View Poll Results: Should Ubisoft Quebec implement AC Origin's enemy level scaling: add it as an option?

Voters
685. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

606 88.47%
  • No

79 11.53%
    OxIdOAC's Avatar Senior Member
    500+ votes, 450 for yes, and what? Nothing.... It's like they don't care...

What i want to know is how come i can one shot lvl 50 elite soldier or commander of the random fort (assassination from behind, haven't been seen), but somehow can't oneshot lvl 46 random elite soldier? Have my spear at lvl 6 and assassin damage over 110000 + value....
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by matrikzHH Go to original post
    What makes you think, that the code you worked on is in any way comparable to AC:ODs code? I'm not saying, the system to determine all the values isn't complex. What I was trying to say was, and I may have failed doing so, that I would guess that all that has to be changed, is the way how the area levels are calculated, because everything else depends on that (*guess*)

We both don't know the codebase and it's utterly pointless to discuss it here anyway since it's all just guessing.

Besides that, I already said it earlier. I'm not even in the "I want to disable level scaling" camp anymore. I'm afraid the easy mode has to be made actually easy, which might be a really hard thing to do with all the different system that play together here.
    Which is what began this little exchange. I listed off a few things that they are likely to have to work on to make something like this work, as opposed to just flipping a switch, and the other poster went into full on rage mode about how it's just a simple flick of a switch. That's why I wanted to see the games he/she has worked on with this feature. If they are absolutely sure it's just a flip of a switch, I want to see what it is that convinced them of that. I'm arguing from the standpoint of games where I have actually done some coding, and while the language may indeed be different, the concepts are going to be similar, if not the same.

I'm in the "I don't care one way or the other camp". If it were enabled Tuesday, I wouldn't use it, but I didn't want to vote No, and so voted Yes, because that was the only other option available. I'm not struggling with the game, even on Nightmare, so it's not on my list of things that needs to be addressed. The only issue that I've actually had with the game has been addressed, the Blind King bug was apparently fixed, and that's what brought me to the forums in the first place, otherwise, I likely wouldn't be here. I don't think I had a single post in the Origins forums, I was too busy playing it to talk about it. I came because of a bug, and stayed to chat.

Originally Posted by Olympus2018 Go to original post
    500 votes later, only 1 out of 10 voted for mandatory enemy level scaling. That speaks volumes.

You paid for the game, didn’t you? They do not care about your needs, because they already have your money.

The first month is over. Most of those, who did not buy it yet, will not buy it later anyway. No matter how much more work do the developers invest. Doing more work will not bring more money. It is raw statistic based on surveys. That is the Ugly Truth.

It is business. Video game companies do not exist to entertain, but to make profit.

They produced something, we bought it. We do not like what we bought? That’s our problem.

‘We should have looked what we pay for before purchasing.’ - Maybe next time we will.

Dtheawesome9010's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by EGOdeta Go to original post
    You paid for the game, didn’t you? They do not care about your needs, because they already have your money.

The first month is over. Most of those, who did not buy it yet, will not buy it later anyway. No matter how much more work do the developers invest. Doing more work will not bring more money. It is raw statistic based on surveys. That is the Ugly Truth.

It is business. Video game companies do not exist to entertain, but to make profit.

They produced something, we bought it. We do not like what we bought? That’s our problem.

‘We should have looked what we pay for before purchasing.’ - Maybe next time we will.
    Ah the greed of video game companies I've seen some good companies I've seen some bad ones. I've seen companies that loves to make profit AND to entertain ex. Rockstar and Insomniac 2 great companies beloved by many for their hard work, care, and love they have for their games. Makes them one of the good ones. While Ubisoft just loves profit at this point where/when did they start falling into the sin of greed ever so much more than before?

Originally Posted by matrikzHH Go to original post
    What kind of strawman ist that? Why do one has to have worked on a list of games to have an understanding of algorithms? Do you have an idea or programs work? I do programming for a living for 20+ years now. No, I have not worked on any big game, and it doesn't matter. The principles of programming are more or less the same for games, applications or whatever. They have different problems to tackle, but what is discussed here, is pretty much independent of what kind of program you have.

Do you think there is some magic matrix for each possible enemies on every possible level in combination with every possible player level with hard coded values, where the looks up the amount of XP I get when I kill something.

Computers (and consoles for that matter) are fast! The level of an enemy is determined when it spawns, depending on location, player level and probably some random factor. The XP and loot you get is calculated at the same time. Maybe the frame an enemy goes down to take the potentially changed player level into account.
    Those calculated values depend on the current game state. Throw in some factors for balancing and there you go. The levels of areas, enemies and everything else, is calculated every frame (or at least every time your XP changes). Everything is dynamic and calculated the frame it is needed.

So, to disable level scaling, add an if-statement in the routine that calculates the area level caps. Or even simpler, since there is already a gap for area levelling right now. Just increase that constant from 3 to 6 for example. That is literally a one liner, or at the worst a search and replace.

Yes this is still simplified since I have no idea how their code is structured. And sure, testing such a change will be much more costly than the actual code change. But that is true, for most code changes after a launch anyway.

What would be much more complex is the rebalancing of the easy mode. That is no small feat. I guess they have a lot of variables they have to tweak and test in order to not break everything. But that has nothing to do with level scaling. At least not on a technical level.

By the way, if the amount of XP you get matters for your character after nerfing the areas, has absolutely nothing to do, wether or not it's easy or even possible to do.
    lol well said (and btw I am actually for enemy level scaling) although I have a feeling anything you say to that poster will fall on deaf ears or will likely be deliberately misinterpreted with more straw-mans.
     3 people found this helpful

Dtheawesome9010's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by AnimusLover Go to original post
    lol well said (and btw I am actually for enemy level scaling) although I have a feeling anything you say to that poster will fall on deaf ears or will likely be deliberately misinterpreted with more straw-mans.
    Probably
     1 people found this helpful

Dont mind an option for those that want that.

Personally im perfectly content with the scaling it have now.

Exactly, they have our money now, but next time I will check whether a new AC game has a level scaling, I will NOT buy it then, that was the last time. I think many will follow and won't buy the game, Ubisoft has got our money now, but will lose a lot of money in the future, this is the beginning of AC's end.

Ubi-QuB3's Avatar Community Manager
    Hey everyone,

I can confirm that an option for the Auto enemy scaling is part of our post-launch content roadmap. Stay tuned for more details in the near future.

Best
    Dom
     7 people found this helpful

Just chiming in here that this is good news for those that want it.

Also: *laughs in code*