1. #1541
    Originally Posted by secretzrus Go to original post
    Hey, remember when some of us protested the always-online requirement and the people defending Breakpoint claimed it was necessary for quick patches to keep the game running smooth? Wonder how that idea's working out for them?
    It depends, if you are one of the chosen ones given the final product, which has no bugs or glitches, then you're A-Ok.

    Originally Posted by O_Stryker Go to original post
    So what's the word with the game going offline.
    That repugnant and repulsive word has been changed for "The other Top result" for cop-out purposes and reasons for Ubisoft to Backpedal if need be.
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  2. #1542
    It seems to me to be okay offline for solo play, which is what I currently do. Would be nice to have that option for whatever reason. Having the option to go online for team play would be nice as well (which is the case currently). Either way seems fine to me, but as where I live on an island, the online connection here isn't always decent. So having the option for both would be nice.

    I'm able to play some games from the Origin app and the Steam app "offline" if I choose. This is a nice option if my internet is down. This game is a no go if I lose my connection. I don't know if you can play any game from UPLAY without internet.
    Share this post

  3. #1543
    MikeWeeks's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    3,137
    Originally Posted by Fuzzydo02 Go to original post
    ... I don't know if you can play any game from UPLAY without internet.
    If the game is not designed to be always on-line, as Breakpoint and the two Divisions are for example, yes you can.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  4. #1544
    Originally Posted by AI BLUEFOX Go to original post
    We would still have had the game breaking patch in November and we would still have had the delay in the December patch. Whilst I make no excuses for the state of the game at launch or the introduction of that bug, we had similar issues with patches breaking things in Wildlands which was off-line. Not to the extent that Breakpoint has been effected, but online only is not the cause of that.

    The snow region bug was much quicker to analyse, assess and get worked on precisely because the game is online and player data was available without a crash report needing to be sent. I don't think there is a valid reason, I'm not aware of one, why the fix wasn't released as a separate patch in December, as it is PC only, but that doesn't change the simple fact that it was quicker to prepare the fix.

    There is a good case for an off line mode and benefits for a lot of players if it was available, but better patch fixing isn't one of those benefits.
    Eh...players could probably roll back to an un****** version if they didn't have to sync up with the ruined mandatory update.

    Edit: It also seems that the players haven't benefited from the supposed improved patching ability provided by the online requirement. If they have truly fixed or patched it, it hasn't been given to the players that are required to be online to supposedly receive this 'superior service.'
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  5. #1545
    Originally Posted by AI BLUEFOX Go to original post
    We would still have had the game breaking patch in November and we would still have had the delay in the December patch. Whilst I make no excuses for the state of the game at launch or the introduction of that bug, we had similar issues with patches breaking things in Wildlands which was off-line. Not to the extent that Breakpoint has been effected, but online only is not the cause of that.

    The snow region bug was much quicker to analyse, assess and get worked on precisely because the game is online and player data was available without a crash report needing to be sent. I don't think there is a valid reason, I'm not aware of one, why the fix wasn't released as a separate patch in December, as it is PC only, but that doesn't change the simple fact that it was quicker to prepare the fix.

    There is a good case for an off line mode and benefits for a lot of players if it was available, but better patch fixing isn't one of those benefits.
    Oh, yeah...right, you were one of those saying that being online would allow for bugs to be patched quicker and more efficiently with the game being online constantly.

    I wasn't alluding to the idea that if the game had an offline mode it would allow for better patching...my contention is that if it had an offline mode, more people could play the game in some form instead of the many that keep trying to log on only to get some random error. Furthermore, another of the benefits of having an offline option is that one could opt to not allow automatic updating, thereby having the chance to avoid game-breaking bugs brought on by patches attempting to fix something that not everybody is dealing with. I saved my sanity with many a game by turning off auto-update and letting others be guinea pigs.

    The myth that an always-online requirement would benefit the players in the form of quick and plentiful patching to keep the game running smooth has been debunked, as evidenced by the multitude of topics complaining about bugs that have yet to be acknowledged much less fixed. Any of the cynical souls that figured the real honest reasons for the requirement for an internet connection was either a ridiculously heavy-handed approach of defending against piracy, a way to entice people to spend real money on things in the game or a combination of both were right on the money.

    Originally Posted by Kangamangus556 Go to original post
    Eh...players could probably roll back to an un****** version if they didn't have to sync up with the ruined mandatory update.
    There's that as well.
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  6. #1546
    Here are some good books that come to mind:

    Sleeping with the enemy.

    A spy in our midst.

    There is a traitor among us.

    Pontius Pilate.

    A wolf in sheep's clothing.

    Worth a read.
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  7. #1547
    AI BLUEFOX's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pacific
    Posts
    5,171
    Originally Posted by FCacGRdvWD Go to original post
    Here are some good books that come to mind:

    Sleeping with the enemy.

    A spy in our midst.

    There is a traitor among us.

    Pontius Pilate.

    A wolf in sheep's clothing.

    Worth a read.
    Still at it with the trolling. Can't help yourself, can you?
    Share this post

  8. #1548
    Slarlac249's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,520
    i binged jack ryan season 2 recently, damn good tv.

    i also found this on yotube, posted back in 2012.



    worth watching to pass some time, even has a robot drone...like it predicted breakpoint all those years ago lol
    Share this post

  9. #1549
    AI BLUEFOX's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pacific
    Posts
    5,171
    Originally Posted by secretzrus Go to original post
    Oh, yeah...right, you were one of those saying that being online would allow for bugs to be patched quicker and more efficiently with the game being online constantly.

    I wasn't alluding to the idea that if the game had an offline mode it would allow for better patching...my contention is that if it had an offline mode, more people could play the game in some form instead of the many that keep trying to log on only to get some random error. Furthermore, another of the benefits of having an offline option is that one could opt to not allow automatic updating, thereby having the chance to avoid game-breaking bugs brought on by patches attempting to fix something that not everybody is dealing with. I saved my sanity with many a game by turning off auto-update and letting others be guinea pigs.

    The myth that an always-online requirement would benefit the players in the form of quick and plentiful patching to keep the game running smooth has been debunked, as evidenced by the multitude of topics complaining about bugs that have yet to be acknowledged much less fixed. Any of the cynical souls that figured the real honest reasons for the requirement for an internet connection was either a ridiculously heavy-handed approach of defending against piracy, a way to entice people to spend real money on things in the game or a combination of both were right on the money.
    l.
    So where's your evidence to debunk the myth that more data about a bug doesn't make it easier to diagnose?

    As I said there is a good case for offline, but the quicker fixing of bugs isn't among them. Sure you can avoid all new content and improvement fixes, just in case, but that would exclude you from all of those benefits over time.
    Share this post

  10. #1550
    Originally Posted by AI BLUEFOX Go to original post
    So where's your evidence to debunk the myth that more data about a bug doesn't make it easier to diagnose?

    As I said there is a good case for offline, but the quicker fixing of bugs isn't among them. Sure you can avoid all new content and improvement fixes, just in case, but that would exclude you from all of those benefits over time.
    Remember when Dev's had to put out a quality game from the start? and they were tested and we didn't have to worry about them breaking it after the fact? and when they wanted to add conect the release an expansion pack - again tested and not worrying about it breaking after teh fact?
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post