heywooood's Avatar Senior Member

Since 4.08 this planes' FM is vastly improved.

Anyone else flying an old favorite these days?

And also, How many planes do you fly most regularly?

In other words - if you had to select your first 5 planes...which ones are they?

For myself it is (in no particular order)

The Gladiator (J8A)
    The Wildcat (any)
    The Bf109(e version mostly)
    The Bf110G2
    The I16 (both)

There are many others - but those are my top 5

Since 4.08 this planes' FM is vastly improved.

Anyone else flying an old favorite these days?

And also, How many planes do you fly most regularly?

In other words - if you had to select your first 5 planes...which ones are they?

For myself it is (in no particular order)

The Gladiator (J8A)
    The Wildcat (any)
    The Bf109(e version mostly)
    The Bf110G2
    The I16 (both)

There are many others - but those are my top 5

My top 5:

IL-2 (any variant really)
    TB-3 (5,000kg+ bombload )
    He-111H-6 (torp loadout)
    I-152 (8 rockets, and it's a cheeky thing!)
    Bf-109 (either E or G-2)

PF_Coastie's Avatar Senior Member
    P47D27
    Spit IXe
    Yak3
    Hellcat
    Mustang III

If I had to choose older plane it would be Yak 1b.

FM in the bufalo turned really good in 4.71
    i dogfight with it with a friend and its a hoot
    also because the wide view the cockpit gives

I mainly fly the Emils but this week have been dabbling in the Tomahawk IIa and the P40E. I may get adventurous and branch out into the 109 F-series but I have my doubts about them, to say nothing of the horrid G's and, shudder Kurfurst. Must try the P-38 now that it's supposed to be all uber and everything.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Mustang
    Corsair
    P-40
    P-47
    F-6

The next 5.....
    P-38
    Las
    P-39
    Me-109s
    Yaks

I dont fly Japanese planes much.... no particular reason.. just havent gotten around to it much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by papotex:
    FM in the bufalo turned really good in 4.71
    i dogfight with it with a friend and its a hoot
    also because the wide view the cockpit gives </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - I used that plane alot just before PF was released and before we knew whether or not there would be a landing signal officer (LSO) included on the carriers....sadly they were not.

But the little Buffalo was a fun little plane to fly and with all those early USN skins out there courtesy of our community skin artists...it looks cool too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
    Mustang
    Corsair
    P-40
    P-47
    F-6

The next 5.....
    P-38
    Las
    P-39
    Me-109s
    Yaks

I dont fly Japanese planes much.... no particular reason.. just havent gotten around to it much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bearcat - yer almost a US only kinda guy - looks like the 109 and the Yaks are just tokens...lol

Some of the Japanes planes are alot of fun - like the Rufe....you haven't landed until you've landed on water. Try going up on the Rufe one time...

The point I guess I was going for here is that - with all these planes to fly, and all the oppinions about the 'what ifers' and the 'fantasy stuff' and whatnot....I'll bet most people have only a handfull of planes they actually fly with regularity.
    Another handful they fly with rare to medium regularity, and a bunch that they have flown once or never - either just to see what other people are talking about or because they refuse to fly "enemy" planes or "fantasy stuff"

That leads to the last point - that some people "feel" ('cause Tagert loves that term) that there are too many planes in this sim - and that that causes there to be less fidelity to all of them...sort of a watering down or averaging out of the global FM's in the sim....

Personally - I think that inspite of the numbers - all of these planes have plenty of individuality and seperation of characteristics between them. And - since the community is so large and diverse, you would have a hard time paring it down to everyones satisfaction, no?

For my part - I'm glad that Oleg was ambitious and made this effort instead of just focusing on one or two planes from each participant country. It made this sim extraordinary didn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
    ...with all these planes to fly, and all the oppinions about the 'what ifers' and the 'fantasy stuff' and whatnot....I'll bet most people have only a handfull of planes they actually fly with regularity.
    Another handful they fly with rare to medium regularity, and a bunch that they have flown once or never - either just to see what other people are talking about or because they refuse to fly "enemy" planes or "fantasy stuff"

Personally - I think that in spite of the numbers - all of these planes have plenty of individuality and seperation of characteristics between them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree that most have just a handfull of planes they fly regularly. However, the beauty of this sim and the vast number of flyables is the opportunity to give other planes a chance and find out which planes we like best by flying them, instead of making the decision by some other, less pure method.

I'm maybe not stating my point as clearly as I'm thinking it, but I've gotten a kick out of the planes I've been surprised by. I was most surprised by how fun it is to fly the little I-16. I'd also given the He 111 a shot, and decided that the Il-2 was about as big of plane as I cared to fly. Then, I took the A-20C for a hop, and it turned out to be one of my favourites as well. Other favourites for me are the IARs and the La-5FN. I proably wouldn't have bought a sim that featured just those planes, but now I think it would be hard to buy a sim without my new favourites. I think that's one of the best things about this sim; it brings awareness and intrest to many about planes they never would have looked at otherwise.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
    Some of the Japanes planes are alot of fun - like the Rufe....you haven't landed until you've landed on water. Try going up on the Rufe one time... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's another great thing about this sim. There are so many "novelty" planes available to fly, including the Rufe, the rocket planes, the Mistel, all the "what-if" planes, etc. So many of these are just a hoot to take up for fun.

Personally - I think that inspite of the numbers - all of these planes have plenty of individuality and seperation of characteristics between them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Agreed 100%
    I'm glad that Oleg was ambitious and made this effort instead of just focusing on one or two planes from each participant country. It made this sim extraordinary didn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Agreed 100%

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►