I don't play For Honor for fun anymore

This is not a "you ruined the game I'm uninstalling post," but it is close to that.

I used to play FH for at least an hour pretty much every day from Feb 2017 - Sept 2018. I took a month or so break to do Mass Effect Andromeda in 2017, and I rolled back my FH play recently when AC: Odyssey came out. But ever since Marching Fire dropped, I've been unable to play FH for longer than 20-30 minutes. Now, I just play when I literally have 15-20 minutes to kill before going out or eating dinner or waiting for a TV show, etc.. I no longer just wake up and want to load up the game for fun.

The removal of gear stats is a big reason. I just don't feel like the time I put into my heroes has been rewarded at all. The perks are stupidly situational AND somehow make the Dominion experience less fair than it was previously (you can look at my posting history for my anecdotal evidence of this).

But really, this was the final strike in a long line of blunders, frustrations, and uncertainties.

The game has been out for close to two years, and it is still riddled with balance problems. The competitive community (and even the casual community) is fairly uniform on what needs reworking, nerfing, and buffing. But we rarely see that advice adhered to in patch notes, we even sometimes see the opposite of these suggestions (like nerfing Ara and Shug).

And I am tired of having massive mechanical/gameplay/etc. changes every 3-4 months. Some of them have been warranted, but I'm just not interested in relearning how to play 3-4 times a year. The game has gone from turtle meta to light spam meta, which isn't much better. t I'm a casual player who plays for fun (or used to at least). I can block 500ms lights semi-reliably, but I don't enjoy that being the predominant form of fighting in many Dominion games. Turtle meta wasn't fun either, but at least it required you to use your mind rather than mashing light spam chains. I don't have a good solution to this, I know I'm sounding contradictory in saying I don't like either. I really think FH needs to be scrapped and remade with keeping the Art of Battle concept, but with almost everything else being different.

This may sound oddly personal and trivial, but I am sick of all of the colors on my screen with charged attacks and dodge attacks and weird symbols etc.. I don't know why these were added to these attacks post-release. It just looks gimmicky and less like the medieval brawler I thought it would be/it was supposed to be, and more like a Tekken match done from 3rd person view.

I've also become increasingly concerned with how Ubi's "games as a service" philosophy has affected development/updates. I used to really like this idea for gaming, but now I'm not so sure. Yes, I know the Art and Balance and Design and Networking team are separate. But money is money. If you spend X amount of dollars on developing Marching Fire, that's X amount of money not being spent on quality of life updates like bug fixing and balance changes.

I think the vast majority of the community would agree we want less new content and more upkeep of the old/current content. Perhaps that doesn't sound as profitable to Ubisoft. I'm not criticizing necessarily, business is business whether its video games, cars, etc..

I know game developers are just people too, trying their best. And perhaps even some junior level devs are frustrated with these decisions like we are. But at the end of the day, FH is no longer fun for me. Glad people are still enjoying it. But I will have to hope for new IPs to fill this void in my gamer life.
     6 people found this helpful

Things end.

Im still playing RDR2 and having a blast. I play one match of Breach and im annoyed. So if i can choose between having a blast and getting annoyed, the choice is easy.

Lightspam.
    Lag.
    Terrible teammates.
    Gank Squads.
    Unbalanced Heroes.
    No reason to level up.
    Tons of hatemail (eventhough that's actually quite funny)

There's no reason to play. Maybe if a new hero comes out i'll play again for the hell of it.
     6 people found this helpful

Play 4vs bots breach mode thatís what Iím doing from now on itís more fun and not so frustrating .

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic but how is Odyssey? I've only played Black Flag but i loved it, even tho the difficulty was pretty pathetic 😅

Originally Posted by SicKno86 Go to original post
    Things end.
    Yes, it's saddening.

Originally Posted by Blitzwarrior771 Go to original post
    Play 4vs bots breach mode thatís what Iím doing from now on itís more fun and not so frustrating .
    Hah. If I wanted to put a hole the wall here I'd play vs. bots. The bot AI is laughable and has been for pretty much the game's entire existence. Playing vs. bots just doesn't feel as good as playing against a real person. Glad it's working for you though.

Originally Posted by kristopee Go to original post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic but how is Odyssey? I've only played Black Flag but i loved it, even tho the difficulty was pretty pathetic 
    Very good. It is not a Witcher killer, but it's a pretty good action RPG. It is not by any means a full RPG as some claim, but it's a good step toward that. Odyssey is worth the price tag. There are some problems, but it's overall a very good game. If you like BF and found it too easy, you should like Odyssey as it's similarly naval focused and is a bit harder due to the new combat system.

I feel for you. Personally I have more fun now with for honor than I ever have. This is due to the removal of gear stats Which it combined with the deminishing returns on hit stun means 4's are a viable place for me to play in now. Breach despite it's many flaws is still probably the best mode this game has ever had. And the new heros are all very good. But not brokenly so. It gives me hope for the design of future heros. Something I didn't experience at all even with Shaman.

Originally Posted by Knight_Raime Go to original post
    I feel for you. Personally I have more fun now with for honor than I ever have. This is due to the removal of gear stats Which it combined with the deminishing returns on hit stun means 4's are a viable place for me to play in now. Breach despite it's many flaws is still probably the best mode this game has ever had. And the new heros are all very good. But not brokenly so. It gives me hope for the design of future heros. Something I didn't experience at all even with Shaman.
    I seem to be on the same page as KR lately. I just play bots...it just made me able to have fun again instead of getting so frustrated. Ive accepted that im not sure a unique game like this can ever truly be ďbalancedĒ...just like games such as overwatch etc cant really be.

ChampionRuby50g's Avatar Senior Member
    Iím the same. I play max 5 games of breach a week, less if Iím not home on weekends. I donít play Dominion at all, and all this is coming from a player whose been playing since day one. Itís just not enjoyable anymore. The idea behind the game is amazing, the execution is terrible though. With BF5 been released soon, and RDR2 been out with online coming soon, itís safe to say I wonít be playing FH again for a long time, at least until the devs acknowledge mistakes and pick their pace up. Iím sick of patches been as frequent as solar eclipses.

I used to compete my orders. Now I can hardly be bothered to log on. Resub my champ status? You're dreaming ubi. Find yourself a new game director
     2 people found this helpful

I play mostly PvAI now, and jump into PvP to see if I can still beat the Wu Lin with my Nobushi. Regardless of the outcome I go back to PvAI.

If they for some odd reason removed PvAI I probably would stop playing this game.

Constantly having to react to fast light attacks and long iframe side dodges, along with ganks that causes your indicator to have a panic attack topped off with attacks going through my block makes playing PvP on console really stressful and frustrating.
     1 people found this helpful