Hello fellow players, enthusiasts and devs, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've been gaming since 1979, MMORPG gaming since 1995. We all know that part of our hobby is not just the games themselves, but the learning about, and then agonizing over, it's development. And now, we can contribute to that development, which is even cooler.

Yet the cycle has always been the same, even going back to 1979. You learn about a game, agonize over its development, wait and wait and wait for it to come out, and when it does, it either does not deliver, or it does, and then becomes boring relatively quickly. And since '79, every year only about 1 in every 2-300 games is ever any good.

And so here we are again. I am hopeful, but doubtful.

The real problem is WoW. WoW opened up a genre so well that developers cannot help but emulate it at best, and duplicate it at worst. And while the claim is constantly heard that this title, or that one, or the other, is NOT like WoW, ultimately, they all are.

And I know why, or at least, I think I'm on the right track.

What makes WoW, WoW, has nothing to do with mechanics or content. It is not about the depth of its crafting system or character progression and classes.

The two dynamics that define WoW are that one, content is exclusively produced by the developers, and two, it is basically a fighting game with other elements appended to it.

So I would like to propose a few things to the developers here at BGAE2 that I feel CAN truly move it away from the WoW model.

1. No matter how good your team is, no matter how much time you have, no matter how much money you throw at content creation, it is fundamentally true that you cannot produce content faster than we can play it. And we will do so, and then we will get bored and move on. The solution is simple. Allow the players to make the content in addition to your team.

2. Fighting is by far the simplest, yet the laziest, form of 'play' in MMOs. I think 'combat' needs to be redefined as problem solving, and apply a general system to many forms of interaction within the game. Be it crafting, communication with NPCs, skills (such as lockpicking), all endeavors should have an element of skill, failure and reward tied to them.

3. If I give you two bricks and tell you to hold one in each hand, and ask what their value is, you might say, less than a dollar each. But if I could prove that the brick in your left hand was part of Napoleon Bonaparte's childhood home, suddenly it increases in value. For an identical brick! Why? Because history confers values to items. What I have never seen in an MMO is a complete history tied to every item in the game. If a player makes the first sword or laser gun in the entire game, then even if that item is junk, it still has value because of its history. Knowing every battle an item has had, and for whom, would confer value in opposition to the only variable that defines value right now; scarcity.

4. Uniqueness is the holy grail to gamers like me. I not only want a place to call home, but I want to be seen as individual within the MMO space. I want my skills to be recognized, my experience to count for something. But that's not how it works. Someone gets some good gear, or a new skill, and eventually everyone has it. You can go to a website wiki to find out how to defeat the situation you encounter, because countless others have already done so. But it does not have to be this way. I have seen a system that creates a hash based on permanent attributes of a player (like their name, race, etc), and then uses this hash to randomize combat and make it unique for just that player. Since the lists of interactions in the database behind the scenes does not change, only how it is interacted with, the resources needed for this system are well within current capabilities.

These are just a few ideas that need to be explored, because right now, I am intrigued by your game. But if all you intend to do is have another good story with fighting, then you just created another WoW.

I genuinely wish you luck, and I look forward to see what you come up with.