hall' sensors on the axis/rudders, it will not last more than a year (6 months if you're lucky) - otherwise you're not 'flying'
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My CH Stick is 5 years old, my CH pedals are probably 8 years old. I replaced a pot for one of the toe brakes on the rudder pedals. Other than that, they have been flawless.

I see you fly P51

TheGrunch's Avatar Senior Member
    The pots that CH use are more expensive, better quality ones than those used by most joystick manufacturers, Freddie.

Pots .. none the less - every component has a 'lifetime', some more than others.

TheGrunch's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, true, but when you compare the quality levels of commercial potentiometers you can see quite a wide range... These vs. these, for example. The latter are what you're likely to find in a cheap commercial joystick.
    What's cheaper, buying a crappy new stick like the Thrustmaster T1600M every few months or buying some expensive new potentiometers for a CH every few years?
    Obviously the best case scenario is a good stick with Hall-effect sensors, but there aren't many of those around that are both a) reasonably priced and b) problem-free (e.g. the X52's unusual magnet mounting that leads to transitional flats and its dodgy software).
    Anyway, it's not like I follow my own advice, I'm planning to either get the G940 and hope the software improves or do some DIY flightstick-surgery.