So do you think the movie Das Boot is Historically Accurate? I've read several U-Boat Veteran's opinions of the movie and all of them point out similar errors.

All of them mention the fact that during depth charges nobody yelled and fell over each other. They had to maintain quiet discipline less they be detected by enemy sound gear. They were afraid of course, but there was no crazy panic and wetting on themselves. They especially hate the scene where one crewman tries to escape the boat and the commander has to grab his pistol.

Other vets do not like the drunken party scene and state that no officer would act that way in public.

The veterans in general do like the other aspects of the film such as the daily life of the men on board and the common duties of the crew. Most believe that was well done.

So do you think the movie Das Boot is Historically Accurate? I've read several U-Boat Veteran's opinions of the movie and all of them point out similar errors.

All of them mention the fact that during depth charges nobody yelled and fell over each other. They had to maintain quiet discipline less they be detected by enemy sound gear. They were afraid of course, but there was no crazy panic and wetting on themselves. They especially hate the scene where one crewman tries to escape the boat and the commander has to grab his pistol.

Other vets do not like the drunken party scene and state that no officer would act that way in public.

The veterans in general do like the other aspects of the film such as the daily life of the men on board and the common duties of the crew. Most believe that was well done.

The movie is good. The book is better. And yes, the movie is over-dramatized in quite a few scenes. But then, it's not a historical documention but still a piece of entertainment.

Germans on leave in france were notorious for crazy parties. Read iron coffins and you will see most of the men spend their days back in the "cat house". Remember that these men could die at any point, and they knew it, day after day their friends were not coming back, if i was in the situation, i would spend all my pay on women and drink. Whats the point of saving in that situation (hell come to think of it im like that now and we're not even at war...) Also it doesnt matter how much noise you make as you are being depth charged, to say the men were silent is i think highly unlikely. No matter how well trained you are if you think that the metre wide can you are in is about to pop and fill with water you would scream. Maybe the best men held their calm, but the young boys, 18-20, would they sit there calmly?

All of the things in that film will 100% have happened at some time on a U-boat somewhere without doubt but not all at once in one boat on one voyage. Thats the fun of films, we get to see all aspects all at once. The only unlikely thing is the man trying to escape, but who is to say this didnt happen at some time?

Not sure but i always thought, wouldnt he find it impossible to get open anyway? With the weight of the water? They didnt need to panic so much or am i wrong...

hauitsme's Avatar Banned
    A way over-hyped movie, only loosly based on reality. If you want reality in a movie, watch documentaries. Otherwise, it's just entertainment. Nevertheless, it was a decent submarine yarn as it shows the fight from the German viewpoint.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
    Germans on leave in france were notorious for crazy parties. Read iron coffins and you will see most of the men spend their days back in the "cat house". Remember that these men could die at any point, and they knew it, day after day their friends were not coming back, if i was in the situation, i would spend all my pay on women and drink. Whats the point of saving in that situation (hell come to think of it im like that now and we're not even at war...) Also it doesnt matter how much noise you make as you are being depth charged, to say the men were silent is i think highly unlikely. No matter how well trained you are if you think that the metre wide can you are in is about to pop and fill with water you would scream. Maybe the best men held their calm, but the young boys, 18-20, would they sit there calmly?

All of the things in that film will 100% have happened at some time on a U-boat somewhere without doubt but not all at once in one boat on one voyage. Thats the fun of films, we get to see all aspects all at once. The only unlikely thing is the man trying to escape, but who is to say this didnt happen at some time?

Not sure but i always thought, wouldnt he find it impossible to get open anyway? With the weight of the water? They didnt need to panic so much or am i wrong... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your right, it is impossible to open a hatch in a dived submarine as they open out. When I was serving on an O-boat, I was an After Ends Watch keeper and had a guy all of a sudden get out of his bunk, and try to get out through the After Escape tower. I just let him go, because there was no immediate danger unless he tried to open the flood valve in the tower. All he was doing was pulling on the hatch handle. He was sleep walking, and not in total control of himself. I talked to him and he came down and woke up. It was really strange. We had been snorting in rough seas, and there was a vacuum in the boat, and that can affect people in different ways. It really plays havoc on your head when you are sleeping.

blue_76's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All of them mention the fact that during depth charges nobody yelled and fell over each other. They had to maintain quiet discipline less they be detected by enemy sound gear. They were afraid of course, but there was no crazy panic and wetting on themselves. They especially hate the scene where one crewman tries to escape the boat and the commander has to grab his pistol.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, perhaps the veterans you spoke of had a more disciplined crew, but you have to understand that it wasn't the same on all uboats and you have to remember that most of them were sunk, so who is to say what is realilstic ans what is not.. one thing is for sure, even a disciplined mind can break down after hours of depth charge attacks, no one person is made of steel. I am sure that panic from some of the crewmembers, especially new recruits was quite common.

I also belive that it was a little to off, I love the movie but a little to off. I heard that after a victory upon succesful missions they would go back home on leave and celebrate. I dont believe that the captain would actual kill the escaping crewman, because they wouldn't really do that. They think thats a disgrace to their motherland if that crewmen thought of escaping no matter how bad the situtation is. Das Boot is yet as real as a WWII submarine movie can get. I like the U-571 movie but that just showed action of how Marines try to catch the Engima machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
    Not sure but i always thought, wouldnt he find it impossible to get open anyway? With the weight of the water? They didnt need to panic so much or am i wrong... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats not the point, the point is that they were in a combat situation and he left his battlestation(engineroom in his case), and by doing so, brings the crew and uboat in danger

BobTuck's Avatar Senior Member
    I read from a decal sheet that U-96 did actually last from 1940 all the way through to 1945, and was indeed bombed while in harbour by allied heavy bombers.

So they got that bit right.

BobTuck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►