🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Anno forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    My PC:
    Windows 10 x64 on ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 + Intel i8700 +16GB +M.2 SSD 970 EVO 1GB +ASUS ROG strix 1660ti 6GB
    All drivers updated

I don't think it's an old hardware problem ...

Same Boat

Same issue here, DX11 worked for a while, then the 5.1 update gave me fits DX12 worked for one gaming session...kinda. 5.2 update...can't run for more than 5 minutes. Now I've got a "Present Failed" error followed up by a "failed to pre-create a manager. Error code:1102". Doesn't matter if I'm running DX11 or 12 or windowed...I'll also get red or pink boxes around random buildings or shaggy blinking trees.

Brand new PC, Ryzen 5 3600, RX 590 drivers up to date. Waste of $60.

EDIT: Downclocked the GPU just a bit...Works with DX12 now, but sadly I have some screen tearing now. At least I can play.
     1 people found this helpful

Game worked fine for awhile after 5.2, now I'm getting crashes every 5 minutes as well, with the DirectX error that says "Present Failed." I have not installed or changed anything since 5.2 launch. But booted up the game this morning and it's decided it's not going to work.

I swear, this game does NOT want me to play it. Just when one thing is fixed, another thing goes wrong.

game crashes

the game keeps crashing for my girlfriend
    she is getting an directx "present failed"
    submitted a ticket id 09804788 with msinfo and dxdiag.

I noticed my game crashes with DX 12 error when I zoom in too much too many buildings, like on Edward's Goode island in campaign.

Maybe DirectX Error SOLVED?

Hi guys, maybe I've found solution (at least in my case).

To generate the error for me it was enough to try to go to the desktop by pressing the WIN key on the keyboard during the game or simply play for 10-15 minutes zooming in and out ... and almost always without the possibility of sending any report via Uplay (because Uplay report application also crashed).

I was using Asus GTX 1660ti on a 32-inch main monitor at 1440p 144Hz + intel 8700 UHD integrated on a secondary monitor at 1080p.
    I did everything: disabled the UHD intel, detached secondary monitor, tested with and without G-Sync, uninstalled and reinstalled clean Nvidia drivers, downclocked GPU, etc ...
    Unsuccessful
    So investigating the Event Viewer immediately after an "Unexpected DirectX error ..." I finally found a "yellow warning" at the exact same time as the "Red Error" regarding the exhaustion of the virtual memory with the details of the processes that were using it (Anno1800.exe, upc.exe, dwm.exe) (attached screenshots).
    Anno1800.exe = Anno1800
    upc.exe = Uplay launcher
    dwm.exe = Desktop Window Manager

But having 16GB RAM and an SSD 970 EVO Plus 1GB I had disabled virtual memory so I didn't have any paging files to fill or use in Windows!
    I don't understand why the game needs the swap file because it doesn't occupy all the RAM, but if it wants so ...

Tonight I have reactivated the virtual memory (pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys) and I was able to play for 20 minutes and also to pass many times back and forth to the desktop with Anno1800 running WITHOUT any DirectX error and being able to resume the game correctly !
    Deo gratias!

Yes, now I can confirm for sure 100%!
    "An unespected DirectX error" is solved for me.

It was enough to reactivate virtual memory of Windows (and then pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys will be created in the root folder C:\ ).
    Now I can play even in window or full screen window! I can pause and do other things with the game in the background without any errors.

I just stopped playing, started this morning, played for about 7 hours, with lots of pauses and switches to Windows / Chrome, without restarting Anno1800, and without receiving any "Error ...." !!!

You can google "set up virtual memory windows 10" to find the way to do it.

But, unlike what is recommended on the various sites, I let the pagefile.sys file size be managed by the system.
    Result: the file size with or without active Anno1800 is always the same, less than 4GB, compared to 16GB of RAM (snapshot attached)

1) snap1 (file size auto managed by Windows 10)

2) snap2 (my system memory)

3) snap3 (my settings for virtual memory mangement)

Hope to help someone!

EDIT:
    after a few days of use with the automatic settings, Windows has set the swap file to around 1GB and this is the file size even during active play, without any increase.

Had the same issue with my rtx 2080 using dx11. Tried a 950 and currently using a 1080 and both don't have this error.

Originally Posted by elpablo2010 Go to original post
    Yes, now I can confirm for sure 100%!
    "An unespected DirectX error" is solved for me.

It was enough to reactivate virtual memory of Windows (and then pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys will be created in the root folder C:\ ).
    Now I can play even in window or full screen window! I can pause and do other things with the game in the background without any errors.

I just stopped playing, started this morning, played for about 7 hours, with lots of pauses and switches to Windows / Chrome, without restarting Anno1800, and without receiving any "Error ...." !!!

Hope to help someone!
    This has to be very SAD!!!! If this is what helps the error and the game is running fine after doing this. Ubisoft then has no CLUE in what they are doing. Come on Ubisoft back in the days when we had very little memory, yes we use Virtual Memory. With memory today any thing with 8gb you shouldn't need Virtual memory.

But here we go again with the Virtual memory. 1404 had a memory leak and they tried to fix with Virtual memory. So every other game since then I bet they use Virtual memory. I play it mostly on windows 7 and I have seen it using up to 12gb of memory. So if you have 16gb of memory and windows might use up to 4gb or 5gb of memory. then you might run out of system memory.

Originally Posted by dmdilks Go to original post
    This has to be very SAD!!!! If this is what helps the error and the game is running fine after doing this. Ubisoft then has no CLUE in what they are doing. Come on Ubisoft back in the days when we had very little memory, yes we use Virtual Memory. With memory today any thing with 8gb you shouldn't need Virtual memory.
    Maybe the DirectX libraries need virtual memory?