Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered only using 1 CPU core?

I just got the game along with the AC Odyssey season pass, and tried it out. At the start of the game, the main menu and cutscenes, my first CPU core was at 100% usage. The others were at 15% or lower. I thought that only applied for the main menu, but when the game started with Desmond Miles, it was still the same, with 1 CPU core at 100% usage and heating up the other unused cores.

This makes my laptop with a GTX 1070 and i7-8750H (6 cores) run at 63 fps max (pretty sure CPU is causing it), which is frustrating because I have a 144 Hz monitor, and wanted to play this game at 100+ FPS. There is also an option for the monitor which I set to 1920x1080 144Hz, which sadly didn't do anything since I was still at a 63 FPS maximum. I also encountered some stuttering (possibly due to only using 1 CPU core) that drops my FPS every couple of seconds just for a small amount of time.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Can I make the game make use of my 6 CPU cores or is the game just poorly optimized for modern CPU's?

Thanks!

Are you ALT/TABing to the desktop to see your CPU usage? I'm on an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and as soon as I do that, I can see all 16 cores with activity. It then quickly dies down to little on all cores except core 1 which goes to 90% (I flip back to the game and it's on the Pause Menu there). Seems the Pause Menu only uses 1 core.

I both alt tab and look at my monitoring in game where I can see my GPU, CPU, FPS, temps, usage. After alt tabbing, it is the same: 1 core at 100% usage and all the others nearly unused.

The game seems to be capped at 63 FPS and no matter what you set it at it just doesn't go any faster ..... Seems to be smooth enough though and I'm not sure there would be any advantage to higher FPS in this game other than 'bragging rights'..... Pretty much everything since Unity struggles to get much of 60 FPS consistently except on the highest end video cards

Download the "ParkControl" Utility, this enables you to switch all the cores on bypassing Windows 10's control of power saving by "parking" other cores. I used it on my laptop to enable all the cores. I don't know if it will work on AC3, but it's worth a try.

The problem is what if AC3 IS using my other cores, and it's just bad distrubution between the cores, resulting in one fully used and the others having light tasks?

Frag_Maniac's Avatar Banned
    Earlier today I saw a guy on YouTube benching the game. He was getting extremely high CPU usage on CPU 1. What he did was open Task Manager and go to Affinity and uncheck CPU 1. CPU 1 oddly enough still shows a high percentage of use, but it will be dropped down to like 70%.

Thanks for that info, I have been able to solve the problem by

Opening task manager
    Lowering priority to low
    Set affinity to 2 cores
    Alt tab to game
    Alt tab to task manager
    Set affinity to all cores
    Then go back to game

By doing this my CPU1 core is at around 50% along with my other cores.
     1 people found this helpful

Ubi-Swaggins's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey BladeToYourHead,

Is your issue now resolved?

I think so, but I saw earlier that AC3 doesn't support multiple cores, and that it's the same with AC3 Remastered. I also noticed an FPS cap of 63, no matter what settings I change. Are there any solutions to this or will this be patched?