Insane CPU heat on Rainbow Six

So recently while I have been playing my CPU has been cooking inside my computer. I could literally cook an egg on it. The weird thing is that I have turned on V-Sync to 60 FPS and brought the CPU usage from 100% down to around 40-80%. Although despite me trying so hard to cool it down my CPU sits at around 90 to 96 degrees Celsius. Other games that are a lot more CPU dependent than rainbow six have not gotten nearly has high temps as this game. Anyone know any ways to fix this?

PS. I am running a laptop which is why it also may get that hot.

Computer Specs:

Intel i7 2.2 GHz 6 core
    GTX 1060 6 GB Memory
    16 GB RAM

Raytheon...'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DamonDbug Go to original post
    So recently while I have been playing my CPU has been cooking inside my computer. I could literally cook an egg on it. The weird thing is that I have turned on V-Sync to 60 FPS and brought the CPU usage from 100% down to around 40-80%. Although despite me trying so hard to cool it down my CPU sits at around 90 to 96 degrees Celsius. Other games that are a lot more CPU dependent than rainbow six have not gotten nearly has high temps as this game. Anyone know any ways to fix this?

Computer Specs:

Intel i7 2.2 GHz 6 core
    GTX 1060 6 GB Memory
    16 GB RAM
    1. You're playing this game on a low clock speed processor.... It's struggling to run this game
    2. It's a laptop
    3. Your processor fails to meet even the most bare of system requirements for this game.

As far as a solution all I can suggest is start saving to buy a decent mid range pc.

Morfanos's Avatar Senior Member

Computer Specs:

Intel i7 2.2 GHz 6 core
    GTX 1060 6 GB Memory
    16 GB RAM
    Siege is one of the most demanding title out there when it comes to the CPU. It's not surprising to see it use most of the CPU, even on a modern CPU like yours. Without any frame rate limitation, like you did with Vsync, your CPU and GPU will work at their maximum to give you as much as they can.

As you've already seen with Vsync, limiting your framerate will help with lowering the heat. Another thing that could help would be to make sure it's always cooled properly(make sure the vents are not obstructed). If it's a "gaming" laptop, it's possible you might have a manual fan controls button that would allows you to increase the speed for the fans.

One last thing that could help would be to buy a gaming laptop cooling pad(it's basically a pad with fans inside that would put under the laptop to help with the airflow).

Other than that, there's isn't much you can do, as you said yourself, it's a laptop. That's why it's running so hot.

PS: That CPU isn't a 2.2 GHz CPU, that's only the minimum speed. Next time you want to post on a forums with the specs, use the model. In this case, I suspect you have a Core i7 8750H, meaning it's 2.2 GHz to 4.1GHz. It's one of the best laptop CPU on the market. The problem is that it's a CPU that shouldn't really exist as it's just too powerful for most laptop and will throttle down most of the time because it will be overheating.

Morfanos's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Raytheon.TEG Go to original post
    1. You're playing this game on a low clock speed processor.... It's struggling to run this game
    2. It's a laptop
    3. Your processor fails to meet even the most bare of system requirements for this game.

As far as a solution all I can suggest is start saving to buy a decent mid range pc.
    1-It's not a low speed processor... as long as its properly cooled.
    2-That's the main issue.
    3-Not true at all...

For your information, for a laptop, it's actually a very good one. You actually can't get a better "mid range" laptop than that. The cheapest laptop I can find with those specs is 1300USD. To get something better, you need to go into (or very close to) the 2000 $ price range which I don't think anyone would call mid range at that point.

Raytheon...'s Avatar Senior Member
    Minimum clock speed on CPUs for Siege since launch has been 3.3-3.4Ghz but that's changed a little over the seasons.

If your maxed at 2.2 I'm absolutely correct.

Intel has a bad habit anyway of putting hot chips in laptops with insufficient cooling and nothing has changed.

I think your dealing with thermal throttling more than anything else.

Originally Posted by Raytheon.TEG Go to original post
    Minimum clock speed on CPUs for Siege since launch has been 3.3-3.4Ghz but that's changed a little over the seasons.

If your maxed at 2.2 I'm absolutely correct.

Intel has a bad habit anyway of putting hot chips in laptops with insufficient cooling and nothing has changed.

I think your dealing with thermal throttling more than anything else.
    clock speeds mean nothing to siege if your aiming for 60fps on a 60hz display. the core count is the key thing that siege takes use of. clock speeds will get you 'extra' fps but nothing along the lines of 5-10fps increase. heck test this on your own systems, down clock the CPU and watch the frame rate differ (only at high refresh rates) will this matter, but at 60hz display then no clock speeds mean very minimal if nothing in this situation for anyone saying siege 'requires min 3.3ghz' thats bull lol thats dependant on a case by case basis and has nothing to do with this specific case at hand.

Computer Specs:

Intel i7 2.2 GHz 6 core
    GTX 1060 6 GB Memory
    16 GB RAM
    The issue with the heat is most likely because as mentioned siege loves multi core CPU's (to a limit) and if your using a 6core on a Laptop combined with imo trash heat dissipation on laptops in general, this honestly is not an issue by ubisoft but more an issue with your system in general. I dont mean anything is broke, just laptops honestly do not have the required TDP on the coolers to support half of the usage most current i7's will give and take and when throttling kicks in yeah, this becomes even more of an issue

Computer Specs:

Intel i7 2.2 GHz 6 core
    GTX 1060 6 GB Memory
    16 GB RAM
    Use Riva Tuners Statstics SErver (RTSS) to cap your frame to 60, it will have less input lag than v-sync

]Dude, it's a i7 that has "6 CORES!" That is not a typical laptop. Something else is bumping up the temperature. I suspect it's in the gaming programming because most of the pc games (including Rainbow 6 Siege) that I run on my laptop (i5) the cpu temperature is within the tolerance concerning temperature (under 80 C) with the exception of one game that runs over 90 C cpu temperature which is Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.