I was messing around in QMB with the p38L and the p38Late. I really couldn't tell them apart except for the fact the "Late" seemed to overheat a lot easier (I can run the "L" at 95% pitch with full rad's almost all day long). I realize the reason I can't tell any difference is because I don't have enough experience in it. But, due to the absolute uproar this plane has created on the Lufty side, I was hoping one of the people who fly the 38 on line a lot could point out why it is SO MUCH BETTER than the other versions we already had. The difference between the "J" and "L" is noticeable, but the difference between the "L" and "Late" just isn't standing out.

This isn't a troll, just looking for an explanation.

thanks

*edit* I'm talking about the difference in the game, not the historical differences.

I was messing around in QMB with the p38L and the p38Late. I really couldn't tell them apart except for the fact the "Late" seemed to overheat a lot easier (I can run the "L" at 95% pitch with full rad's almost all day long). I realize the reason I can't tell any difference is because I don't have enough experience in it. But, due to the absolute uproar this plane has created on the Lufty side, I was hoping one of the people who fly the 38 on line a lot could point out why it is SO MUCH BETTER than the other versions we already had. The difference between the "J" and "L" is noticeable, but the difference between the "L" and "Late" just isn't standing out.

thanks

*edit* I'm talking about the difference in the game, not the historical differences.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oilburner_TAW:
    *edit* I'm talking about the difference in the game, not the historical differences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What 'historical differences' it didn't exist

In the game, the P-38L late is faster, and climb better than the L.... Way better. It accelerate faster too. Beside that, it is the same as a L.

The L-late also has dive recovery flaps. I don't think the L does.

P.S. the L-late has better speed, climb and acceleration because it has more powerful engines.

*edit, I thought that around 2000 L lates were made, seeing combat in the ETO and PTO

both L's have the dive brakes. the J doesnt. pm bss_cuda. he's the virturoso of the 38.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oilburner_TAW:

thanks

*edit* I'm talking about the difference in the game, not the historical differences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well first to clear up any confusion...the historical difference was that there was no historical difference. There was just the P-38L. Most had all the same engines...the L Late in-game just represents an upboosted version. The closest comparison is the Mustang Mark III vs the P-51C. Same plane, same engine, even looks the same...but the Mustang Mark III is boosted to RAF standards.

Anyways, the P-38L Late has the biggest difference being that its faster and it has more horsepower. So it seems "easier" because while the weight of the plane is identical...there is now more power pushing it along. I don't know the speed curves in comparison to other aircraft...but my experience is that its faster or the same as most of the opposition being nearly the same as the Mustang at some altitudes.

Aside from engine power, the plane is the same aircraft. Same weapon options, same guns, same fuel tank capacity, and the same divebrakes (available on both L versions - to correct J_Weaver). The biggest historical issue with this plane, one that would put the Luftwaffe guys up in arms about even more...is that it SHOULD have a K-14 gyroscopic gunsight...but it doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
    ...and the same divebrakes (available on both L versions - to correct J_Weaver). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sit corrected.

BSS Cuda is the guy I was thinking of. 1 or 2 months ago he had a post describing how to fly the 38 online and it helped me tremendously. The speed being the only difference makes sense now (that I haven't noticed it). I fly the P38 in the PTO and the 38L (non-late) is already plenty fast if you don't turn-n-burn with it.

thanks

MAN I was wondering why my ears were ringing

boosted engines is the only difference between the L + L-Late, (more speed + climb) the J doesn't have the dive brakes or gun pods other than that they are the same. in 3.04 the J was just a tad more stable than the L and just a little faster and wouldn't go into that deathnell flat spin as easy, I dont see much of a difference in 4.0 they appear about equal J might still be a little bit faster, I still fly the J on WC 43 maps just to keep sharp . its still the class of the field when flown to its strengths