20. You may not vote on this poll

1 5.00%

4 20.00%

1 5.00%

9 45.00%

2 10.00%

0 0%

3 15.00%

Which Settlers is the best (feedback topic)

On Reddit you see poeple who are talking about witch settlers is the best. Is this feedback something for the New Settlers? See:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaseBuildin...e_is_the_best/

What do you think?

gillesv38's Avatar Junior Member
    For me, Settlers 4 is the best, then there are Settlers 3 and 2 (original or 10th anniversary).
    I bought and played Settlers 2, 3, 4 (original) and Settlers 4 History Edition.
    I tried demos of 5, 6, 7. I was very disappointed, it looked more Age of Empires than Settlers to me : fast paced, easy to get resources, to build.
    I like slow pace of Settlers (2,3,4), when you build too many structures at the same time and nothing completes and you sometimes have to demolish a less important building to recover wood/stone (and you usually end up reloading a previous save).

And if I remember well, 7 was the worse; instead of chopping down trees, you were collecting wood from some icon.

sobcz's Avatar Junior Member
    I never played Settlers 1, I have it now as History Edition, so I'll give it a try in future, but I'm not sure if it will still be fun.

Settlers 2-4, even though there were some changes, were evolution of the same thing. Unsuprisingly, Settlers 4 turned out to be the best of them (computers took huge steps back then, allowed new things to be done and it shows). For me, Settlers game was defined by a) detailed system where you could see every single piece of raw material being collected, transported, processed and final product used, and b) simple world where everyone was equal and working hand in hand to reach the goal.

Settlers 5 changed everything. No more detailed resources, and everything started to revolve around basically immortal heroes. It wasn't exactly bad game, it was still fun to play, but it felt nothing like previous Settlers. Settlers 6 got a little bit of old Settlers feel back with resource system, but it's still different. I don't know why, but the heroes and attempts to have deeper stories just don't do it for me in this type of game. I liked the previous simple world better. I didn't even try Settlers 7 when it came out, I only got it now as History Edition and didn't get a chance to play it yet, so I don't know what happens there.

The Settlers 6 History Edition

I have always played and loved The Settlers 4, because of the option to let the pc make random maps to your specifications. Then I started to play The Settlers 6 and love it. I only wish it also had a random map creation option like that of The Settlers 4

Oh Settlers 1 is still a lot of fun, and still the original and best of the series.
    Where else can you create a "waterworld" complete with rapid transport rowboats, 16 billion different maps using the seeding system?
    And, of course, it remains the only Settlers that ever came with a proper manual, something sadly lacking in games today.
     1 people found this helpful

I remember playing Settlers 1 (Serf City) back in the day, before I was a teenager and I think I got to the last map but never finished it. I have my Settlers 2 CD still in storage and still love the soundtrack that came with it. Settlers 3 changed a lot and I think I stopped there so if people are saying 4 was the best I will have to give it a go.
    I played the Settlers Online but got bored of it quickly.

My favorite Settlers game is Rise of Cultures (not available in English), which takes The Settlers II to a new level, which until this game was released was my favorite. The different cultures you can play are vastly different from each other, while keeping the gameplay of The Settlers II. On the downside it does have a stupid campaign, maybe the worst campaign I have ever seen in a game)

The worst Settlers game is without doubt Heritage of Kings. If I remember correctly it took everything that defined a Settlers game and threw it away. You no longer had the "What you see is what you get" part when it came to resources, they introduced heroes (something that I have never liked in real time strategy games and probably never will) and the AI was literally non-existent (I don't have time to play multiplayer, so this just killed it for me)

Of course I have fond memories of the very first Settlers game, but Veni Vidi Vici improved everything from the original, so there is no reason going back. The only thing I wish to see a return of (as an option for some maps) is the "No end of the map", meaning that if you had an enemy to the east, you could just expand to the west until you reached the other side of the enemy. Kinda like if each map was just a small globe. Unrealistic, but fun. Of course this should only be an optional setting for when starting a new game

Serf City

The best is Serf City (Settlers 1). Clean, tight and pure optimizing fun.

HgizmO's Avatar Junior Member
    Not sure if all remember when Settlers 1 came out on Amiga and later on PC. I do remember really well and after intro of the game I did fall in love. The game play was much better than Dune 2 or any other games available at that time. Finishing all settlers missions ware challenging specially mission 31 if I good remember. One bad move and you are done! No save game option! That was really settlers feeling. The Settlers 2 Gold edition was imo one of the best games from whole series. Looking at progression of this The Settlers I can see more like its should be than it was in 3 to 7th. All about settlers was sitting on the front of the computer and playing hours with my friend on share screen of 15' monitor and two mouses plugged in to one PC! Yes that was multiplayer-co-op experience which I never forget from this game. Looking at your farms growing and then converting it to bread which went to miners who dig gold for you for your golden armor soldiers. All was about tactical attacks on opponent buildings to damage his economy to the stage where he couldn't make more soldiers...good times.

Now this days player base is different and its hard to satisfy everyone. Settlers is the game which aim for specific player base and it's not for everyone. We need to remember this days a lot of games after hype die after 2 months. Heroes Of Might and Magic 3 is example when game can have years but it's still playable by many people but for sure not everyone. Don't think this game will be like Fortnight or any other commercial games. Settlers and HoMaM are games for specific audience and I think it should stay like that.

So far coming settlers looks like I would imagine where with new graphic and game mechanics its base on the roots of Settlers 1 or 2. I'm glad devs are doing good job to try bring us the game we all here are waiting for.

One of my favorite memories from The Settlers 1 was using the cheat, where you can connect your roads to the other player, if they have a long road without flags along the border. Place a flag along their road on your side, then connect the roads to your flag (can't remember the specifics on how), then just start building a small town on your side, with their workers and their resources. When everything is built and they have sent some workers there, then remove the connection to their side and connect to your road network again. Free buildings and free workers, yay
    One thing I miss from earlier Settlers games was the diggers who had to level the terrain before the building can get built