View Poll Results: Do You Want Beyond Good & Evil 2 To Be Playable Offline?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

98 69.01%
  • No

9 6.34%
  • Both

35 24.65%
    Please please please please please devs allow offline play this game sounds so good and when I heard they said it was only online I was so disappointed I 100% hope they allow offline play and online
     1 people found this helpful

Community Manager . please Give the result of this poll to dev team

GarretDanilo's Avatar Member
    I think will be useless, have you noticed that here on the forum the active space monkeys are no more than 20-30 members?
    Probably Ubisoft think that the millions of gamers out there still want this game but if they shipped out BGE2 as it is now will be a big failure.

The obvious answer is 'Yes', of course I want this game to be playable offline.

But I don't think any of us can play judge, jury and executioner because we don't have all the details.

It would be great if the Montpellier team gave us a little bit of a truthful statement on why they've made these decisions, and what their goals and visions are for the game. That will then either put everyone at ease, or (in the case of those who a really attacking Ubi hard for this) put the nail in the coffin, and those people can leave and stop calling the game fit to burn all over the Internet.

We don't know if this was a decision by the developers or, you know, the guys in business suits, and we'll probably never know, but it changes the context massively.

And although I agree it's good to let Ubisoft know now just you feel about this from the little info we have, I'd rather wait for more details before jumping to emotional conclusions.
     4 people found this helpful

Legion-495's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by IRISNetwork Go to original post

But I don't think any of us can play judge, jury and executioner because we don't have all the details.

It would be great if the Montpellier team gave us a little bit of a truthful statement on why they've made these decisions, and what their goals and visions are for the game. That will then either put everyone at ease, or (in the case of those who a really attacking Ubi hard for this) put the nail in the coffin, and those people can leave and stop calling the game fit to burn all over the Internet.

We don't know if this was a decision by the developers or, you know, the guys in business suits, and we'll probably never know, but it changes the context massively.

And although I agree it's good to let Ubisoft know now just you feel about this from the little info we have, I'd rather wait for more details before jumping to emotional conclusions.
    I am waiting hard for that statement. It definitely caused me to go in full alert mode about the development

Always-online requirement

Hi, space monkeys and everyone else. Although I'm really disappointed with the move towards the always-online requirement, I would like to share my experience which, funnily enough, is linked with three Ubisoft's games.

Sorry if I say something weird, English is not my native tongue. I read here more than I write, but I'll do my best.

- Stupid choices, nostalgic dreams

Some time ago (it was 2003, maybe?) I was far from home, enjoying holiday, when I saw a PC game in a little shop. I had played it before, briefly, in the home of a friend, and I was eager to play it again. No, it wasn't that game. It actually was Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Back then, I didn't use my non-remarkable PC for playing computer games, but I couldn't resist, took the (stupid) risk and bought it.

Since I didn't upgrade nor replace my computer for years (I think until almost 2009) and I couldn't return the game, what I'm about to tell is, much to my shame, my whole experience with PoP: TSoT for a long time.

After inserting the CD in the drive, I started the installation process, where promotional images slided one after another. Just one of them stuck in my head (I can't say why), starring a journalist wearing green clothes, with a camera and determination in her eyes in a world of intrigue and war (this is the first time I knew about Beyond Good and Evil). I didn't know then, but Prince of Persia was made with a version of Jade, the engine of BG&E. But returning to the issue, after minutes of impatience the process finished and I started the game.

The good prince was in a glitched semi-texturized balcony. I could move, sure. But for unknown reasons, I couldn't left it. Oh, I tried it, of course. And reinstalled it. Twice or thrice. All but accept that my computer was garbage and didn't meet the requirements. Stupid, stupid...

Well, it was my fault. I was more a game console player. I lived with that (Jade the journalist and a glitched balcony). I even get Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, its sequel, on PS2. And played it. And then, one day, I really needed a better computer, so I bought it too.

As a nostalgic dream come true, I finally managed to play The Sands of Time. I enjoyed every second. Wow, I want to replay it as I write this, don't you? All worked out in the end, and I'm happy because, besides my stupid and impulsive buy, I'm still able to install my legit copy of the game and play it more than fifteen years later.

- Beyond Good and Evil after all

Someday, Ubisoft released an HD port of BG&E. As I said, those promotional images stuck in my head and was all I had, like a splinter in my heart. When Ubi also uploaded a demo, I couldn't resist it again.

I played it, and it was like I imagined it (at least, as similar as a couple of promotional images can be to a real game). There was just one problem: I never went to the store and bought it (ouch!). I can't remember exactly what happened, but I regret it so much because it was never released on PC nor the next console generation. I missed my chance, I guess. That's life.

But you know what? In 2017, in the E3, something wonderful happened. Beyond Good and Evil 2 was officially announced (again?). Nothing would stop the game from being marvelous and succeed. I just knew it. I started to search more information about BG&E and (this time with a gaming PC) bought BG&E on Steam (I dislike real world piracy, although it seems I like fictitious one ).

And, how to say it... well. While I recommend the game, I can't say for sure that it will be playable on your computer if you buy it. Common. It's an old game right now and as I got a lot of glitches (besides PoP is played fine in my computer), I had to turn off a lot of hardware accelerated features, seeing how the performance dropped a lot (even at low quality). Most of the time the game rendering jumps a lot, making it almost (but not quite) entirely unplayable.

While I would buy BG&E HD if were ported or republished, I played it from beginning to end in such terms. And you know what? I loved it immediately. It's a pity to think how culture and history tends to disappear, but with games is terrible because they are particularly doomed by obsolescency. However, I'm glad I were able to play it (and replay it), maybe not in an ideal way. It was very nostalgic for me, and I would have wished to play it as seamless (excuse the pun) as PoP: TSoT.

- The Great Escape

So here I am, it's 2019 and I'm playing Rayman 2. I didn't play it for a long time, before buying The Sands of Time, actually. The reason? I can't tell why, but it came to my mind, and I started to looking for it, in a box. I knew it was inside. Its and old legit copy, I can't remember when I bought it, and I'm amazed, but it seems to work on modern computers. I'm spending a great time (no pun intended this time), and no one will move me from here for the next hour. I stopped a little bit to wrote this post and put all this out of my mind.

If you read until here, I think you will undertand why I'll say what I'll say. I wish to the team good luck, heartfelt. My intention was play BG&E2 online from day one, but that is not the case anymore. I don't think this will make a difference, it is not a boicot, at all. I really want the game succeed. But I wonder what will happen when a player (going through the same thing as me with TSoT and BG&E) discover the game in five-seven years and try to play it. And it is just that, from experience, something that brokes this gamer heart.

TL;DR:
    In short, I would play it online, but I won't play it at all with the always-online requirement, due to personal reasons. I wish good luck to the team.

I'll be reading you soon.

Soulid_Snake's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Legion-495 Go to original post
    Games as a service will totally get me away from games.
    It's not even called single-player anymore, but, "Solo Mode" instead. Even then, it requires online engagement.

I have nothing against online games, but this isn't Beyond Good & Evil. I would have even been happy with the online aspect being a separate mode.

Originally Posted by IRISNetwork Go to original post

Iris, this was definitely a business decision, no doubt.

I'm gonna start supporting companies like CD Projekt Red, which are far and few between in this industry, they actually care about their fans.

I can only hope they realize that the always Online DRM was a mistake and they are reworking the game right now, to be playable offline.

I would say yes but for the right reason.
    The online is not a problem, and I say this even if all the games I have played so far were offline. It isn't true that online games means necessarily bad games (as I read in some comments). I think that the BG&E2 team would not allow the launch of the game if this one were bad and also Ubisoft wouldn't allow it because a it invested a lot of money in the development. Moreover it was Yves Guillemot (I think he is a good boss,but I don't know what developers think about that ahah) to ask Michel to develop the game.
    Having said that, I think that a person should be able to choose to play offline, maybe because he doesn't have an internet connection or he can't use that and also for the reason shared by @mike.space in his post.