Originally Posted by Turbokp43 Go to original post
    Can I get a Game of Thrones skin please
    Ubisoft don't own the rights for GoT so I really don't understand why you're asking for this. It's like you were asking for a Star Wars skin in a Star Trek game. The best we can get is having Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, etc skins because Ubi owns these.

All those designs look really cool! ...And I'm a very indecisive person, so I will be spending way too much time on customization.

Too cartoonish, a little disappointed

I love these designs! Not a single one of those would be disappointing to fly. I love the style the game is going for. It seems it is going to have as much character as the original.

I'm going to be the 'Debbie Downer' here and say that I do not appreciate at all, the attempt to pull a bait and switch the player base. I'll get to that specific point in just a moment however.

I'm basing the following opinion on what I saw in a 48 second video, my years of playing video games, and my vast experience dealing with companies that promise great things and deliver none of it. This is my simple opinion on what I think is happening now and what I think will never come to pass.

All we've seen in this 48 second "Spaceship Customization" video is a number of different designs of space fighters with a skin slapped on top of them. Nothing...and I mean NOTHING about that video tells me there is anything more to 'customization' than slapping a new decal on the same ship design, or a handful of designs.

All I see is colorful little video that shows little to nothing in content and an attempt to get me excited about playing with stickers. STICKERS!

Let's take a quick trip to the dictionary shall we?

customize

[ kuhs-tuh-mahyz ]

EXAMPLES|WORD ORIGIN

verb (used with object), cus·tom·ized, cus·tom·iz·ing.

to modify or build according to individual or personal specifications or preference:to customize an automobile.

See that last line? to modify or build according to individual or personal specifications or preference:to customize an automobile.

Keep that last line in mind for the time being.

Want to know what I think when a game developer uses the word customize regarding a space fighter? I THINK that they mean I can make my own space fighter from the ground up. I would start with a basic and simple fuselage or chassis. I'd add the wings, fins, cockpit, weapons, some defenses, all from an immense and large array of INDIVIDUAL pieces, to eventually come up with a design all unique to myself. Something that for sure someone else hasn't seen before. Maybe its ugly, maybe its sleek, maybe it barely functions. In the end however, I'll build it from the basic parts provided and I'll continue to change parts out and make it more functional as time goes on.

What I DON'T want to see is an advanced system of decal-swapping, paint-swatches, and color wheels to slap on hues in various sections of a PRE-BUILT, NEVER CHANGING MODEL, or SET OF MODELS. That is NOT customization. Its playing with a box of crayons!

Remember that definition?
    to modify or build according to INDIVIDUAL or PERSONAL SPECIFICATIONS.

Swapping out a skin or decal, for another skin or decal is not that.

So Ubisoft...go ahead an attempt to woo me over with another vid depicting the vast array of crayons I can play with while calling it customization. I've purchased to many games from your company, and from many other game companies to actually believe you'd provide the player base with what I described above rather than a simple decal-swapping engine for space fighters...because that is EXACTLY what you'll be giving us.

I'm not stupid and neither is the rest of the player base. Please stop lying to us.
     1 people found this helpful

Seriously? This looks dope.

Did you actually watch the trailer Silicon? Or did you watch the first 20 seconds and then start whining and getting self-righteous? There are clearly varied ship, engine, and wing designs, along with some of the beautiful paint-jobs you dismissed as stickers. I mean seriously, if you want to go on a tirade, at least take the literal minute to watch the damn thing you're trying to rant about.

Originally Posted by AudaciaAdAstris Go to original post
    Did you actually watch the trailer Silicon? Or did you watch the first 20 seconds and then start whining and getting self-righteous? There are clearly varied ship, engine, and wing designs, along with some of the beautiful paint-jobs you dismissed as stickers. I mean seriously, if you want to go on a tirade, at least take the literal minute to watch the damn thing you're trying to rant about.
    I did IN FACT watch the ENTIRE 48 seconds...oh my god. Do you understand what I was talking about in my post?

Yes...there CLEARLY are numerous ship designs. Yes there clearly are numerous decal/skin designs. However, that's ALL that it is. Understand?

Pre-Made Ship designs in a stable of other pre-made ship designs. Do you get that? These are not ships that we build. These will be ships that we acquire. Already built, already running, already in a configurations made by a team of artists who worked on the game.

Think about that for a moment and then realize one thing: that is NOT customization!

Beautiful paint jobs or not, it will still be a simple system of paint-job/sticker/decal/skin swapping with pre-built vehicle swapping.

I would be BEYOND surprised if they added a way to actually paint a space fighter on our own with a dedicated paint wheel, pick-able hues, and various parts of the ship that can be painted and given various textures. THAT would be closer to customization. But it won't happen. I know.

Like I know that on day one of release of this game, the servers will crash and some horrible problem will occur and we'll all be spending the day cursing Ubisoft's name.
    It. Is. Set. In Stone. If you have ever played any Ubisoft game, you know this is true and will happen.

We as players will have no say in game on how a space fighter will look or function before being allowed to paste on some decals. We will have to deal with what the games allows us to acquire trough it's own various means.

I'm sure this will be good enough for most people. I'm sure that a system of paint-job swapping will be enough for most people.

I'm not most people. What's been presented is not, in my opinion, customization. For a Triple A game company such as Ubisoft to tell us that space fighters will be customizable is not only a misnomer, but also doing a disservice to their own vast player base that has come to expect much much more from them over the years.

What I've seen for BGE2 has sparked my fancy beyond words up till now. I'm elated. I'm excited. I cannot wait to play the game. But DON'T LIE TO ME about a feature that I KNOW will never come true. Just Don't. I've had enough of the lies from other companies and Ubisoft is no different.

Maybe you are happy with what's been shown in the space fighter customization video.

I am not.

UbiBorghal's Avatar Community Manager
    Hi, Silicon!

Thanks for taking the time and explaining how you feel about the video and the customization presented. First, I ask you to remember this is all pre-alpha work in progress, and nothing is set in stone.

Discussing the semantics of the word customization is not the point of this thread, plus you already explained your mind and I don't think you want it changed. If this is a discussion you or anybody else wants to have ("what does customization really mean for BGE2?" or something like that) I invite you to open another thread to discuss that. It could be interesting!

Regarding the type of in-depth customization you would like to see, perhaps what we showed during the Space Monkey Report #4 is more like what you expect? It begins at around the 29:19 mark: https://youtu.be/4YzEozG5EYs?t=1759

Regardless, I remind you that you are welcome to express your opinion and constructive criticism. However, blanket statements about the future and "what will happen for sure" are not really helpful. Also, consider that we are sharing all of this in the spirit of transparency and in order to gather everybody's feedback.

Originally Posted by UbiBorghal Go to original post
    Hi, Silicon!

Regarding the type of in-depth customization you would like to see, perhaps what we showed during the Space Monkey Report #4 is more like what you expect? It begins at around the 29:19 mark: https://youtu.be/4YzEozG5EYs?t=1759

Holy crap yes! I dunno HOW I missed all that but if that's what space fighter customization is, then I take it all back. That's awesome and that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you!

Looks very promising. The ships have a very WW2-punk and Crimson Skies-ish feel to them. Great style. Please make sure there is more to the ships than just style, tho. Function + style. This is best done by 1 of 2 ways:

1) limited ship hulls with preset names and specializations, and let us tack-on modules like extra wings, engines, guns, plates that we loot or build or buy to add bonuses and customize our ships. Those modules affect both stats and appearance. Kinda like guns in The Division or kit-bashing your own Star Wars ship together, or...

2) procedurally generated or random ships with multi-part names that reflect their functions & appearance. "Zig's Meatball Missileboat" or "Super-Dakka Electro-Speeder" Each ship part procedurally selected when we weld together some scrap metal to try for a new design will be tied to a different name-part. Enhance it or somet later on in a mechanic's bay to get a Super-dakka Electro-Speeder Plus or a Superduper-dakka Electro-Speeder... You just tinkered in a bonus stat on your engines or guns, respectively. See No Mans Sky or guns in Borderlands.

Each system appeals to a certain gameplay loop or playstyle while keeping the loot grind fresh and appealing, searching for the best parts or manufacturing components or blueprints (1), or the searching for the god-roll (2) and melting down the rest for ammo and fuel and scrap to use in repairs.

I'm sure there will be cosmetic microtransactions and premium skins, decals, paint colors. Please, please, please learn from the mistakes of past games that have done nothing but piss off players with pay-2-win microtx. Premium. Cosmetics. Only! Let us actually earn everything useful in the game by hard work, and not Battlefront2 style grinding 24/7 for 10 years. A reasonable grind for casual gamers that may on my have 1-2 hrs a day to play.