impcaeaug's Avatar Member

Assassin's Creed set in Roman Italy in the Early 4th Century.

I hope the next game will be set in Roman Italy during the early 4th century. Since it is when the city of Rome
    reaches the height of it's development. Many famous Roman Baths, Triumphal Arches, the Aurelian Walls,
    Circuses, Basilicas and other buildings/monuments have been already built by this time.

If you do 1st century Rome, many of these buildings wouldn't exist or they wouldn't have been renovated. The story
    for a game set in 4th century Roman Italy would have a good base in history. The Roman Empire had been split up
    into four administrative divisions each ruled by two Augusti and two deputies known as Caesars. But the tetrarchy
    would collapse in about two decades after it's establishment.

Map of the First Tetrarchy:

The story would begin perhaps during the end of the Principate known for being more Republican in appearance and
    the beginning of the Bureaucratic and Autocratic Dominate. One other starting setting could be in the late stages
    of the Crisis of the Third Century during the reign of Aurelian or some other Emperor. The story would see the
    great persecution of Christians living in the Roman Empire, the fall of the Tetrarchy and the rise of Constantine
    the Great.

The Roman Emperor Constantine would lead an army into Roman Italy in AD 312 and he defeated the Emperor
    in Italy and Africa, Maxentius. His Italian Campaign would ultimately end in the famous battle of the Milvian Bridge
    in AD 312.

Constantine I:

Maxentius:

Constantine would convert to Christianity through a series of events that occurred in the invasion of Italy and
    perhaps through the influence of his mother who was Christian. The story would probably end in AD 313 with
    the passing of the Edict of Mediolanum.

The 4th century Roman Army did not look like the 1st and 2nd century Roman Army. They had a different
    ranking system, different armor and weapons. But Roman Society and Clothing was still very much the same
    for a second century Plebeian and Senator. The Government under the Dominate would be strange for a
    Senator living in the reign of Antoninus Pius in the mid second century.

The Roman Army replaced the Classic Shorter Gladius and replaced it with the longer Spatha.

Roman Legionaries did not wear the famous Gallic and Italic types of Helmets. In the early 4th century, they
    would wear Ridge Helmets and probably Niederbieber and Heddernheim Helmets as well that were used in
    the late second and third centuries.

Intercisa II:

Burgh Castle:

Deurne:

Berkasovo:

Neiderbieber:

Heddernheim:

Intercisa IV:

Deir El-Medina Spangenhelm:

They also used shoes and boots such as Calcei, Campagi and Carbatinae besides the classic Caligae. Roman Legionaries
    also used Oval Shields instead of the classic Rectangular Scutum which would replace the Scutum. Chain Mail and Scale
    Armor would have been the most commonly used armor. Lorica Segmentata could have still been in use but it would be
    uncommon since it was hard to maintain.

4th Century Roman Legionaries:

Late 4th or Early 5th century Roman Soldiers in Winter.

Praetorian Guard Signifer, early 4th century:

Roman Officers and two Legionaries in Luxor, a Temple in Egypt that had also been made a Fortress by the Roman Military.
    Perhaps a sequel to Origins could be set in 4th century Roman Egypt.

Late 4th century Roman Cavalry in Roman Britain:

Depiction of the Eastern part of the Roman Army in the Battle of Hadrianopolis in
    AD 378 with the Emperor Valens dead in the battlefield:

I discussed Roman Armor a lot since the stereotypical depiction of a Roman Legionary is a 1st century Roman Solider.

There could be seven potential factions in this game.

The Cohortes Vigilum or the Vigiles.
    The Cohortes Urbanae or the Urban Cohorts.
    The Praetorian Guard
    The Gallic Army of Constantine
    The Italian Army of Maxentius
    Bandits
    Germanic Barbarians? They could be introduced as a faction that raids Roman Territory occasionally if a map
    that includes the entire Diocese of Italy is used for the game. Since the Border would be the Rhine River.
     1 people found this helpful

I hope they go back 800 years from Odyssey and set it during what Homer writes about in the Iliad.

Edgemoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Or the logical start of the human rebellion against the Isu ... or perhaps during the solar event that started their demise

UbiCosmos's Avatar Community Representative
    Hello slapnut1207,

This is a really awesome idea! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It looks like you put a lot of time into making this post as well, and I appreciate you including all the pictures. It really helps us to envision your idea. Italy would definitely be an amazing place to visit!

I am also going to move your thread to the general AC forum, since this is not directly about Odyssey.
     2 people found this helpful

I really like the idea of visiting the the Roman Empire. I have always wanted that.

A lot of people argue that we have been there (in Rome) already with Ezio. I do not agree. The Roman Empire is very different than Renaissance Rome and it is over 1,000 years before, because Rome fell in 476 A.D. Actually it is exactly 1,000 years. AC2 started 1476 A.D.

P.S. The Roman Empire would make a nice trilogy with Origins and Odyssey.

UbiSnout's Avatar Community Representative
    Originally Posted by slapnut1207 Go to original post
    [SIZE=2]I hope the next game will be set in Roman Italy during the early 4th century. Since it is when the city of Rome
    reaches the height of it's development. Many famous Roman Baths, Triumphal Arches, the Aurelian Walls, Circuses,

Thanks for the response!

Developers, if you decide to make a game about Ancient Rome don't forget about Jesus! As historic figure.

If Ubisoft does release a game set in at least the mid first century, Christianity will have a presence in Roman Italy. Especially in the 3rd and 4th centuries.