The P-47 was the first aircraft to break the sound bearrier? It did it in a dive when the pilot tried to pull up the wings came off. Is this true?

The P-47 was the first aircraft to break the sound bearrier? It did it in a dive when the pilot tried to pull up the wings came off. Is this true?

NO

I think late spits and p51s would become transonic in a dive and encounter compressability problems.. I heard an anecdote that claimed that a me262 pilot broke the sound barrier, and the resulting pressure sucked some bolts out of his wings. He said that the cockpit started to sound funny, the airspeed indicator was off the dial and that there was a lot of buffetting.

There is a documented case of a ww2 ace turned test pilot who broke the sound barrier in a dive in his sabre jet before Chuck Yeager. Full sonic boom and all... But Chuck Yeager was the first one to do it in level flight, I think.

Actually once the airflow around the entire a/c passes into supersonic things get smooth again. Buffett is transonic range because some of the air is still flowing at a subsonic rate causing vibrations that will rip a conventional WWII prop fighter to threads. Case in point, just because he got buffett doesn't mean he broke it.

Not to mention thick 4 and 6 series NACA airfoils (that the P-51, P-47, P-38 had) don't fair to well in the transonic and supersonic ranges. I doubt you could get one through the barrier with the wings and empennage still attached, nevermind in level flight.

Nope, Russian flown P-63 was first to truly break the sound barrier.

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    I can break the sound barrier....if I eat too much broccoli.

"ch-ch-choppin' broccoliiiiyah!" - Dana Carvey

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VFA195-MaxPower:
    There is a documented case of a ww2 ace turned test pilot who broke the sound barrier in a dive in his sabre jet before Chuck Yeager. Full sonic boom and all... But Chuck Yeager was the first one to do it in level flight, I think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wasn't that George Welch, of Pearl Harbor fame?

There are a lot of reasons for the aircraft to buffet when it is under a lot of stress. The Spitfire was know to vibrate as it approached stall speed. The fact that modern aircraft transition smoothly does not mean that the me262 would have. The me262 is not shaped like a supersonic fighter, and it would have a lot of its protruding parts intersecting the supersonic shockwaves.

This is a quote from the pilot:

"The airspeed indicator was stuck in the red danger zone, which is over 1100 km/hr.

I noticed that rivets began popping out of the tops of the wings.

The airplane began vibrating and shaking wildly, banging my head against the sides of the cockpit.

After diving about three miles I again regained control and was able to return to base.

On the runway the mechanics were very surprised by the appearance of the airplane, which looked as though it had been shaken by the hand of a giant."

If the IAS of over 1100 km/h was true, he was very close to the absolute speed of sound, especially if he was at altitude. The speed of sound at 4000m is 1166.4 km/h.

Now, I'm not saying that he did break the sound barrier, but your argument claiming that since his aircraft wasn't rock stready over its maximum indicated airspeed that he didn't break the sound barrier is not sufficient to debunk the claim.

wayno7777's Avatar Senior Member
    There was a report that as he approached the sound barrier, his ASI was reading inaccurately due the airflow eddying wildly. They do claim to have done it, though. Looking for the link. Can't find it. IIRC it's posted in these forums somewhere.

Search is useless.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►