bitebug2003's Avatar Global Moderator

Assassin's Creed Odyssey Community Impressions/Feedback thread [NO SPOILERS]

Hi Everyone

Assassin's Creed Odyssey launches worldwide in 2 days time, and some of you have taken advantage of the 3 day Early Access.

Feel free to use this thread to express your thoughts and impressions of the game.

If you do want to post spoilers please use
    Spoiler:  Show
    The Spoiler tags

Thanks
     5 people found this helpful

DrinkinMyStella's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi, Great thread.

Playing on PS4 Pro

Pros:

-Visually good looking environment
    -Combat system works great and chains are more fluid than origins and counter attacking works well. Love the new ability moves i.e. Sparta kick, bull charge etc and its really fun to use them during chains.
    -Love that you can choose between guided and exploration mode.
    -customisation of your gear is better than its ever been and really makes the grind worth it.
    -It has the right amount of ship battles and land combat so it adds variety (blag flag was far too much navel play).
    -map is huge and full of places to explore
    -Side missions seem shorter and not as repetitive as before which is good
    -Choosing your path and speech options are big big pro in my opinion, cant wait to see how my action will play out throughout the game
    -The conquest battles are fun and nice touch.
    -the emersion of ancient greece is amazing and it feels great to climb and explore famous landmarks

Cons

-The quest list gets really cluttered and confusing, the game auto add tons of quests to the list that cant even be done till later on in the game.
    - The Ariel 3D interactive map looks dull and its hard to distinguish what is what (origins you can clearly see the pyramids and other land marks on the map and it just looks neater)
    -Dialog can be a bit dull and lifeless and sometimes not in sync with their voices.
    -Parkour can be a little rough and slow.
    -Traversing sometimes misses the ledge or whatever your trying to grab completely.
    -Viewpoints are scattered quite far apart
    -Missions and enemies levelling with you is something I'm not a fan of.
    -Sometimes when trying to get from A to B by sea you get ambushed by loads of ships when you just want to travel.
    -The stealth detection is overrated and needs improving, I find it too easy to get caught and even when you do a stealth kill someone always hears and sees it and then calls for backup.
    -There is not enough incentive to play stealthy, I find the abilities and playing stealthy is not rewarding enough, I loved the stealth play in syndicate, AC123 etc this game seems like they wanted it to be more warrior mode rather than assassin.
    -Getting black screen bugs every now and then
    -The spear seems way to repetitive in its chain
    -Its hard to know what to do first or what to do next.
    -A lot of paths just take way to long to get where your going on horse back and take a longer route round rather than paths through mountains, so its easier to just climb everywhere, Greece is such a hilly place

Thats all I could think of for now but even so most of the cons I listed are not that much of a big deal.
     8 people found this helpful

Lysette88's Avatar Senior Member
    Stealth detection can be really weird at times. Like I am hidden on a roof top, I take out a guard with my bow in a single shot and this guard is basically at the perimeter - the nearest guard to him is maybe 20m away from him and looking into another direction (guarding the perimeter there, so he is looking outwards). Still he shouts loud "incoming arrows" - how the heck could he see that arrow, it was behind his back and the guy, which I killed with it, had no way to say anything anymore, he was dead in an instant. So all were alarmed in that stronghold about my presence. This is not fun.
     9 people found this helpful

How about the fact that you play in ancient times where phalanx and spartan shield were so notorious, and you get NO SHIELD ! I preorered some time ago just waiting for it, and now i saw the game was not only not on the same level as Origins, but they DETRACTED some options out. I am going to make a refund on Steam and maybe purchase it if they fix that nonsence !
     10 people found this helpful

jellejackhammer's Avatar Member
    how much AC is there in oddessy?

i mean is it as non ac friendly as some people claim or is their still some core AC stuff going on such as good stealth play,the targets etc.

is the weird detection system a deal breaker if you want to play stealthy?
     1 people found this helpful

So here are my first thoughts after 10 hours:
    A great game! Im myself are an archeologist and historian with focus on the ancient time and must say: congratulations to your artstyle and world- building! Magnificent on how much love and details were put with respect to the ancient Greece.
    Also playing as Kassandra is a pleasuring experience, her expressions and dialogues are just great and often funny put always on the right spot. Also, her outer appearance feels believable, she has an athletic body which you can believe, that she is well trained and can handle long fights.
    Also all the lovely sidequest. Very nice.

That said, Ive got only two little complains, one which is bugging me since AC Origins:
    1) these telescope-spears are some kind hilarious (more than in Origins). They are just too long, more like a 5-meter Sarissa from Hellenistic period and not like the 2 or 3-meter-long Dory of this time. Furthermore in Cutscenes NPC can have these spears (like for example Stentor or the 300).
    Maybe we can get an option for shorter spears, the animations would be the same
    2) and when Im talking about spears: its sad for me, that we dont have shields anymore. Ive read your argument on this and can understand it, but for a real ancient Greek experience there need to be at least the option for the player to choose a shield. Moreover would a mercenary in these times also carry a shield. An option for this would be great, especially for situations against more than two enemies These fights are often more doge than fight.

So it is sad, that we dont have these option (and really, these extreme long spears - ugh), but besides of that, the game is so, so great. A big world with so many lovely made landscapes. Sometimes Ive got tears in my eyes (for example walking through Delphi recognize all the parts Ive learned throughout my studies - wonderful).

Maybe you can give us the option back for shield, and this game would become even greater, near perfect.

Kind regards
     4 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by jellejackhammer Go to original post
    how much AC is there in oddessy?

i mean is it as non ac friendly as some people claim or is their still some core AC stuff going on such as good stealth play,the targets etc.

is the weird detection system a deal breaker if you want to play stealthy?
    no, it isn't. stealth feels still really good, just using a bow from stealth is weird, because someone will shout "incoming arrows" - and they were not even incoming, I was inside on a roof top, wanting to take out all the perimeter guards from this high spot - all are looking outwards - so I would always shoot into their back.

I found especially assassination from above a lot more satisfying, because the range where you can apply this assassination move is larger - the enemy does not have to be exactly below you, you have a jump range to get him - which is great, it is so fluent when you take out a number of enemies this way.
     3 people found this helpful

jellejackhammer's Avatar Member
    thank you for your clear answer !

looking forward to it more and more

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by jellejackhammer Go to original post
    thank you for your clear answer !

looking forward to it more and more
    I'm the same - I dislike bow & arrow in any games, so it won't even effect me at all.
    Very relieved!

@Dan.Aven

Did you see that Kassandra has even lowered her right gauntlet laces, because it might have hurt her. She has pressure marks of those laces on her right biceps, but her gauntlet is still fixed in the normal way on her left arm. I agree with you, that the body shape of Kassandra is very believable and I love to see no boobs armor in this game. I even find her attractive in this golden breast plate with six pack shaping. She is a gorgeous woman of natural beauty and i really enjoy her - and her sarcastic way to reply sometimes. And her facial expressions are really well made as well.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... Last ►►