I couldn't see if anyone had posted this before, so here goes. This works OK for me, and is easy to do, but I take no responsibility for any damage you do to your PC or your installation!
    It isn't perfect as I'll explain below, but it is certainly good enough to play. I am really dissapointed that UBISoft didn't release this in English. I am sure there is a market for it.

Steps
    1. Install Settlers II 10th Anniversary (if you haven't already!)
    2. Apply the 11757 patch (s2patch11757.exe) (if you haven't already!)
    3. Make a copy of the following folder
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"><Your Install Path>\The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary\data\language\gb</pre> and its contents. e.g. copy it to gb_copy
    4. Rename the original 'gb' folder to 'de'
    5. Using a registry editor (eg regedit) navigate to the key <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubisoft\Funatics\ S2TNG</pre> There you will find a String Value called Language. It will read 1033 (English). Change it to 1031 (German).
    6. Install the Vikings Add-on from the CD, wait for it to finish.
    7. Copy the contents of the previously backed up gb folder (<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"><Your Install Path>\The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary\data\language\gb_copy</pre> from the example above) into the de folder, overwriting all files when asked.
    8. Change the registry key back to 1033.
    9. Start the Vikings add-on and play...

There are a few issues.
    1. The mission briefings are in German - not a big problem, as each mission is quite simple to grasp.
    2. There are some great new features added to the game including notification when you are out of resources, announcements on tool production (so you don't end up with a million scythes ) and battle summaries (e.g. attack repelled). These are also in German, but a quick trip to Babelfish allowed me to translate them all. The resource names are in English though.
    3. There are some other bits and bobs still in German but all the screens, menus, buildings etc etc are in English so it's pretty simple to play.

Some translations
    Soldatennachschub ist knapp - Soldier supply is limited
    Rohstoffe sind knapp - Raw materials are limited
    Warenstau an fahne - Congestion at flag (very useful!)
    Werkzeug hergestellt - Tool manufactured
    Angriffe abgewehrt - Attacks repelled

Hope this helps someone. It's keeping me going until Settlers 6 ROAE (which was a disappointment )

Nice one - to post this I hope Settlers 6 is all you are waiting for.

I might try it when I have time. Did not know about that patch number so gone and got it and saved it for possible future use.

but like you still very annoyed at Ubisucks for not telling the truth and not releasing it here.

You Sir are a god damn genius. I love you...

There is one more thing to mention though. Some of you may be wondering -as I did throught the night- where the heck is the new random map generator that should come with the add-on.
    After some hours of googling(which gave me no results), thinking and trying, at last I could do something that worked out:
    It happens that telling the registry that you have the eng version, the map editor will use the Editor_English.dll, that is the dll of the earlier version. The add-on installed the Editor_German.dll (or editor_polish.dll, or whatever).
    So if you want whatever new features the new add-on's map editor brings, such as the long awaited random map generator (which still sucks imo), all you have to do is to:
    rename <install-path>\bin\Editor_English.dll to something else or delete it.
    This will make the exe look for a dll of another language present in the directory.

I forgot to thank Settled for the nice discovery, you saved my day man.

Thanks for posting this very detailed guide!
    I was actually thinking of buying this expansion but wasn't sure if the languages are compatible.

Vikings addon fully translated
    The addon is now fully translated, including the new editor with random map generation and the sound. Now there is an install helper for installing the German addon disk on the English S2-10th game and an installer for the translations too! So I decided to do an updated start post here, to sum up everything the good people in this thread found out so far, in a single place on the first page, for the original posts look below.

youtube teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOXjatmt_dY

Updated install procedure and downloads
    These are the instructions to install the basically German add-on on the English game, and convert it to a fully translated English add-on:

Steps:
    1. Install Settlers II 10th Anniversary (if you haven't already!)
    2. Download the s2vhelper, run it and follow the instructions onscreen. It's a small 24mb helper app that does the steps 2-8 from the manual procedure as in the opening post for you, It will apply the 11757patch,do the copying and register-edits and ask you to install the vikings addon at the required point, so keep your disk ready.
    3. Download and install Vikings-English-Installer 1.2 , it's about 120mb and contains the translated missions, sound, messages, title screen, editor and intro.
    4. On the shortcut(s) used to start the game: right click them, select properties and go to the compatibility tab, and place a mark at ‘Disable visual themes’ and press OK. (not needed on XP, in W7 it avoids certain camera issues)
    5. Done! Start the Vikings add-on and play...

that should be all you need, if not read on below.

Notes:

* You do still need the Vikings addon CD and the game itself, ofcourse.
    * Other than German Vikings: You need to do the manual procedure.
    * It does seem to work on the GOG version of s2-10th, albeit only using the addon.exe and addon disk inserted.
    * Sound track narrated by google translate, with manual phonetic correction and mastering.

Known issues:
    none at the moment, if you find anything please report.

Manual procedure revisited:
    This is practically the same as the opening post but cleaned up and including the later finds.
    1. Install Settlers II 10th Anniversary
    2. Apply the 11757 patch (s2patch11757.exe)
    3. Make a copy of the following folder: '<Your Install Path>\The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary\data\language\gb' and its contents. e.g. copy it to 'gb_copy'
    4. Rename the original 'gb' folder to 'de'
    5. Using a registry editor (eg regedit) navigate to the key:
    Windows-x64: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Fu natics\S2TNG]
    Windows-x86: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubisoft\Funatics\ S2TNG].
    There you will find a String Value called Language. It will read 1033 (English). Change it to 1031 (German).
    6. Install the Vikings Add-on from the CD, wait for it to finish.
    7. Copy the contents of the previously backed up 'gb' folder ('<Your Install Path>\The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary\data\language\gb_copy' from the example above) into the 'de' folder, overwriting all files when asked.
    8. Change the registry key back to 1033.
    9. Install the The English missions&messages fix v1.3, the English soundpack 1.1, the title screen, the editor and the intro as required from the separate files listed below or use the Vikings-English-Installer to get all of it in one go.
    10. On the shortcut(s) used to start the game: right click them, select properties and go to the compatibility tab, and place a mark at ‘Disable visual themes’ and press OK. (not needed on XP, in W7 it avoids certain camera issues) on w10 it's best to set it to 'xp-compatability mode' to avoid the issue.
    11. Done! Start the Vikings add-on and play...

List of the available downloads:
    - The English missions&messages fix v1.3: The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary - Vikings [English mission and messages Fix v1.3].rar 144 KB
    - English soundpack: vikings english sound v1.1.rar 71.3 MB
    - English Title Screen by kmnWolfman: S2-DNG_EnglishTitleScreen(by_kmnWolfman).rar (76 KB)
    - The English v1.001a editor with random map generator: S2-DNG-Editor v1001a_English.rar (14 KB)
    - Remixed English Intro movie has the music tuned down by -10db to make the voice-over more pronounced. (only used by the original s2dng.exe executable, not the addon one): New Intro, english track1, music -10db.rar (48.6 MB)
    - Vikings-English-Installer containing all of the above: vikings-english-installer1.2.exe 120.3 MB
    - Official Settlers 2 10th gen. patch 11757: s2patch11757.rar (24.0 MB)
    - s2vhelper, an app that simplifies the install procedure of the German Wikinger addon on the English game: s2v-helper.exe (24.2 MB)

Changelog:
    * edit 23-nov-2013: Updated the downloads fixing the known issues, updated missions&messages to v1.3, updated soundpack to v1.1, updated complete installer to v1.2 fixing the following issues:
    - Final victory display still had German sound.
    - On the quest display of island 7 the main quest name was missing.
    - Final chapter victory text had one doubled paragraph were other text should be displayed.
    to update existing installs just run vikings-english-installer1.2.exe, this will update all to latest version.

* edit 12-may-2013: all files up again!
    * edit 11-may-2013: the lobostock links are down, currently re-upping the files to an other host.
    the main two files can be downloaded from mega.co.nz for now, and edited the main post, the other download will follow soon.
    * edit 27-2: made an installer (for the English files) now, it will find the path where the addon is installed and copy the files there so it's easier.
    * edit 28-2: made s2vhelper app to simplify the install procedure and reduce the number of steps.
    * edit 6-3: repacked Vikings-English-Installer, I mistakenly packed the old v1.1 translation in it, now updated to v1.2 translation.
    * edit 9-3: fixed a minor bug and misspelled name in some files.

-Old original post-

hi, don't know if anyone is still reading this,

But I translated the remaining german text of the vikings to english including the missions and in game messages. It was a bit of a job to translate the 9500+ german words and stay true to the original story, but I feel the result was worth it.

These files fix the ingame messages and the briefings. Only the text part, the spoken part
    will still be german of course. But every text message in the game will be english,
    so now you'll be able to read the subtitles in the briefing and the entire quest in your questbook.

Install
    -------
    If you downloaded these files you can probably skip the first two steps, because you already have the game and vikings addon installed.

1 - First install The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary + latest patch.
    2 - Then install the vikings addon, follow the instructions to install the basically german vikings addon on the english game.
    3 - Place the fix files 'briefings_addon.txt' and 'controls_addon.txt' in:
    <Your Install Path>\The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary\data\language\de
    overwrite or back up the originals if you like.
    and it's done!

remarks
    -------
    The files were packed with DnGEd, so don't worry if you can't read them like this. The original files where also packed.
    With v1.1 a transcript of the translation is included as ms-word docx so it can be reviewed, any suggestions for v1.2 are welcome

Best of luck,
    Mjorky

Wow, thats awesome !

I am still reading this, every reply here goes to my e-mail.
    I'll download it for sure, thanks !!!!!!

Wow! Amazing! This forum is the only place I've found on the internet that helps with the Vikings add-on in english!

To Meisters Settled, rafaelbelo and mjorky, you are scholars and gentlemen! Rare and detailed guides for a rare problem. Give yourselves a pat on the back!

Tnx. for the kudos, hope you have fun playing
    I'll do a rev 2 of the translation in a while because I discovered I made some typos, so I'll fix that.

I have some more tips for win7 users:

install point 5:
    5. Using a registry editor (eg regedit) navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubisoft\Funatics\S2TNG
    in windows7/x64 the right key to change is:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Fu natics\S2TNG]

An other tip for win7 is to right-click the shortcut, select compatibility tab and place a mark at 'disable visual themes'. It will solve the problem closing popup windows in game when they appear near the top of the screen.

Mjorky

Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last ►►