Instead of going into the air as the same guy, same weight, I think there should be a career mode where you are the commanding officer of an airfield/squadron.

You manage your pilots, groundcrews, and planes. Your decisions effect how they fly (whether or not to put planes up for drills or gunnery practice or conserve the ammo), what they eat (to keep them in top condition, but yet at the same time not too skinny), to bringing in a bade pet (to raise morale).

Tons of other stuff could be thrown in, but im wondering if that is at all possible in the IL-2 engine that we use right now, or if we will see something simular to that in BoB.

Instead of going into the air as the same guy, same weight, I think there should be a career mode where you are the commanding officer of an airfield/squadron.

You manage your pilots, groundcrews, and planes. Your decisions effect how they fly (whether or not to put planes up for drills or gunnery practice or conserve the ammo), what they eat (to keep them in top condition, but yet at the same time not too skinny), to bringing in a bade pet (to raise morale).

Tons of other stuff could be thrown in, but im wondering if that is at all possible in the IL-2 engine that we use right now, or if we will see something simular to that in BoB.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    CFS3 tried that

I like having options, I really do. But I worry about getting bogged down in detail that takes away from the real point: combat flight

Toggle switch career mode? Outstanding, I'll probably try that type of mode you're talking about once

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UberPickle:

Tons of other stuff could be thrown in, but im wondering if that is at all possible in the IL-2 engine that we use right now, or if we will see something simular to that in BoB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they just want to focus on combat flight like Chuck said. A lot of people including me would probably disable it and get bored of it, especially because it would probably get reallllyy monotonous during campaigns. Its like making a brand new FPS where the player marches for two days before storming a town that takes ten minutes and gets only a handful of clear shots.

Given this is all a matter of opinion, but I don't think it would catch on very well. Honestly thats almost a seperate game in itself...

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Pickle:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what they eat (to keep them in top condition, but yet at the same time not too skinny), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You can play Commisar for VVS or PVO airfield, keep your pilots' political morale in top condition.

Base Commander 4 Der Kommissar

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Oooo, if we could do that, I'd be in!

"Good news! Jellied beets again in the mess, comrades! And we now have two sheets of toilet paper per man, for the rest of the day. Tomorrow we go back on toilet paper sharing, so enjoy your beets!"

I could definately see a 3rd party utility for that concept. Something like Lowengrin's mission generator along with airfield management combined would definately be interesting.