slimtwofive's Avatar Member

Help - Game Stuttering - losing USB Cable

I need some help on this one.

I recently got a new laptop. (Dell G5) And I'm having Rocksmith issues with it.

I had RS problems with my old laptop as well, but this is different. On my old laptop, if I would go into Learn A Song (with Lead configured) and if I quickly used the arrow keys to scroll down and selected the "rhythm" version the game would crash back to desktop. BUT if I waited about 6-8 seconds before selecting "rhythm" then no problems. (for the most part)

On the Dell G5, I'll be in the middle of a song and the game will begin to "stutter" and the sound will go crazy for about .5 - 3 seconds. The game won't crash, but when the game returns, the RT cable no longer works. I can unplug the cable and plug it back in (without closing the game) and the game will continue like nothing happened.

This happens about 15-20 minutes into a session and then once it happens, it will continue to go out every 5-10 minutes as I continue to play.

The G5 has 1-"USB 3.1 Gen 2/DisplayPort Type-C" and 3-"USB 3.1 Gen 1" ports on it.

Thinking it might be related to the USB 3.1 port, I purchase a hub for the Type-C port that has 2- USB 3.0 ports and 2-USB 2.0 ports. Doesn't matter if I plug the RT cable into the 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 ports. The stuttering happens and the cable gets disabled. It's annoying as heck!

I have a backup RT cable that I've only used maybe a dozen times, and it happens with that one as well.

I've gone thru all the Dell SupportAssist to make sure I have all the latest drivers, bios, etc. I'm not sure what to try next?

Forgot to mention, that I've gone thru the Sound Control Panel to make sure the RealTone Cable is configured for the 48000 DVD quality settings and all that stuff as outlined in the RS FAQ.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Sounds like background tasks are giving you issues.

Make sure no other applications are running that will compete with the game for resources and the realtone cable.

I've shutdown any application that is even remotely relating to audio, microphone etc. I've re-installed Seam and Rocksmith about 3-4 times. It still happens.

Doesn't matter which USB port I plug into..

Can you run Rocksmith in Windows Safe Mode?

I really think its something between Rocksmith and the Audio / USB drivers on this laptop. When RS stutters and drops the RS cable, the Device Manager shows the Realtone Cable as working fine. And the fact that I can unplug it and plug it back in while RS is still running, makes me think something in RS is tripping itself up. Some incompatibility between RS and the Dell G5 drivers.

Also your PC may be dropping USB power. Check your USB power settings, so it does not shut off USB power.

Another thing to try is a Powered USB hub.

I went into Device Manager and made sure all the Power Management had the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was disabled.

While I was in Device Manger, there was an "Events" entry under the Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter Properties... it said something like.."Device USB\VID_xxxxxxxx requires further installation". Not sure if that means anything

From the documentation that came with the USB hub I'm using.. (The HUB is plugged into the USB 3.1 Type-C port)

When the hub is connected to the laptop, output of the USB3.0 port: 5V/900mAh; When the PD port is powered, output of the USB 3.0 port: 5V/1.5A Max.

Which from what I gather from the RS FAQ posted, that should be more than enough power for the cable.

Last night, I played without power to the hub and the game stuttered briefly, but it never dropped the cable. However, tonight I powered the USB hub and the game stutter bad enough to drop the cable.

Again, Windows still shows it in Sound Control Panel and Device Manager as ok. The game is dropping/losing it.

The laptop's main drive is a 512Gb M2 drive and I have an external 1TB SSD drive. No physical harddrives. First RS was on the SSD drive, thinking the game didn't like the external USB connect, so I re-installed it on the main M2 drive.

I do appreciate the help. I've already spent about $100 bucks on different hub's, cables etc. on this laptop and nothing seems to be working.

Can I open a "ticket" or something with UBISOFT???

A powered USB hub should be plugged into wall power as well as the PC. Otherwise you are not getting any more power than the PC was putting out in the first place.

You mention it is a laptop. Be sure to play while plugged into wall power and not while on battery only. Usually laptops reduce performance and power output while on battery only.

The laptop has always been plugged into a wall outlet. And as I mentioned, I tried the USB hub with and without power(i.e. plugged into a wall outlet.)

About an hour ago, I updated some of the Intel Chipset drivers on the laptop. Maybe that will help. Won't know till this weekend.

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    when my Harddrive was going out, it acted real similar. Scrolling fast thru the song list would takes 20 secs for the gfx to finally show.

and playing a song, there would be latency in the sound.

try doing a full disk health scan. Also make sure its not going to sleep to be green.

That last update didn't do anything. Still dropping the cable.

I found an old USB 2.0 hub, but I couldn't find the little power supply for it. Tried it anyway, the audio had a bunch of "crackling" noise with it. There still was stuttering like before, and eventually it was bad enough to drop the cable. Went in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I've run several disk scans with the SupportAssist, and disk has always passed. It just ran again, no problems. But another update to the Intel Chipset driver just popped up??