UbiKeeba's Avatar Community Manager

Season 1 FAQ + Tracklists

Greetings Riders,

Yesterday marked the release of our first multiplayer season. Today we’d like to answer a few of the questions we’ve gotten from players.

How Does the Leaderboard Ranking Work?
    Trials Rising uses a Glicko rating system to determine a player’s global multiplayer ranking. This is a common rating system used in skill-based games to determine the “true skill” of a player based on their performance. It uses factors like your performance in a match and the skill level of your opponents to calculate your score for any given match. The more you play the more accurate your rating will become.

Will the Rating System Be Adjusted/Balanced?
    We will definitely be looking at the behavior of the system and making adjustments. The more data we have the better we can determine what adjustments are needed so we will be evaluating the system’s performance for a little while before we attempt to start balancing. These adjustments will not only include the rating system, things like the distribution of tracks by difficulty can also be tuned according to the data we collect during this first season.

Why Do I Lose Score Even When I Win?
    The rating system provides a value for each of the 3 heats in a multiplayer match and takes into account the skill rating of each opponent in the match. Therefore a player loses more points for losing to less skilled opponents than they gain for defeating less skilled opponents. As a result, it is possible to receive negative points even if you win the overall match when playing against lower ranked opponents. As players play more and their true ranking scores become more accurate this should become less likely but we will be watching this closely so we can make any needed adjustments.

Update: While it is possible under certain circumstances to lose points when winning, we are seeing reports from players that are not in line with the expected behavior for the system. The team is currently investigating potential causes for these point losses. Thank you to everyone who has provided screenshots or information on their multiplayer match results. These reports have already been very helpful in our investigation. We will provide further updates when more information is available.

When/How Will I Get My Season Rewards?
    Season rewards will be distributed at the end of the season. Players will receive the rewards for the highest division they reach during the season even if they end the season in a lower division. Players will receive ALL rewards up to the highest Division they reached during the Season.

Where Are the Hard and Extreme Tracks?
    Each division in Trials Rising has its own track list. During matchmaking, the game will attempt to match you with players within your league but if not enough are available it will extend its search to other divisions. The tracklist used for the match will be the one for the lowest division present.

For the start of this first season, there will not be extreme tracks in multiplayer. The division track lists, however, will not be static. We will be updating the tracklist both during and in-between seasons and harder tracks will definitely make their way into the track lists for the higher divisions. This season Hard tracks begin to appear in the Platinum Division. You can find a complete track list for each division below. Division Track lists will be shared to these forums each time they are updated.

Bronze
    • Breaking Bad
    • Canyon Crash
    • Happy Camper
    • Lumbering On
    • MX and the City
    • Yellowstone Caldera
    • Balloons Over Bagan
    • Beach Bum
    • Chinese Cliffs
    • Grave of Giants
    • Spirit of the Mountain
    • Wheels of Steel
    • Below Bucharest
    • Lynx World
    • Nyet Problem
    • The Flying Finn
    • Tilting at Windmills
    • True Scotsman

Silver
    • Hard hat Zone
    • Thousand-Cloud Village
    • El Tomate
    • Medieval Flair
    • Lights, Camera, Action
    • Canyon Crash
    • Happy Camper
    • Lumbering On
    • MX and the City
    • Chinese Cliffs
    • Grave of Giants
    • Ship It!
    • Spirit of the Mountain
    • Below Bucharest
    • Nyet Problem
    • The Flying Finn
    • Tilting at Windmills
    • True Scotsman

Gold
    • Alcatraz
    • Unhappy Camper
    • Venice Beach 360
    • A Pretty Good Wall
    • Angkor What?
    • Vietnam Vaults
    • Ruined Run
    • Siberian Express
    • Greek Grapes
    • I Fell Tower
    • One Man's Trash
    • Pripyat
    • UK Up
    • Lumbering On
    • Grave of Giants
    • Seoul Searching
    • Chinese Gauntlet
    • Temple of Trials

Platinum
    • Firebase Faceplant
    • Finnish Flash
    • Moto Gladiators
    • Lumber Party
    • Siberian Skies
    • Alcatraz
    • Frozen Fjord
    • Tilting at Windmills
    • Black Gold
    • Rally of the Kings
    • Seoul Searching
    • Shanghai Scrapers
    • Stonehenge
    • Toxic Behavior
    • Wingman
    • Ever, Everer, Everest
    • Ski or Don't
    • Temple of Trials

Diamond
    • Bucharest Breakdown
    • Frozen Fjord
    • Greek Grapes
    • One Man's Trash
    • Pripyat
    • Siberian Express
    • Chinese Gauntlet
    • Shanghai Scrapers
    • Toxic Behavior
    • Container Cowboy
    • Ever, Everer, Everest
    • Hollywood Hills
    • Liberty Station
    • Nippon Springs
    • Venice Beach 1080
    • Red Steel
    • Ski or Don't
    • UK Upper

1 people found this helpful

Silver tier should only have a choice between easy and medium tracks, save beginner and easy tracks for bronze tier. I'm currently Gold Tier and 9 out of 10 races are beginner/easy tracks. It makes the game incredibly boring and I'm sure many other players feel the same way.
     3 people found this helpful

Why make this so needlessly complicated, I really don't get it... Just base the score you get on the time you get on the track...

The way the system "works" now is encouraging people to NOT play. I highly doubt that in the future, this system is even gonna work... When there are even fewer players left.

That's a terrible idea Liq, and that seems to be how it works now. If you underperform, but still get first, you can lose points. Rating should not be based on the time you take, only on your position in the race.

Glicko is a good system, but the way its implemented seems to be wrong. It should be impossible to lose points when you get first place.

2nd match, everyone crossed the finish line and we're all just sitting here. Five minutes waiting for next track... actually kinda fun !

no way to exit out either... 10 minutes now, guess i'll just restart the game, fusion style

The system makes a lot of sense, however I have 3 concerns:

1. The main reward is a part of a gold suit for each division gained. Very few if any will get the full suit. That's not much of a carrot to encourage people to play.

2. People are reporting coming first place in all 3 races and still losing XP at the end. That shouldn't be possible. Even if the game can't match the person against high ranked players, it's silly to be punished for coming first. That should be capped to zero gain or loss.

3. The maps chosen are based on the lowest ranked player. I understand not wanting to alienate the worst player in the group, however it's no fun for the better players in the lobby to not see harder tracks. Could there be some compromise there? Maybe something like award a point for each division per player, then choose the playlist based on something below the median, like say where 66% of players are above that point and 33% below, something like that.

Is the multiplayer cross-platform?

The Glicko system works fine with skill games where 2 players or 2 teams duel each other and your own performance interacts with the other's performance and the match making system can actually balance the teams.. This is not the case for Trials Games. Here we have up to 8 individual contestants, they aren't interacting at all and there is no balancing mechanism in the match making system.

For each track there should be a small range of points you can gain or lose. for example: For placing first there could be a minimum of +3 points and a maximum of +24 point (3 * # players). For placing last you could lose between 0 and 16 (2 * # players) points.

Also all players should have started in bronze and should have had to work their way up (this means the total amount of skill points should increase slightly over time. Players belonging in bronze would have an actual incentive to play then.

I've been a bit surprised that there are no platin players yet but seeing a top player losing 400 points just because of a single flawed run, I understand why that is the case. The system just doesn't allow you to climb further up. So staying in gold seems fine so far until the system is fixed.

There's no reason that interactivity would affect the rating system, all that is needed is the ability to compare performance, which you can do with times. A race of 8 players gives each player 7 opponents to perform better or worse than.

A system that just hands out points for wins only serves to tally how much multiplayer someone has played and does nothing to give meaningful measurement of skill that can be compared against other players.

Players will be expected to gain or lose lots of points at the beginning of a season when people's true ratings have not yet been arrived at, and the occurrence of lower rated players beating higher ones will be frequent. That being said, there should still not be any case where winning all your races loses you points, so there is still something wrong with the implementation.

Maybe they put the "goal" of the ranking system so that all players meet in the "middle". That's why everybody is and stays silver/gold.