Hey all!

I'm new to Il2, I bought 1946 not too long ago and it is pretty incredible. I've played a dozen missions of the original Il2 campaign, and am 6 missions into the wonderful Hurricane Season fan-made campaign.

Anyway, I was helping defend a convoy in the English channel against preying shooters, when I noticed a destroyer shooting at a parachute. Replaying later confirmed this, and indeed the unfortunate German pilot died. Watching further, I noticed that most parachuting pilots drowned in the channel, and only a few deployed a dingy.

After the hi-jinks of grinning with delight after getting a modest deflection shot in and seeing glycol and flames erupt from a JU-88 fuselage, it was strangely sobering to see the doomed craft and parachutists in the replays.

Anybody else suddenly pause for thought when playing? Anyway, I'm finding this a wonderful game. Hugely atmospheric and with a challenging but rewarding learning curve. Currently I'm on pretty easy settings, but do take-off's and landing's manually and have realistic damage and ammo/fuel on. It's just torque and so on that freaks me out at the moment. I think Oleg and his friends have made a beautiful and incredibly immersive game.

But cripes, I felt weirdly ashamed to see an allied destroyer gun a helpless pilot, and oddly upset to imagine drowning pilots.

I think I need to play something a bit more light-hearted, something more sweet and frivolous and less indicative of the horrors of war.

I know, I'll give that Silent Hunter 3 a go that my mate leant me. Should be a laugh.

(Oh noes! etc.)

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, definitely, a sub sim will get you away from the nastiness of war, indeed, truly, yep, shore nuff. Perhaps a sojourn on the Eastern Front?

The AA-gunner AI is just programmed to shoot at anything "ENEMY" within its sphere of operation. This happens to me all the time when I get shot down over or near enemy bases. Their AA-guns suddenly have a competition to see who can shoot me down first.

What's even more annoying is that once, during a Ki-84la campaign "Iwo Jima", I was shot down about a two hundred meters away from the island by a Corsair which surprised the hell out of me as I was cruising back to land. Luckily I had altitude and managed to bail out. Basically, I was right infront of Iwo Jima, perhaps 200 meters away. When I clicked the END MISSION button, it said that "I HAD BEEN CAPTURED DURING THIS MISSION" What? The American carriers are like several kilometers out at sea and here I am 200 meters or so away from Iwo Jima (still in friendly territory) and I am captured? HUH!?

p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    Its good to have a heart and acknowledge the sacrafice and grim reality of war. For me the saddness comes not from shooting anyone down, but when I try to nurse a crippled plane home when I'm still far from friendly territory...especially when I'm online. I cannot image a lonlier place than in the cockpit of a dying aircraft, just trying to eek out a few more miles as you watch the smoke thicken and the temps peg....or fuel slowly drain away while you cross a trackless ocean.
    Switch off the speedbar and minimap path asap, and when comfortable with that get rid of your map icons all together - this sim is nothing until you are navigating all on your own.

Nervouspete, what graphics card do you have?

I'm not 100% but based on your screenshot, you may be able to notch up the sea water effects a fair bit.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    True, p-11.cAce.

I've found myself being shelled after I hit the ground in this game. I even got killed though I had bailed out and landed inside my own blue line. T'was a bit of unexpected realism for me.

zardozid's Avatar Senior Member
    I think I need to play something a bit more light-hearted, something more sweet and frivolous and less indicative of the horrors of war.
    I don't understand why your even LOOKING at WW2 sim/video games?
    Why not play "sims", "M$FXS" or "Need 4 Speed"?
    Their are plenty of non-violent video games...
    As games go the grafix are REALLY tame...

Originally posted by zardozid:
    I don't understand why your even LOOKING at WW2 sim/video games?
    Why not play "sims", "M$FXS" or "Need 4 Speed"?
    Their are plenty of non-violent video games...
    As games go the grafix are REALLY tame...
    Heh. That was a sentence setting me up for a punch line in misguidedly trying to cheer me up with SH3 - which I have actually played and is pretty great, but also almost depressingly realistic ala horrors of war at times.

Though I do play lovely games as well, like Psychonauts, Zookeeper and Grim Fandango.

Eizon, I have a 7600GS, 2 gigs of ram and a 2500XP. I set the graphics to perfect and I think I changed the config file so it was set to water=3 or something, though I'm not sure. Any advice would be peachy!