Ubi-CJ's Avatar Community Manager

New for the Arcade Editor - the Scripting Tool

There is a lot of new content for Far Cry 5 this week – there is the Dead Living Zombies DLC, then you also have New Game+ for the main campaign as part of Title Update 10. But there is one more thing that we would like to highlight for you, and this new feature will be of particular interest to the Far Cry Arcade mapmaking community. It is our pleasure to present to you: the scripting tool!

With this new scripting feature, map makers can enable the player’s actions to trigger an event on solo and co-op Arcade maps. Putting together such a sequence of events will open up a whole new world of possibilities to map makers looking to create more dynamic experiences for the Arcade community!

Allow us to explain the tool in more detail: There are two key elements to scripting in the Arcade Editor: Triggers and Scripts. When these elements are linked together, they form the basis of scripting: Scripts are a series of actions that take place on a map after being activated by a trigger.

In the Arcade Editor, there will be three different types of triggers that you can place on your map:
    • Trigger look at: activate a script by looking in the direction of the trigger (while you are within the trigger’s radius)
    • Trigger volume: activate a script by entering a volume; the volume can be box-shaped or cylindrical, and its size and proportions can be customised
    • Trigger event: set a script to activate when certain events happen on the map. The event can be:
      • The death of one or several designated AI
      • The destruction of one or more designated objects
      • The arrival of a wave of enemies

There you have the triggers, but what scripted actions can they set in motion?
    • Changing the time of day and sky occlusion – either gradually or immediately
    • Spawning an object – either permanently or for a limited time
    • Making an object disappear
    • Teleporting the player
    • Activating slow-motion gameplay
    • Changing the music
    • Enabling storms and fogs
    • Spawning AI
    • Despawning AI (if they are out of view and far enough away from the player)
    • Setting/changing the position and visibility of the objective marker

You have a few additional parameters and options for the above actions too:
    • you can link multiple triggers to the same script
    • you can queue scripts if another one is currently running, so that it starts once the current script has completed
    • you can use the ‘delay’ action to create very specific sequences of events

We believe the range of possibilities of scripting will enable map makers to add entirely new dynamics to their creations, and we really cannot wait to see what the creative minds in our Arcade community can do with this powerful new tool.

Scripting is now available in the Arcade Editor as part of Title Update 10, alongside New Game+!
     9 people found this helpful

Steve64b's Avatar Senior Member
    I updated my asset list site with a filter to convey the various objects players can (de)spawn with scripting. For a list, click here.
     6 people found this helpful

emrdesign's Avatar Member
    The (un)spawning of objects is really almost useless as it ONLYworks with objects within the Gameplay folder and NOT with every object. Furthermore it would have been nice to have a script to move an object. But no, lets not give us that action.

Really like the addition of scripting!

capthindsight0's Avatar Member
    This new scripting tool is fantastic it's totally a new start Too Far Cry that changes the game and I hope it progresses in time and gets better, been having a lot of fun messing around with it and learning it kind of limiting in some ways, I wish I could link multiple scripts because you only have 10 actions within one script we need a main script brain to where we can link multiple scripts to it and multiple triggers, also hopefully in the future we can get some timers and move object features and maybe be able to script with more objects than just small physical objects

emrdesign's Avatar Member
    Its a joke! Even the origial Far Cry had better scripting options.
     1 people found this helpful

Hi, i like the new addition of scripting. But a couple of things,

I would lke to see scripting for multiplayer. Probably not all actions possible but a couple would be no problem.

Slow motion, a minimum of a minute is way too long. Minimum should be just a couple of seconds.

There should be an option of the trigger working always,
     1 people found this helpful

Put scripting in multiplayer now that you are done with DLCs, please!
     2 people found this helpful

Steve64b's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by truesurv1val Go to original post
    Slow motion, a minimum of a minute is way too long. Minimum should be just a couple of seconds.
    Is that the case only on console? On PC I can just make a script with 3 components:
    1. Slow motion action, with slomo set to < 100%
    2. Delay action, to anywhere from 0 - 999 seconds
    3. Slow motion action, with slomo set to 100%

More scripting tools

What i want to see is physics scripting. Having to ability to make objects move would be huge. You could make actual elevators and doors that slide open. You could make collapsing cities, an actual cargo bay in a plane that flies over the map that you can jump from, flying cars and traffic. Light sources that emulate traffic driving past a window or driving on a city street off in the distance. That and the addition of interactive switches and keys that would work as a trigger would really bring it together. I think it would allow to make levels that last a lot longer without getting boring. Anyone know how to submit ideas??