🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member

Mentors Guild Community Discussion - What Defines Assassin's Creed?

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, our friends at Access The Animus made a poll asking fans which elements they considered integral to the AC brand. The results were quite interesting in how much opinions varied, so we thought it'd make for a good community discussion topic.

MAKING SURE THE FANS ARE HEARD

As part of a set of new Community Initiatives, we'd like to give opportunities to the community to give more direct feedback, and will now host weekly discussion on specific topics that relate the Assassin's Creed Franchise. These community discussions will take place on the AC subreddit, the Official Ubisoft Forums, and on the Mentors Guild Twitter. These discussions will be open for 1 week. The threads and responses will be shared directly with the Assassin's Creed Community Development team, who will then pass that info on to concerned parties within Ubisoft itself.

While the Mentors get opportunities to speak directly with the creators of Assassin’s Creed and frequently communicate with the Community Development Team, this is not the case for every fan. We want to change that. We want fans to have their voices heard directly, in the same ways the Mentors do. These activities are a step towards meeting this goal. If you want Ubisoft to see what you have to say, this is the place to do it.

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC

Topic:
    What defines Assassin's Creed to you?

Info: One of the things that makes Assassin's Creed unique is its ability to reinvent itself from time to time. Even popular features get cut if they do not fit the game's time period and the Animus allows for a lot of creative freedom when it comes to introducing new gameplay mechanics or elements that might otherwise seem out of place in a historical narrative. AC: Odyssey will be the first game in the series' 10+ years of history that players will not be carrying a hidden blade, one of the most iconic features in the franchise. This has called into question just what does define Assassin's Creed? Are there "sacred" elements that should never change? Or is nothing true and everything permitted?

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

-If you had to pick 5 words to describe Assassin's Creed as a brand, what would they be?

-In your opinion, are iconic elements like hoods, hidden blades and leaps of faith necessary for a "true" Assassin's Creed game?

-Are Modern Day/First Civ/Pieces of Eden necessary for a "true" AC game? How would you feel if they were removed completely?

-Conversely, could you imagine an Assassin's Creed game with no historical narrative? One that takes place entirely in the Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

-Should the central conflict always revolve around (proto-)Templars and Assassins, or would you be interested in seeing other groups/ideologies?

-Does an AC game need an Animus or could the historical story be told through other ways, i.e. via First Civ memory discs, flashbacks, journals etc.?

-In your opinion, how important is historical accuracy/realism (physics etc.) vs. creative gameplay?

-Is there any element whose removal would ever make you think "this no longer feels like Assassin's Creed"?

-Are there elements from earlier games you would like to see return? Which ones?

REMEMBER:

While these discussions are meant to allow for honest and raw feedback directly from the community, the best way to ensure your voice is heard is to be constructive - be critical of the process, not the people. Be specific with your criticisms and suggest tangible solutions and improvements.
    We hope to see active participation and that this will be a successful way of getting the fans' voices truly heard.

Sooxzay's Avatar Member
    QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

-If you had to pick 5 words to describe Assassin's Creed as a brand, what would they be?

Modern-Day, First-Civ, Social-Stealth, Hidden-Blade, Story-telling

Hope that counts as 5 words

-In your opinion, are iconic elements like hoods, hidden blades and leaps of faith necessary for a "true" Assassin's Creed game?

Not every mechanic of that. But the direction is necessary. Its simple: What defines an Assassin?

Working from the shadows, being stealthy and using gadgets, tools, weapons whatever you want to call it, to kill bad people. And that should be done as efficent as possible. Which for me means it goes somewhat the direction like how ninja acted in the past. Or Hitmans nowadays. I mean we could give the protagonist a death note too this would maybe be as efficent as possible. It could be a piece of eden too lol just kidding ofc.

-Are Modern Day/First Civ/Pieces of Eden necessary for a "true" AC game? How would you feel if they were removed completely?

Sad because for me that actually defined the ac franchise. Its because of the lost of modern day/first civ sci fi connection to the actual game. I always loved it and it worked fine with a nice synergy for some titles. But I guess sooner or later that will happen anyway. If only the focus would then lead to the story telling and a more in depth focus on stealth and assassin gameplay to at least make the game feel like its name has still some meaning.

-Conversely, could you imagine an Assassin's Creed game with no historical narrative? One that takes place entirely in the Modern Day or during the Isu reign?

Yes. Would be awesome to gain a lot more information about the whole story around the eden artifacts, adam and eve, the grey, maybe the catastrophy and the mysteries about time since the isu have more senses that humans.

-Should the central conflict always revolve around (proto-)Templars and Assassins, or would you be interested in seeing other groups/ideologies?

There of course can be groups that split for example from others that interpret some ideologies in a different way. Maybe some of them questions others which leads to more conflicts and discussions how the world should work.

-Does an AC game need an Animus or could the historical story be told through other ways, i.e. via First Civ memory discs, flashbacks, journals etc.?

Flashbacks sound a bit weird since it has to come from a person that survived all the time? Maybe a sage or something could be possible then. Journals and first civ memory discs sound a bit weird too but would make it easier to explain why we can choose between male and female. If the explanation for such a big change would be thoughtfull I may be in but that sounds hard.

-In your opinion, how important is historical accuracy/realism (physics etc.) vs. creative gameplay?

Since there is almost literally no game that really tries to be as authentic as possible regarding physics and realism its not that important for me. Historical accuracy is a point that should be as authentic as possible depending the game. Like world war shooters. But if I decide to play games like AC with sci fi elements I dont care much about it as long as it is not ridiculous as goat simulator.

Creative gameplay is more important. The reallife is realism enough and I guess a lot of people play video games because of their fantasy and open mind

-Is there any element whose removal would ever make you think "this no longer feels like Assassin's Creed"?

The remove of stealth gameplay. As explained above when I was talking about what defines an Assassin for me this is a mechanic that has to be ingame. I would love to see the stealth aspect being expanded and more in depth without fighting wars on a battlefield since that is not how Assassins act.

-Are there elements from earlier games you would like to see return? Which ones?

Social Stealth, the hidden blade, the "fear system" from AC2/ACB where enemies drop their weapon and run for their life when seeing how overpowered the assassin is they tried to kill. But more in depth like for example enemies that remember the encounter with the assassin. Shaun and Rebecca and being able to finally god dammit talk to them about desmond and lucy after so many years and how they feel and being able to work with them together and ask questions! Finding blueprints for upgrades would be nice too like with leonardo. Throwing knives and ropes to strangle enemies. And puzzles inside tombs and also like those in AC2 with the glyphs that was awesome. I could keep going for hours.
     1 people found this helpful

strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    5 words that define AC to me are...

Cause, compassion, choice, crafting and compass.

Cause
    I think it makes it more rewarding to feel like we have a purpose why we kill and to justify it, we feel as though we are the good guys in this good vs evil fight.
    Even though the introduction of Haytham (who I liked a lot) made me have a new perspective on how blurred the line is between Assassins and Templars, as an Assassin even killing feels the end will justify the means.

Compassion
    Whenever an Assassin has shown kindness to someone who is less fortunate, or has built the city up or developed the community through quests or homestead missions... it has added something to which I can relate.

Choice
    Open world with the choice of following the main missions, pick up collectibles, upgrade your skills, do side quests or explore... even how we complete a mission is our choice.

Crafting
    Crafting and upgrading has always been something I enjoy. I still associate crafting with AC although it does not feature as much.

Compass (I had four words starting with C so why not a fifth)
    Discovery, exploration, navigational puzzles like cliffs, underwater, caves and tombs.

Iconic elements... hmm they are nice, just as I always associated synchronisation points with AC (probably more than any of the others mentioned) but I do not feel they defined the game, the leap of faith to me was a fantastic way to avoid a long climb down after just completing a long climb up so I was grateful for that.

The hidden blade, a blade has been an assassination weapon for a long time but there must have been a time before it was a hidden blade and times where it would be a less effective choice but I have no problem either way whether it is in or not. I think that when all the debates on the forum were questioning the ease of combat, the fact that the hidden blade was overpowering meant it would not fit in with the style of combat we have now. But I've suggested that Ubi could introduce Assassination targets where only the target can be killed by hidden blade... and you cannot be seen or the mission would restart (that would keep stealth fans happy).

The hood, I always like as many options as possible it makes more people happy but for me, if an item does not increase my skills or improve efficiency I have no interest... so hood up, down or no hood is not important to me. So whatever everyone else wants is fine.

MD/1st CIV... well... could I play ac without them, yes, would I want them removed? no... because they are dependant upon each other, they are the reason why we go into the historical memories (I just need a valid reason as to why we should leave them and return to the MD).

I do not see a full AC MD game ever happening with all of Ubi's and other companies present day games already around. Unless it was similar to Tomb Raider and it involved collecting PoE or other collectibles. But as I've said before, something like that would be a viable reason to return from the historical game.

Should the central conflict always revolve around (proto-)Templars and Assassins?

Well we have seen revenge in some games make it more personal than just an AvT game. Introducing an element that may have formed from rogue Assassins and Templars who are disillusioned or have their own agenda would be something new.

Does an AC game need an Animus?

Well I have always wanted a multi era game, jumping through a few time periods and we would naturally need a method to do that, whether that was an animus or anything else I am not sure if it makes a difference. The rifts worked well.

Accuracy vs gameplay. I play games to have fun and so gameplay/ sense of achievement/ fun are all top of my list. As for historical accuracy.... To be honest after we go back so many years it is all based on uncorroborated information it is just that we have got to a point where (most) historians agree on a version of an historical event (whether that is true or not) we are taught that is the accepted version. Personally I really like the events and the famous characters... even if Ubi fuse them into their own storylines it is good, they do not have to be accurate.. after all, we do not go back into the past, we're in the present day, in a machine that lets us access memories and that machine presents us with its own interpretation of the memory.

Removing the historical element would stop it feeling like an AC game to me.

As mentioned before, making the protagonist more human by allowing him the option to spare some people, to build a community and maybe craft/ trade.... is something I think makes me bond more with them. I prefer to care if my Assassin lives or dies. Also can we have another female Assassin. I really enjoyed playing as Evie and although Ubi did a good job making her skill tree slightly different from Jacob's... I would have liked it if the differences were greater, meaning that choosing the male or female character would have different benefits and disadvantages.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

Animus, history, past, present, climbing.

No.

No, although visit the past solely for a history lesson seems pretty boring to me.

I really don't see the point in it, not because I would dislike it but because I don't think a full game for that is necessary.

The game is called Assassin's Creed for a reason, so yes.

The animus should always be a part of the game, other methods to achieve what we do with the Animus can be part of it as well but in a smaller scale.

Historical accuracy is nice because it makes the whole thing (even the more fantastic elements such as 1st Civ and POEs) more believable so I think it's important to have it for this purpose. A bit of realism here and there is nice as well for the same reason. If by creative gameplay you mean things like the Medusa, I don't mind it as long as they don't overdo it. Just because the 1st civ stuff may give them a excuse to explain things like these, doesn't mean they should turn the game into a high/epic fantasy one.

The animus and the Orders' presence should always be part of the game, even if we don't call them Assassins or Templars anymore or don't wear hoods and have hidden blades because the current games are set before the "foundation" of the Orders as we know from AC1, I believe the narrative should allow us to make that distinction ourselves without much effort or at least make them very clear if we are a "third party" like Edward. This is something I don't think they got right yet, what weakens the game's identity.

Nothing I say here will ever happen so no point in answering.

ElderDarklion's Avatar Senior Member

Good Story like a good movie, animus idea, ancient time periods and ancient places, a very fantastic game which can use swords and bows, climbing everywhere.

For me yes. When I can see these elements, I don't need a description what I'm playing.

We delete them and delete hoods, hidden blades and leap of faith and change this game a full RPG. Tell me please then how can you still say this game an AC?

For me it must be that way. Story is going to show us that way at the beginning. Everything finish one day at this World and this story need a very fantastic end. Then we'll play our new RPG AC games which customize our charecters, have fantastic powers and live in Maya, Inca, Aztec, Atlantis Civ periods and have multiple ends with choice dialogue options.

In my opinion central conflict always revolve around ideologies. Because we saw Al-Muallim, Bellec, also Altair's first time at the beginning AC 1 that they don't have same ideologies at brotherhood. They have ambitious, and near same ideologies that templars have got at the game. I choose Assasin's ideologies when not goes out of control. So names will change but not change the sides.

If I answer it for old times, I say that we need animus because we have a good story to combine animus. But we loose many things these days and if they want to finish animus, no problem because we break many animus rules that seems so fantastic. Now animus is a time machine.

So important. AC is going to go to more fantastic and less realistic game. We loose harmony between realism, science fiction and fantasy. Please don't shape historical accuracy too much for more fantastic gameplay.

For me only choice dialogue option. It breaks many rules in AC Universe.

Hidden blade, the ability that we take weapons from guards,soldiers when unarmed, a combat system from AC 1 with some evolutions like more intelligent soldiers and more abilities, puzzles that sometimes make me crazy.

Have a good day everyone.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Ooh, nice deep topic, Six!

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    Hmm... I'd say "history", "pillars", "adaptive", "connected", and "mysterious".

I'd actually say that in a way they are.

I don't mind riffs on them- Jacob's more modern take on an Assassin robe, Odyssey's take on the hidden blade via the spear- but these should be the exception, not the rule.

Again, kind of a layered question.

I don't think the series necessarily needs a "Maguffin of the Year" cycle, but I would want the First Civ lore to continue and be prominent

Conversely, could you imagine an Assassin's Creed game with no historical narrative? One that takes place entirely in the Modern Day or during the Isu reign?
    Not in the main series.

I could totally see a spinoff game of some type do this, though.

The few times so far that we've seen other groups come in, it's been really interesting. I'm all for it.

Whatever works with the lore and doesn't sacrifice story.

I liked the memory discs of Revelations.

All depends on what's worth it. If we need to make tiny adjustments to facilitate more smooth or fun gameplay, that's fine.

But if we have glaringly huge historical issues that don't really pay off that much, I'm not a fan.

Looking at you, gigantic war elephants...

One of the words I used to describe the series was "adaptive", and I believe it. I think that the series could mold itself to conceivably almost any idea... as long as it's implemented in a way that makes sense.

For instance, being able to use magic-ish powers via POE in Brotherhood seems like a big departure from the more grounded gameplay of most of the first game. But it works, because the series evolved to that point. It's not like Ezio just hopped into an X-Wing and blew up half of Rome from the skies.

Are there elements from earlier games you would like to see return? Which ones?
    Sending recruits on missions is a big one

I also think that bringing back some form of multiplayer, as long as it was well polished, could do wonders for the community.

Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Great topic, SixKeys.

Thanks for sharing your feedback everyone.

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    My internet's still messed up, but I'm working on this offline - - I don't know when this one closes, but I hope to get it out tomorrow =)

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    (needs more work, but can only post it quickly while internet's back )

Assassination, history, network, stealth, parkour
    6 - shadows

Yes - Or at least a close similarity of them within the Period we're in to keep it cohesive to AC and esp. if you remove 1st Civ or MD.
    Not so much leaps of faith & as far as OD goes, I'm thrilled to have Leonidas' spear over a hidden blade.
    A signature or status Assassin's weapon is good enough with me.

No, I'm fine without them - the game to me is playing the Assassin but I think AC needs some kind of supernatural/Sci Fi element brought into it somehow whenever it's feasible for the story/location so I think 1st Civ should probably stay w/ the game - but not as a whole dialog segment I really don't understand, but at least in some capacity, maybe as a POE artifact that First Civ had already left there or whatever. Have the character who picks up it up comment about who must have left it there, etc. etc. Maybe have 1st Civ. people speak thru our character, ??

I'm fine w/out MD too - but transporting into another era needs to somehow be explained unless you just start the game right out in whatever time period it's set in and start the Assassin's story w/out any animus/portal in MD. Just play the entire game as different Assassin's in different eras. It will probly lose fans that care most about Lore tho.

If MD continues, it really needs to be amped up and done more interestingly w/ a serious plot to feel like part of the experience you look forward to rather than something that breaks immersion and forces you to do. Not necessarily making more constant in interruptions to playing our Character, but a good storyline & more to it maybe at beginning & end.
    Mystery was an amazing component to MD/1st Civ that I miss from AC2 & Brotherhood - if it's going to stay in the game. Amp it up or drop it.

I'm fine with any others as long as they're interesting and set up well in the story so that we care about it.

No it doesn't have to be an Animus.

History is important but I don't demand 100% accuracy/realism either. This is a game and gameplay is much more important.
    Historical accuracy generally makes AC unique so we actually feel like we're there in another time - but shouldn't have to be mutually exclusive to creative gameplay. I think the graphics/map accuracy are important to AC but in other things there should be some room for a broader range of items that aren't 100% to the period (however it's worked in) .
    For example OD Shields - just becuz it may have been vital Spartan equipment doesn't mean AC has to have it.
    When people expect less than 100% accuracy, we can stop pretending it's "real life" that rigidly has to be followed and play the game. It shouldn't be limiting to the detriment of fun gameplay and hopefully it would cut back on the nit-picky complaints of accuracy "mistakes" devs made. =)

Eagle Vision would be one - (or some type of vision outside yourself)
    Losing: Parkour, ambient music, stealth, history, amazing graphics, probly some assassin type clothing,

* I liked liberating areas - I liked seeing the town change - people change.. but it would be nice seeing more drastic changes from Poverty to an upscale area, people, - maybe nicer upgrade items or clothing to buy in some areas.
    If people don't want to liberate, , let the areas stay in poverty & skip it.
    * Loved recruiting my assassin group - I'd love a small network of recruits to provide justice in a Liberated region, keep enemies tamped down or report issues to me to give me missions and I liked to see them around the cities as I'd go about my game.
    * Doing some missions w/ recruits
    * Social stealth / but not to an obnoxious level where it gets annoying
    * I liked Ezio's love interests alot and Bayek's w/ Aya too
    * Short assassination missions we could pick up.

TaleraRis's Avatar Member
    Stealth, memory, history, character, conspiracy

If you're playing in a time period after the formation of the Order, absolutely. It was forgivable in Origins because that was the start of everything, but you could still see the roots of the ideals in Bayek's Medjay lifestyle. Hoods and hidden blades support the Assassins as they work in the dark to serve the light. The leap of faith is important as it is a way for the Assassins to focus themselves, face their fears, and prove their dedication to the cause of free will. These ideals held true even to the modern day in all mediums, even the movie. Nothing can truly be called Assassin's Creed without some form of them.

Yes, they are absolutely necessary for a true AC game. The struggle against tyranny in the modern day (be it Templar or otherwise) is the reason that we go diving into the past for answers. We are looking for something that aids us in the fight in the modern time period. This has been one of my biggest issues with recent games. They are skinny on the modern day. It's still there, but it needs to go back to being a central focus. We need a cause to fight for. If the modern day were completely removed, then AC would become nothing more than a soulless historical period simulator.

I think this would only be possible if the over-arching story from previous games lead up to it. This was the way we were going with the modern day story in the earlier games. But even then, we need that historical connection for the game to truly be an AC game. There would still need to be flashbacks or some reason to go into the Animus. The modern day and historical stories build on and support each other.

I think the central conflict is not really about Assassins and Templars but order versus free will. We saw this with Shay and his struggles against Assassins who were straying too far to the order side. Or more moderate Templars like Elise's father in Unity. Going all the way back to the Isu, the central conflict was those who want peace by control and those who want peace by freedom. Either group could espouse those ideas and it makes things interesting storywise when we get into grey areas instead of always sticking to the two extremes.

This is too impersonal. We need the connection to the historical character. We need to see things through their eyes and experience what they experience. The protagonist that we play may experience a physical Bleeding Effect but we experience a mental or, I dunno, a spiritual one?

I'm okay if they take some liberties. They always have. Some of my favorite things were the early puzzles and finding out "the story behind the history books". They shouldn't stray completely away, but they don't have to be razor thin precise. And it just makes it more interesting when they aren't, because it makes you look up what pieces were accurate and what stretched the truth a little bit.

I've explained most in the other answers, but I'll summarize here. The removal of the modern day storyline would remove the entire reason for studying the historical time period. Removal of the Animus would disconnect the players from the Assassin they are following the life of. Removing stealth and shadows would violate one of the central tenets to being an Assassin, that you don't work out in the sunlight. You work behind the scenes and in shadow for the good of humanity. And for the love of Pete, no time travel. You're looking to history for answers, not to cause a paradox.

I loved inspiring others to join me in Brotherhood. I loved that we had a common cause in freeing Rome. I enjoyed having them fight with me. I would love to develop them more personally. I highly enjoyed managing Montereggioni. While we've had some elements of that, I miss having that entire village and watching it and the people grow. And I greatly miss the social stealth and Blending abilities in earlier games.