cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Originally Posted by ArisM1 Go to original post
    I don't know the word declension, so if I've misunderstood your question let me know. "παντός" means "of all" in this case or "of everything".
    Hmm, I only took a semester of Ancient Greek, so I may have remembered the wrong word for it.

Basically, it's a conjugation of a noun, if that makes any more sense

Either way, sounds like that's not the case. Thanks for clarifying!

Originally Posted by ArisM1 Go to original post
    As a Greek, perhaps I can offer some help

Ancient Greek used different tone symbols than modern Greek, so I can't write it completely correct with my keyboard, but I can certainly write the words with the correct spelling.
    It is: "Γαία, μάτηρ παντός, χαίρε".

• Γαία means earth, though here it probably refers to the Goddess Γαία from Greek mythology. In case "αι" confuses you, in Greek "αι" is sometimes used in place of "ε". In speaking both sound the same, but the writing is different.

• μάτηρ παντός means mother of all. In the game they usually call mothers "μάτερ", which is not wrong exactly, but more usually we use "μήτηρ", pronounced as "mee-teer". The modern word is "μητέρα" (mother).

• χαίρε means hello usually. In this case, Alexios/Kassandra knows death is imminent and the word takes the meaning "I greet you" towards mother Earth.

I hope I helped a little!
    Φιλε «μάτερ» είναι κλητική. Όπως το «πάτερ».

To the OP:

Γαία, μάτερ παντός, χαίρε.

Originally Posted by Shadow-X5452 Go to original post
    Hi everybody, this is the first time I write here. So, as you can see from the title, this post will contain a spoiler about the end of the game. Here it goes:
    I have been searching around on the internet but I haven't found anything about Alexios/Kassandra last sentence in the present. When the protagonist gives Layla the staff, his (i played as Alexios) last sentence is "ancient Greek: earth, mother of all, I greet you". Now, I've been searching for this sentence in actual ancient Greek with its alphabet, I think it pronounces like "Gea, Mater pandos, chiare". I've searched on ancient Greek dictionaries, the earth is "ge", which here is "Gea" because of Greek declension, "pan" means everything" but he says something like "pandos" so I don't know, and "chaire" is said throughout the game everytime he greets anyone, so this was simple. Is there anybody here who has studied ancient greek who can help me write this sentence in actual ancient Greek? I've only studied Latin (I'm Italian), so I have no knowledge in ancient Greek. Thank you!
    In Ancient Greek we have five cases for nouns and names. When you use a translator you will get the nominative case. But the sentence you want translated does not use nominative cases.

Originally Posted by Nerteros Go to original post
    In Ancient Greek we have five cases for nouns and names. When you use a translator you will get the nominative case. But the sentence you want translated does not use nominative cases.
    To be honest I've heard this form many times for "father" as "πάτερ", but "μάτερ" is not a word I've heard often and it sounded a little off to me.

Thank you for stepping in though, I didn't consider what you said in the previous post. It's been quite a while since my school days and even then, math was always my strongest subject

"Γη, μητέρα όλων, σε χαιρετώ" that's the good one? Apparently "Γαία, μάτηρ παντός, χαίρε" was translated word by word and its between the lines of gaia, motherf...er, enjoy